Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am currently riding from the UK through Europe on my '93 VN750. So far my girlfriend and I have covered 1700 miles from the UK through Holland, Germany, Austria, Slovenia and finally Croatia.

My grirlfriend flies home in a week to start a new job. I on the other hand have a few months free to roam or to return to England.

I am seriously considering travelling East from Croatia through Eastern Europe into Russia, then Kazakstahn, China and finally Thailand.

This would be a further 9000-10000 miles. A couple of days spent on the internet have shown that VISA's and insurance should be relatively straight forward to acquire.

I am looking for info on modding the bike for the trip. Namely the tyres/tires. I currently require a new back tyre. The one on the bike has worn past the wear indicators and has suffered two punctures, the second running the tyre off the rim and making me loose confidence in the remaining strength left in the tyre. The front tyre is an Avon, stock size, white wall. It has plenty of life left in it but it doesn't feel great on the road, it seems to track anything it comes across, lines and cracks. It is also a "good road" tyre, not for any kind of gravel and not good in the wet.

Has anyone any advice on two new tyres. The roads I may be travelling on will be rough in places. I wont be planning any off roading but am expecting gravel on the road, cracks, pot holes and plenty of rain.

Should I go for some oversize tyres? Will these benefit me with handling, reduced RPMs, etc. Or should I stay with stock sizes.

Anyone know of a make with good grips that may suite some very occasional rough road use?

Is there any simple way to get a bit more ground clearance out of the bike? Even an inch may help.

Cheers,

Gabriel

·
Registered
401 Posts
IMHO, check into a set of Kenda Kruz. Hopefully they will be available in your area. They are an oversized tire that will fit the VN750. The stock size front tire does track a bit more. With the Kenda's, they are wider and taller. The width helps to improve stability and reduce tracking. The height does give a little more ground clearance, but its nothing noticeable.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
I will tell you this - as a Kenda Cruz owner - While they are good, inexpensive tires, they are noisy tires. I can hear the front 110/90 "singing" as I ride. Perhaps it's the close proximity to the fender, but it bugs me - even if only a little bit.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can get the Metzler Marathons in the UK. Also Continental Milestones. Theres plenty of people recomending the Metzlers. Anyone recommend the Continentals?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK.....I guess it shows my in-experience of bikes. After doing a little research I dont think I would find (or even really need) semi-off road tyres for a VN750.

I think only a very small percentage of the roads I might be going on will be rough tracks. But I guess they're the kind of places where locals ride along them on scooters with bald tyres all day long.

I'll just have to do my best to avoid those kind of roads or ride very slowly. Most bikes that do the trip are the big BMW GS's and the like.

I'm thinking the Metzlers at the moment. They aint cheap over here though, about £200 for the pair, but they've got an interesting journey ahead so hopefully the cost will inspire some confidence in me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I will tell you this - as a Kenda Cruz owner - While they are good, inexpensive tires, they are noisy tires. I can hear the front 110/90 "singing" as I ride. Perhaps it's the close proximity to the fender, but it bugs me - even if only a little bit.
LOL I have drag pipes I cant hear my tires sing. I do like the Kendas though

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
msh1156, I just put on Kenda Kruz tires on my bike, and i love them, you say they are noisy?? I don't have that problem at all. I'm not sure what noise you are hearing, or if its the proximity to ur fender like you said, i just wanted to tell you that I dont have that problem, mine are quiet, no singing, lol..
So you may, i repeat, may want to see if its something in your alignment, front axle, or brakes (pads).
Just trying to help man.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
If you can get the Metzeler ME880 "Marathons" where you are, then those will be a great choice for you. They are a high-mileage tire (e.g., 15,000 miles or more) and should last you for the entire length of your trip.

The largest tire sizes that have a proven track record of fitting the VN750 are:

front: 110/90-19

rear: 170/80-15

If you can afford it at all, go ahead and put a new Metzeler ME880 on the front and the rear (especially for a trip of that length), and use these sizes given above (the larger sizes will give you more "bite", especially in adverse conditions). After you break them in, you will almost feel like you have a new and bigger bike! Be sure to use gradually harder lean angles for the first 100 miles or so, until the slippery factory stuff wears off the new tires.

Basically, the Vulcan 750 is designed as a "street" bike and is not really meant for "dirt" or "off-road" use. Given your short time window for more preparation, increasing the ground clearance is a tough act.

Be aware of the "phantom out of gas" syndrome if you are riding your bike thru warm climates on your trip. It is more prevalent in hot weather, and you may encounter it under those conditions:

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14507

This sounds like a truly epic trip. Do have a safe ride, and be sure to share more pictures with us when you get back!....:beerchug:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Consider this for your front tire:
TOURANCE It's a radial but I do know guys that mix and match w/o problems.

and for the rear:
Shinko 170's

I ride interstate, county, and gravel roads. For your trip, you will need good tires. I'd put one of the many used products to seal and balance your tires asap. There's nothing worse than a flat in the middle of nowhere. The smaller front tire will take most of the beating so I suggested a dual purpose that's designed to take the abuse.

Have fun, wish I could do the trip with you...

DT

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers for the links Dirtrack..................Wow.....the Metzler Tourance certainly seems like a good choice for the front tyre. Any idea of the expected mileage?

So far I'm thinking the Metzler Tourance on the front and a Metzler Marathon on the rear.

Sorry.......Could you expand on "I'd put one of the many used products to seal and balance your tires asap"................do you mean pack a can of the puncture repair aeorosol? Are there other products that I might find useful. A guy in Zagreb was telling me about a new quick fix puncture repair kit that allows fixing of the puncture without removing the wheel. It is some kind of rubber screw that goes into the tyre through the hole then you wind it out and it expands from the inside of the tyre sealing the hole. Anyone any experience using this?

Wish you were coming too. I am getting a little apprehensive as its nearly time to decide whether I'm going. I work freelance so can pick and choose work quite easily. There is a 6 week job that I have been requested for starting mid-July. If the job comes off I will be leaving my bike out here in Eastern Europe (saving me 1500 miles back to the UK, then 1500 miles back to Eastern Europe), then will be returning after the job is finished to ride to Thailand. Also I will have a bit more money and will be able to afford to carry on the journey. If so I may be shipping my bike out from Asia somewhere to America and will cross America from West to East, then ship it back to Europe to complete a round the world ride. If the job doesn't happen I will most likely set off for Thailand within a couple of weeks.

Cheers for the info on the Phantom out of Gas problem. I was suffering this problem in the weeks before I left. I found a link suggesting the complete removal of the air valve in the tank cap. I tried this and have had no more problems. I haven't noticed any loss in petrol through the breather.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Here is a link to Ride-On tire sealant and balancer. It is THE recommended product on this board.
http://www.ride-on.com/

With this installed in your new tires, hopefully you will never need to repair a flat on the road. It is advertised to seal punctures up to 1/8" immediately. It is reported to help lengthen tire life as well, because you never ride on a low tire due to a slow leak.

This product is water soluble and washes out easily with with a garden hose, so IF you need a tire repair, the shop tech won`t hate you. (Use of "Slime" sealant, among others, may evoke this reaction, as well as make it impossible to apply a patch to the inside if needed.)

I read one account of a motocross racer scraping the Ride-On sealant out of his worn out tire and pouring it back in the new one, during a multi-day race when he didn`t have a new bottle to use. His comment was, "You don`t throw out what works!"

Here is a link to Stop and Go with their mushroom head rubber tire plug for "on the bike" tubeless tire repair.
http://www.stopngo.com/

Check out their complete product line and accessories. They have two different 12V mini air pumps, a spark plug opening powered air pump hose, a footpump air "lossless" system for tires and shocks, and CO2 inflation systems.

Also note the patch/plugs ( sometimes called "stingers") for an off the wheel, inside the tire, repair with a "stem" that is pulled through the puncture to the tread surface. You might want to carry a few of those with you for the trek through the hinterlands.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Dirt Track is probably referring you to something like "Ride On" tire sealant:

http://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp

A number of us on the forum here swear by this material. It can easily save you from having to do a tire repair job in the middle of nowhere (at night, in the rain, etc).

I use it, too. It's great piece of mind on longer rides.

Stay away from "Slime" and the others--"Ride On" is the one to beat..!...:smiley_th

Nonetheless, it's still a good idea to carry a tire repair kit along with you, especially on a trip that long. Be sure you know how to use the kit b4 you really need to!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey, so you might have purchased tires by now, but I just got a recommend in my JakeWilson account for front dual-sport tires that fit our vulcans:

Bridgestone TW101 - 71.99

Avon Distanzia - 89.99

Dunlop D607 - 91.99

Michelin Anakee - 108.99

I don't know if you can get any of these in your part of the planet though. Also, some of them (def the Bridgestone) look like they have a knobby ridge so you might not be able to fit a 110 and might have to stick to a 100.

I have to disclaim this by telling you I pretty much know diddley squat so far, I'm a real green rider (a month kind of green) I only know what i know because I've researched my tail off on here and other places and just bought a new set of rubber myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts