Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I just was reading a thread by Lance about a shift shaft and wanted to reply but I had to register so now I am a member of this forum. We have a problem with the shift shaft on our 700 Vulcan. it is bent and we need to replace the stator. Repair shop said they have to replace the shift shaft by tearing the engine down and I read that Lance says that is true. i understand. There is nothing wrong with the shift shaft but since it is bent they can't get the cover off to get to the stator. Is there a way to straighten the shift shaft without damaging it??? At least to be able to get to the stator??? Repair shop wants to charge us $2000 to do it. We only paid $1000 for the bike and already put $1000 in it. Was just wondering if we could do this ourselves because the bulk of the repair bill is mostly labor. We already have the stator and the gaskets, most likely will need a few more gaskets and maybe could get it done. Suggestions???

Steve and Terri

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Unfortunately, Lance is no longer with us.

I am sure someone will be able to jump in and give you good info soon.

The stator is under the left side cover (held on by 3 screws), so I am not sure how bent the shaft has to be to prevent you from removing the cover.

you can also search this forum for the tuxedo mod for replacing the stator.

here is a link:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16839

Good luck!

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
If it's only a little bent, I bet that cover will come off no problem.

The stator does require an engine pull, so you'll have the engine out. You can go ahead and do the full repair on it if you are up to it. Also, you may want to modify your stator cover so that you can change it without an engine pull next time (search for the tuxedo mod). Also, do the balance dampers if the bike is of any age. Theyre just behind where the stator is. The only additional tool you need is the flywheel/rotor puller, which is a bolt basically that's $10-15 on ebay.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The only additional tool you need is the flywheel/rotor puller, which is a bolt basically that's $10-15 on ebay.
Welcome to the Vulcan madness.
The bolt needed for removing the rotor is an M18 X 1.5 X 50 to 60 mm long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts