Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have my engine about 80% torn down. I took it to a local shop, and had then loosen the balancer transmission, and crank bolts inside the cases for me so I could finish tearing it down.
Behind the bolt that holds the balancer on the left side, there was a bunch of aluminum shavings. The threads into the balance shaft is good, I didn't see any damage to the case, or side cover.
I have the timing chain off of the right side, it's still hooked up on the left side, and I have the plugs out. I can't turn the engine over by hand, I need a ratchet and socket to turn it over, and it's pretty hard to get it to turn over then.
One thing I noticed when I took the valve covers off that was the smell of burnt oil, like the engine had gotten pretty hot.
The cams and heads look good, there is no galling on the cams or heads.
The oil looked good when I drained it.
Where would the shavings come from behind the bolt?
Will I need to tear it all the way down? I really don't want to have to do that right now.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Recheck the case at the very left front, right next to the balancer. It is possible the balancer was hitting the case, and the damage was not as obvious as you might think. Unfortunately if you don't find the source of the shavings, you will need to tear the engine down until you do. They came from somewhere. You said you have the engine about 80% torn down, might as well go ahead and finish it, and check everything.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts