Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have 12EEEE feet, sometimes my boots' toes barely fit under the shift lever. Can I safely loosen the shifter nut and rotate up (Counter Clockwise) the lever and still shift as easily?
Thanx, in advance, to all you 750 veterans for your advice.

Like Coach Parcells used to tell me:

"Experience is when you screw up....& got nobody to blame"
I am VERY experienced

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
take a sharpie and mark where it is now in relation to the shifter shaft,remove the bolt and pull the shifter off and move it one notch on the splines .Then sit on the bike and see if your toe goes under the shifter as you want it too,If it does put a little blue medium strength thread locker on the bolt and torque it back down.If not move it another notch.A little move on the shifter shaft makes a big difference at the shifter end.So I guess the answer is Yes!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Second the notion. You can totally adjust it. I wish it was a smaller move though. One notch does make differance.
I also tried rotating mine up one spline just after getting my bike 2 years ago last spring.
The move was too much, (raising the pedal about 1.7" - see calculation below), and the shift pedal was too high and awkward for up-shifts IMO.
It required lifting my foot too high to shift down as well.

I pulled off the shift lever this summer and counted 32 splines, IIRC. This equals 11.25* per spline.
The distance (radius) from the center of the shaft to the mid bottom surface of the shift pedal rubber is ~220mm or 8.66".
So doing the math:
Circumference = 2radius X pi.
Circumference = 2(8.66")(22/7)~ 54.44"
Swing of the arc of one spline = Circumference of 54.44" divided by 32 splines ~1.7"

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am humbled

You guys are the top of the line people. Tried the adjustment after work, SOB...... it DOES change the alignment. Too much.
Thanks for the input. Ride safe..

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
You can remove the shifter and carefully snug it in a vice, and using a large pipe as leverage, bend the lever a bit.
Because of the shape of the arm itself, this is hard to do . Some times bending the part that has the rubber on it forward past 90 degrees a bit can help.

You can also try removing the rubber off the end and replacing it with something thinnner...

The next step would to actually cut the lever off near the end, drill two holes in the side of it, and fashion some kind of bolt on extension....or buy another lever and using the two cut in the needed places, have them welded together to make the lever longer.

You can also find thinner soled boots, do exercises to increase moblitity of your foot, or spend around 400 bucks for a set of Jardine foreward controlls.

KM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts