Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a call from my dealer where I bought my vulcan. When I first learned about problems with the splines and lack of grease, I called him to see if Kawasaki would check for grease under the warrenty. The dealer informed me that they would not check for grease under warrenty.

Well now the dealer calls me up today and informed me that he contacted kawasaki and they told him that kaw would foot the bill to check for grease on the splines. Well Well,, its amazing what a phone call to Kawasaki will do.
The dealer told me to bring the bike in and they will tear it down to check for grease with no cost to me. Well too late for that because I did the tear down and added the moly grease where it belongs.

He said that kawasaki recognizes there might be a problem with the 06's and that certain vin numbers ie vn10xxxx to vn20xxx might have a problem.
For all those of you have an 06 and those who have later model 750's call your dealer. My Dealer is Mahopac Kawasaki located in Mahopac NY. Phone # 845-628-3472.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It's about time they admitted the spline problem, sounds like they should have done this years ago for all the others who were not so lucky.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your right. I didnt want to wait so I went ahead and checked with only 1k on the clock. Good thing I didnt wait. VERY little grease. All is well now.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Thanks for the good news Rubline although I'm not sure how competent
my dealerships mechanics are. When they put new tires on my son's bike
they gouged and scrached the wheels and when I had my valves adjusted
on my Honda Foreman they had a relatively inexperienced mechanic do the
job and he messed it up.

I think if I want piece of mind that my splines are lubed I had better do it
myself. Now I just have to buy some good grease...is Mobile 1 synthetic
grease OK for the splines? It's recommended for Universal joints and bearings
and other things.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems the most used grease around here is Moly 60. its a grease with at least 60% molybdenum disulfide. I bought an 8oz jar and it cost me around 24.00 bucks. Its not cheap, but its worth the extra cash for the protection it gives you.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Ok, can I say.. Told ya!
BTW.. I talked to an engineer from Kawasaku 2 years ag at one of the VROC events. He said there were notices that went out to the dealers telling them to check and also what type of lube to be sure and use.

also, Most Honda shops carry Moly 60 in a 3 oz tube, good for 2-3 lubes depending on where all you use it Price range for the 3 oz is about $7-9, whuch works out to about $3 a spline lube. A whole lot better than $1000 for a new rear end.
http://powersports.honda.com/the_go...&PartValue=Moly+60+Paste&TheGoodsDir=2&bhcp=1

·
Registered
80 Posts
Since you've mentioned '06 VN750s, does anyone have some idea of which 'vintages' of Vulcan are affected? I ride a '94 - has anyone with a '94 checked splines, and with which results? My local KawaDealer is a duncehead, it's impossible to get him to cooperate without promise of actually paying.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Most all 750's seem to have little to no lube.
Best to check yours to be sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts