Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, it's cleaned up enough for me to list it for sale. I have grown attached to this one in some ways, but I don't need another bike. It was fun while it lasted, went out for a little 25 mile ride this evening. Went through all the gears smoothly and up to 65mph with ease and it was smooth as could be.
20210523_190124.jpg
20210523_190124.jpg 20210523_190151.jpg 20210523_190242.jpg

Reactions: ubertalldude

·
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For those who didn't see the start of this project, this is what I started with.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great job Shark88. You just saved a really nice bike from going to the junk yard. Is this your 2nd or 3rd fixer upper?

·
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great job Shark88. You just saved a really nice bike from going to the junk yard. Is this your 2nd or 3rd fixer upper?
I think I'm up to 10, lost count lol.

·
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went through my old posts and counted the posts where I got bikes and the count is officially 10 now. I listed this last night around 10:30 and it was sold tonight by 6pm. Time for #11, lol.

·
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice. What did you have to fix when you got it?
Filter foam was eaten away. Installed new filters, plugs, battery, oil change. I had no front brake pressure, MC was all gummed up. Flushed with new fluid and started working again. New tires and spline lube. A lot of elbow grease and removed mice nests, luckily they didn't get into the wiring. Pulled the gauges & cleaned and painted the bezels. Pulled ignition cylinder and went to locksmith to have key made (key was lost). Other than that, the choke cable is sticking but I didn't get a chance to look at that before it sold. It started great without it.

Reactions: dirtrack650

·
Registered
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
139 Posts
Filter foam was eaten away. Installed new filters, plugs, battery, oil change. I had no front brake pressure, MC was all gummed up. Flushed with new fluid and started working again. New tires and spline lube. A lot of elbow grease and removed mice nests, luckily they didn't get into the wiring. Pulled the gauges & cleaned and painted the bezels. Pulled ignition cylinder and went to locksmith to have key made (key was lost). Other than that, the choke cable is sticking but I didn't get a chance to look at that before it sold. It started great without it.
Excellent. Love it...

May I ask what year and mileage and did you do any paint work on the tank and what wax/cleaner you used to keep it looking so great?

Tires look like new, what brand and size are they and can you comment on their traction in dry and wet weather and stability in turns and would you recommend these or a different tire?

Did you keep the regulator and cam tensioner stock?

And if you have time to reply, how on earth did you do the magic on all the chrome? My 2001 has these orange dots that are inside the chrome and can't be sanded or polished out. This picture is after thorough sanding and polishing with all the hi-grade polishes I know of.

Thank you!

·
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent. Love it...

May I ask what year and mileage and did you do any paint work on the tank and what wax/cleaner you used to keep it looking so great?

Tires look like new, what brand and size are they and can you comment on their traction in dry and wet weather and stability in turns and would you recommend these or a different tire?

Did you keep the regulator and cam tensioner stock?

And if you have time to reply, how on earth did you do the magic on all the chrome? My 2001 has these orange dots that are inside the chrome and can't be sanded or polished out. This picture is after thorough sanding and polishing with all the hi-grade polishes I know of.
View attachment 53458

Thank you!
Try using 000 steel wool to polish the chrome, it does wonders. I did put new tires on it, the old ones were 20 years old and still had good tread but I wouldn't feel good riding on them. I got Shinko's from Rocky Mountain ATV for $152 shipped on both. The front was a model 712 ($56.88) & the rear was a model 230 ($86.78), I only rode the bike for about 30 miles after that and they seemed to handle just fine. Paint I just washed and used a detailing spray, the brackets that hold the footpegs were rusting so I removed them and sanded the rust and shot it with new gloss black paint and touched up a few areas on the frame where spots were coming through. No work on the ACCT or Stator, no knocking or pinging and it ran really good, I got lucky there.

Reactions: kontiki891

·
Registered
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
139 Posts
Try using 000 steel wool to polish the chrome, it does wonders. I did put new tires on it, the old ones were 20 years old and still had good tread but I wouldn't feel good riding on them. I got Shinko's from Rocky Mountain ATV for $152 shipped on both. The front was a model 712 ($56.88) & the rear was a model 230 ($86.78), I only rode the bike for about 30 miles after that and they seemed to handle just fine. Paint I just washed and used a detailing spray, the brackets that hold the footpegs were rusting so I removed them and sanded the rust and shot it with new gloss black paint and touched up a few areas on the frame where spots were coming through. No work on the ACCT or Stator, no knocking or pinging and it ran really good, I got lucky there.
Very helpful info thanks.
Yeah, this is my photo after steel wool and several rounds of wet-dry and polishing. It seems these spots are here to stay sadly.
IMG_0107.JPG

·
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very helpful info thanks.
Yeah, this is my photo after steel wool and several rounds of wet-dry and polishing. It seems these spots are here to stay sadly.
If it's just the short backrest piece that the tool box mounts onto I have a spare that looks good and I also have spare side rails if they also look bad.

·
Registered
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
139 Posts
If it's just the short backrest piece that the tool box mounts onto I have a spare that looks good and I also have spare side rails if they also look bad.
Awesome, yes it is. I sent you a private message to followup on cost and shipping,etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts