Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, maybe not self healing, but damn close. My bike wouldn't start before I went on vacation. I had the local shop do a load test on the battery before I left and it checked out. When I came back from vacation, everything started fine and I haven't had any problems since then. So, my thought is the load test fully recharged the battery and that I have a small energy leak (it got low after 3 or 4 years). I think some of it might come from a low idle while not in motion. What RPMs should I be idling at? I'm currently right at 1000.

I think I'll go through the ElectroSport fault finding flow chart too just to double check.

Also, my plugs might be the originals. Any preferences on plugs?

Thanks,
Tex

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Get the iridium plugs. A little pricey, but you'll never have to change them again.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
well that is so long as you dont foul them up by running rich, or burn then by running to lean. I prefer regular old autolites....

·
Registered
553 Posts
Tex, it could be possible that maybe you gad water in a connection and a short which dried out while you were gone. Kinda like in the "old days" if you got water in your distributer cap.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
I am an iridium guy myself. Changed out from originals, now cold and hot starts are amazing. If you change to the plugs- be sure to use anti-seize on the plug threads. True, if everything is running correctly, you never need to change them out, but a welded plug to the threads is no fun when and if you ever have to take them out.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Most likely your no start problem was a dirtly electrical connection since it seemed to "heal itself" after you had the battery load tested. I am assuming it had to be removed to do that. The reinstall probably cleaned the terminals and allowed full current to flow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just put new autolite 4164's in (I'm pretty sure that's the correct p/n). Runs like a champ. Plugs cost $1.89 apiece. At that price, I'll change them every year, or more. Check with local dealer to cross-over the recommended NGK # to autolite #.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
The plugs are a choice that you have to make yourself, just like the battery. If you don't have any problems starting the bike, and your battery is shot, do you get another wet cell battery that has been working fine, or do you get the Maintenance Free battery? The second costs a lot more, but you don't have to check your water levels, and it will fix the hot start problem if you should happen to have/get it. Similar with the plugs. You can have regular inexpensive plugs that start the bike, but you have to change on occasion, or you can get the iridium plugs that never need changing (and everyone raves about), but are expensive.

Then you have your obligation to keeping people employed making plugs, or keeping excess plugs out of the dumps.

Your choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts