Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some pics of the stock seat I just shaved down.I took an 1 inch and a half out of the back of the seat tapered to nothing at the front and then cut the "back rest"portion of the riders section straight down instead of angled to the front.What a big difference!!!! A lot more comfortable!!!!

Attachments

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Lookin' good.
You're certainly giving that bike some nice custom touches :smiley_th

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tim!!! One of these days soon I want to pick up a spare stock seat to cut down into a Corbin Gunfighter style solo seat for when it's just me rideing!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Looks good, I've been trying to think of something to do with my seat other than buying a mustang (too much $$ right now).

I've looked at the VN 1500A's seats and think I could make something work, but I might try and shave my stock seat in the mean time....I also like where you put your helmet locks. I'm gonna steal that idea for sure. :rockon:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to agree with you on the mustang seat(For Now Too Much $$$$$).Be my guest and use what ever Ideas you want!!!!This seat mod is real easy just took my time and did it on a real warm day so the cover streached real nice!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bman, good looking seat mod.
I noticed you did a "2" rear drop w/ fabricated brackets"
I understand how the right side goes on but I haven't seen any pixs of the left, I am interested on doing the mod. could you post a pick of the left side or direct me to pics and measurements? Also I assume you have to replace the original axel bolt with a longer one, if so could you clue me into how long?

BVP

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The brackets are the same for both sides.The Axel bolt is the original,on the swingarm side you have to make the shoulder area around the axel hole flush so everything lines up nice.I'll try to get some pictures posted today or tomorrow of the brackets with a tape measure held up to them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your seat looks good!

We're doing something similar with my wife's seat. We had this guy work on it and he messed it all up, so we bought a used seat from a junkyard to use while we redid the original seat. We got some gel from Kno Place along with some memory foam. I shaved the stock part down like yours, a more steep angle, and still need to cut out the depth for the gel and memory foam. The gel pad is going to wrap around the sides of the seat where her legs sit, and go up the back part of the seat. I got some sheet metal which we'll use to extend the seat on the back, and have a tab for bolting it down to the fender. We're having another guy fab up some new fender brackets for us to eliminate the upward swoop part where the backrest/sissybar on the stock seat is. We're going to relocate the tail lights back some with the new rails.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You've got to post some pics when your done!!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That would be great,and would help out a lot when myself or others go to do the same.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What kind of tools did you use to shave the foam with BMan? I'm thinking of doing some tinkering this weekend.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well believe it or not a Ginsu bread knife!!!I first measured down 1.5 inches at the back and then took a straight edge and marked a line from that to nothing at the front on both sides.And then keeping the knife as flat as possible slowly cut the foam.And then with the piece gone I smoothed it out with my small angle grinder with a very fine rol-lock scotchbrite wheel lightly smoothed it out(very messy WEAR A MASK!!!!!)Then streach the cover back on and staple it down.

·
Registered
236 Posts
So the Ginsu is good for cutting soda cans, and shaving seats.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
415 Posts
By the way, some of the professionals use electric carving knives for foam trimming. They work great!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did not use any extra foam.Just took away excess foam.The flyscreen is great.Blocks a lot of bug and wind from my chest and face.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I've been sitting on this question to long now. I'm ready to mod my seat but I have to ask. What type of staples? I mean if you just shoot a staple into the side of the seat, couldn't it work back out? You can't get to the other side to bend them in. I just want to get a good feel for what I'm infor. Thanks!

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I did mine and just used staple gun staples, I think they were 1/4 intch pointed.
they did not loosen, I hava a Corbin now bit the modified seat is in the attic now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts