Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:have recently removed my stock air filters and got free flowing filters on both carbs, now do i need to get bigger jets?
if i didnt what problems would i encounter? only reason i ask is, ive been having problems starting when cold(hot is great) it cranks and cranks some times if fires up and most times my battery just looses power to turn over fast.built the bike from scratch so dont know what it would have run like with stock airfilters on?
any advice? is my batery sh*t or is bad starting due to fuel problem because i have standard jets?:confused:

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
If you shaved the ears then YES you'll need to re-jet, if you dont then you'll be running way to lean. You'll get all the info that you'll need within the Verses section on this forum on sizes and shims. As for the battery is it a wet cell or a MF battery? If wet cell then purchase yourself a MF battery as soon as possible. Hope that helps.

Peace:beerchug:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
info?

ok then rejet i will.
Could you guys please inform me of what kit i would need and mainly where i can get one from.

my bike has free flowing cone filters and a performance exhaust system. and has been marbled.
hope you can help???

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
ok then rejet i will.
Could you guys please inform me of what kit i would need and mainly where i can get one from.

my bike has free flowing cone filters and a performance exhaust system. and has been marbled.
hope you can help???
Baffled or open exhaust? where do you live? (elevation)

·
Newb with a Bullet!
589 Posts
Here is where I got my re-jet kit. Factory Pro.

http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prodk24.html

You need the Config 30 kit ProKit. It took them about 2 weeks to get mine to me. They had to make it (I presume that means pull the jets and put them in the little tackle box) and they were out of some of the jets at the time.

This was just a couple months ago so hopefully they have them on hand now and can get yours to you faster!

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Here is where I got my re-jet kit. Factory Pro.

http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prodk24.html

You need the Config 30 kit ProKit. It took them about 2 weeks to get mine to me. They had to make it (I presume that means pull the jets and put them in the little tackle box) and they were out of some of the jets at the time.

This was just a couple months ago so hopefully they have them on hand now and can get yours to you faster!

You can buy the shims and jets shipped for 1/3rd the price and spend the $50.00-$60.00 on something else.

Main and pilot jets are $5.00-$8.00 each and a pack of 12 shims are $6.00.

I bought that kit in 01' if I only knew then what I know now. :doh:

·
Newb with a Bullet!
589 Posts
Yeah, if you know what you're buying, what you're getting, etc. Myself, I don't know that stuff. I was glad to pay the money and know I was getting the right stuff.

I am a newb and don't have any experience or confidence inside the bike right now. I'm learning about things that are more exterior and (IMO) less scary.

If you're comfortable buying the individual jets and shims then by all means go for it!

For a newb like me though it was worth the extra dough to know I got the right stuff. It was still cheap to get the bike running stronger than ever, if you ask me.

Maybe someone here who really knows can give you a shopping list? I could look and see on my kit, I think it says on that paper what it came with. I'd have to look when I get home.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
I'm guessing you don't need all 12 shims, cause even when I went to school, back in the one room schoolhouse daze, 12 shims for $6 is the same as 50 cents apiece... :)
You only need 4, 2 on each needle...LOL

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
1 pack of needle shims or 5 if you can buy them seperate 1 extra if you loose one

2- Keihin Main Jets 99101-393-140 with factory exhaust
142 with performance exhaust
145 with open exhaust

2- Kiehin Pilot Jets N424-22-40 with factory and performance exhaust
42 with open exhaust and closer to sea level

2 shims under each needle and pilot screw turned out 2 1/2 -3 turns from closed to start.

This setup is good for 700-1500 feet above sea level with K&N pod filters.

·
Newb with a Bullet!
589 Posts
Thanks, Lance!

You know now that we know I was running straight pipes (unbeknownst to me at the time) that explains why I had to use the biggest ones of everything to get mine to run right!

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I'm guessing you don't need all 12 shims, cause even when I went to school, back in the one room schoolhouse daze, 12 shims for $6 is the same as 50 cents apiece... :)
Some places won't sell them each you have to buy the whole frikin pack. :doh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts