Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently replaced magneto, stator and left engine covers. DID NOT replace the shaft seal in cover. Can it be replaced without removing the engine again?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I believe it's actually supposed to be replaced with the engine in place. Just pry it out and slide the new one on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I've seen that done on dirt bikes with engine in place, just didn't want to damage anything.
Thank you again.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Just be careful not to mung up the shift shaft getting the old seal out.
Yup on that.the whole motor has to come apart to replace the shift shaft

·
Registered
450 Posts
OleDirty...hope your joking.Some on here might actually be looking for "serious" help...be a shame if they really removed the engine for no reason when that seal goes in just fine without removing the entire engine.:(

·
Registered
499 Posts
OleDirty...hope your joking.Some on here might actually be looking for "serious" help...be a shame if they really removed the engine for no reason when that seal goes in just fine without removing the entire engine.:(
You might want to read his post again. It -was- serious help. If you screw up the shift shaft doing a seal replacement, the engine has to come out and be torn open to repair it.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Sorry was talking about messing up the shifter shaft.didn't mean to get you worried.that's why I quoted the post I was referring to and said shifter shaft and not seal.sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
133 Posts
is this the seal in question here ?,,just im about to tackle changing mine too.

Attachments

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
That's the clutch linkage where the cable hooks to. The shifter shaft is on the bottom front left of the motor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts