Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Cycle Gear today and picked up a new Bilt Demon Helmet. I was thinking about one of their Bluetooth Integrated helmets but I flinched at the $399 price tag. I was looking at some less expensive ones when my wonderful wife walked up with a helmet bluetooth kit on sale for $79.99. I got it with the helmet and put it on at home. It's a Seven Zero Seven "Contact" Helmet Communication System.

Installing it in the helmet wasn't too difficult once I got the speakers in the right place where they weren't pressing on my ears. It required a screwdriver to attach the mount to the helmet. Pairing it with my phone was easy. While riding I had my wife call me and the sound on my end was loud and clear, but a little tinny; I'm not sure it would do justice to music, but I'm rather picky about music. my voice back home was clear and not obscured by wind or bike noise at 55 mph. I also had her send me a text so I could do voice texting back, and it worked. Keep in mind it doesn't work for initiating a call or text, just answering; to place a call you need to hold a phone it your hand and push the buttons, then this system can take over. Overall I would recommend it for the price.

·
Super Moderator
11,825 Posts
Is that a full face helmet?

Calling out can depend on the phone you have. iPhones have voice dialing...if you have a "activate phone" button on your Bluetooth device. If not, you can do this on the phone by holding down just one external button.(not too hard to do while riding)

I plan on getting a mount for my phone anyway...so I can use the GPS feature and listen to music I've downloaded.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Believe it or not, tis actually works when you have a windshield. Works on my open face as well and better in my full helmet. Plus it is the best sounding out there and loud as sht. SORRY! Just saw your post. I use mine with my half helmet for music and it blows my head off. I listen to Mark Levin riding in every morning. Your phone must be low.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-HBS-730-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B009A5204K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415803236&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+headset

I'd say it would work better if i actually found a way to mount it inside my full face. it does rock as far as music. it's around my neck with my jacket covering it with just the ear buds run up through my helmet. do you have it inside your full face? i love listening to mark he is one of my favorite reporters.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
The end is uncovered enough and cose enough to be heard to the point that they seem to hear me better than I hear them and most times they don't know I'm on the bike. I have a harley so go figure.

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that a full face helmet?

Calling out can depend on the phone you have. iPhones have voice dialing...if you have a "activate phone" button on your Bluetooth device. If not, you can do this on the phone by holding down just one external button.(not too hard to do while riding)

I plan on getting a mount for my phone anyway...so I can use the GPS feature and listen to music I've downloaded.
Its a modular helmet. The phone system has 2 mics; a stick-on mic for a full face helmet and a boom for open face or modular helmets.

The phone button is just for answering incoming calls. My Windows phone does voice dialing but I still have fish it out of my pocket and take a glove off to push the button.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,694 Posts
Believe it or not, tis actually works when you have a windshield. Works on my open face as well and better in my full helmet. Plus it is the best sounding out there and loud as sht. SORRY! Just saw your post. I use mine with my half helmet for music and it blows my head off. I listen to Mark Levin riding in every morning. Your phone must be low.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-HBS-730-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B009A5204K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415803236&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+headset

interesting. but if these use "ear buds", then they are not "legal", here in Ohio. :(

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,694 Posts
Laws never stopped me. :) They are not "legal" here either I believe, but I've never met or heard of anyone getting a ticket for it.
I have! I've read where not only did people get tickets for it, but they we going to court over it!

no thanks. I don't need to give the cops any more reasons to pull me over and ruin my ride/day.

I'll just stick with my "Helmet Speakers", which are totally legal in Ohio.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,694 Posts
Guess the cops in Ohio are all just ass holes...sorry for you...:(
not all of them. but why take the chance?!

Ohio being the third state with the largest # of motorcycle riders (only FL. and CA., have more) you might not hear about such things happening in your state.
so, yeah, the cops do/have enforced this law, in Ohio. the guy who was taking it to court, was ticketed for having ear plugs in his ears. ear plugs are illegal here too!

and even if they weren't, I'd still not use ear buds. I've tried them and I can't here a damn thing but music when I have those things in my ears. to me, not safe. no thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,825 Posts
And yet it's perfectly legal to ride a motorcycle in your state if you're totally deaf... Lol.

I always wear hearing protection, and use noise "canceling earbuds" if I want to listen to music.

Guess I'm a criminal....;)

(I've also been known to drive over the speed limit......)

:) How much is the fine there for having hearing protection?

Have to figure what you're hearing is worth to you I guess...;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
i can still hear my bike with my ear buds in. it's almost more important to see what's around you than to hear it.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,694 Posts
And yet it's perfectly legal to ride a motorcycle in your state if you're totally deaf... Lol.

I always wear hearing protection, and use noise "canceling earbuds" if I want to listen to music.

Guess I'm a criminal....;)

(I've also been known to drive over the speed limit......)

:) How much is the fine there for having hearing protection?

Have to figure what you're hearing is worth to you I guess...;)
good point. I never thought about deaf people riding. Hmmm

if your worried about your hearing, then get quieter pipes.

also, it I get pulled over for speeding and I have ear buds on, then I get 2 tickets instead of 1. maybe you can afford to get tickets like that. but I can't afford even a parking ticket! :(

·
Super Moderator
11,825 Posts
I'm not suggesting anyone break the law of course. My issue is about a bad law here. It's been proven that many cycle riders are in fact damaging their hearing by not wearing hearing protection when they ride.

It's not your loud exhaust....it's the constant wind noise. Riders tend to tune it out, that dull roar of air that blasts your helmet. Tall wind screens and type of helmet can help. But not always.
My windscreen does nothing about airflow to my head. And even though my helmet is considered "fairly" quiet....40 miles at highway speeds up without earplugs is hard to take...

I can understand the reason behind making stereo in ear headphones illegal, but hearing protection? That's fairly stupid.
Perhaps you should start a movement to fix this in your state. Have them read articles like this:
http://www.motorcycle.com/features/motorcycles-hearing-loss.html

·
Registered
468 Posts
that was pretty good info. i would say the ones making the laws have never been on a motorcycle.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,694 Posts
I'm not suggesting anyone break the law of course. My issue is about a bad law here. It's been proven that many cycle riders are in fact damaging their hearing by not wearing hearing protection when they ride.

It's not your loud exhaust....it's the constant wind noise. Riders tend to tune it out, that dull roar of air that blasts your helmet. Tall wind screens and type of helmet can help. But not always.
My windscreen does nothing about airflow to my head. And even though my helmet is considered "fairly" quiet....40 miles at highway speeds up without earplugs is hard to take...

I can understand the reason behind making stereo in ear headphones illegal, but hearing protection? That's fairly stupid.
Perhaps you should start a movement to fix this in your state. Have them read articles like this:
http://www.motorcycle.com/features/motorcycles-hearing-loss.html
I agree. you are not suggesting to anyone to break any laws.

yes, I have read about the effects of wind noise on motorcycle riders too.

this is why I, myself, did a lot of research to find the best helmet for low wind noise, I could afford to buy. it cost me a pretty penny. but man it was worth it. although some of my friends couldn't understand why I would spend so much $ on a helmet.

I agree the law needs changes to be made to it. as for starting a movement? Ohio ABATE is already on it and working to get the law changed.

also, here in Ohio, there are no helmet laws. so riders have a CHOICE, they can choose not to wear a helmet at all.

i would say the ones making the laws have never been on a motorcycle.
I believe you are correct on that statement!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts