Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the service manual today and I see that the VN 750 A1-A4 has self canceling turn signals, which would be really nice. I suspect that mine does not have this feature. Seems I remember the suffix is A18. Anybody have any info on this? Also, how is the tach removed? Mine is vibrating and seems loose. Since it was replaced by the PO, I'm assuming something wasn't put back correctly. I saw the self tapping screw in the bottom of the tach and thought it would allow the case to be separated but I couldn't get it apart. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I was looking through the service manual today and I see that the VN 750 A1-A4 has self canceling turn signals, which would be really nice. I suspect that mine does not have this feature. Seems I remember the suffix is A18. Anybody have any info on this? Also, how is the tach removed? Mine is vibrating and seems loose. Since it was replaced by the PO, I'm assuming something wasn't put back correctly. I saw the self tapping screw in the bottom of the tach and thought it would allow the case to be separated but I couldn't get it apart. Suggestions?
As far as the tach shaking there are several on here who have put small washers on the mounting bolts to squeeze the little rubber grommets tighter against the mount to compress the rubber more and it usually cures the shake you speak of.

I tried to find the thread on it and didn't .I am sure there are some on here that will read this that have done so and chime in soon.

Yours does not have self canceling signals and there were a few more components and the wiring harness was different for the ones that did.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My self canceling thumb sometimes doesn't work either. The manual described a solenoid that returned the switch to off after a certain amount of time and 50 meters had elapsed. I didn't think there was any way a solenoid could be housed in the blinker switch.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
There would probably have been a little timer in the control line for the little solenoid. From what people with self canceling blinkers on this site have said they worked so poorly they don't use them. Some vehicles like bikes and 18 wheelers use different ways to turn (unlike a car) so be happy you don't have them. A bike can lean through or even countersteer and a 18 wheeler often will "buttonhook" a turn to gain clearance for the trailer.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
There would probably have been a little timer in the control line for the little solenoid. From what people with self canceling blinkers on this site have said they worked so poorly they don't use them. Some vehicles like bikes and 18 wheelers use different ways to turn (unlike a car) so be happy you don't have them. Av bike can lean through or even countersteer and a 18 wheeler often will "buttonhook" a turn to gain clearance for the trailer.
x2 !

My '86 A2 has thankfully had them removed/bypassed by PO. ....and I've read, nothing but problems.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
I think everthing for the self cancelling signals was housed in the speedo, except for the solenoid to cancel. and of course additional wiring involved.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe they were so troublesome Kawasaki just stopped trying to use them. Any suggestions on how to get the tach apart so I can get to the mounting bolt would be appreciated. I can live with the vibrating at certain speeds but its just one more little thing I'd like to fix.

·
200% senile
164 Posts
My Vulcan Mean Streak has the self cancelling turn signals. I wish it didn't. They only stay on for like 8 seconds or so and then turn off, so I have to repeatedly keep turning them back on to let the cagers behind me know that I'm turning. That self cancelling function is nothing more than a ongoing frustrating aggravation to me.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thought about a shim of some sort but I really thought I could remove the tach without too much trouble. I think I'll try a shim and its hidden behind the windshield anyway. That'll be a much easier fix. Thanks for the tip!

·
Super Moderator
11,966 Posts
The tach and speedometer mount to a metal bar that bolts to the bottom of the "center console". Many times one of the bolts, either in the gauge or in the console strips or is broken.

To find out you need to remove the bottom panel on the console to un bolt the metal arm and slide the cover off the bottom of the gauge in question.

This requires removing the headlight, and is just a pain, but can be done.

I removed the gauges and console from my project bike for painting.... I found that two of the bolts on the bottom of the center console had been broken and badly repaired with JB weld by one of the previous owners.
(Proving to me the bike was crashed at some point)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd gotten the bottom cover off the console and the bracket that holds the tach was loose. I tightened it and its much better but still shakes. I was trying to get to the bolt that holds the tach to the bracket but didn't get very far. I wasn't sure how to separate the two parts of the tach housing and the cabling into the tach has very little slack to work with. I think I will just try some sort of shim for now. As long as it stops shaking that's all that matters.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I was surprised to realize that my 86 (which I've had for only a week) has self-cancelling signals. It's cool, but as others have said, it can also be annoying. As a new rider, it's not unusual for me to plan my turn really early, and to activate my signal sooner than my 750 thinks I should. So a couple of times I have noticed the signal wasn't blinking anymore and I had to turn it back on.

Generally it's been cool, though. Not that it matters much, because the indicator is easy enough to see that it's pretty unlikely I would miss the fact that I leave it on, and turning off the signal isn't that problematic.

For the most part, I never have to turn it off after a turn, but I always turn it off after a lane change. Glad to know it's only on some years and not others. I get so used to the idea of all of these bikes being just alike that it's surprising to run into things that have changed.

·
Diesel Tech
136 Posts
I have an A5 so I missed out on the self-canceling. Only thing I really wish it had is the center cancel button like most bikes have. Kind of embarrassing to occasionally tag the other signal when canceling.

Reactions: readparse and Thorn

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
They stopped them in 88. My 88 has them and i love it. It's annoying at long lights because they cut off, but better than riding 3 miles with your blinker on anyway....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an issue similar to this see if anyone can help. I have a 99 vn750 had to replace the turn signal assembly, I ordered one on eBay didn't realize that the 86 had a self cancelling feature. Anyone know how to rewire it to fit my bike. The issue with the old one was the dimmer switch burnt up so if I can harvest wires or plug from that one it should be no prob. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Kind of embarrassing to occasionally tag the other signal when canceling.
Indeed it is. I have the auto-canceling (86) and I still do this sometimes on things like lane changes.

All in all, I think I get more out of auto-canceling that I lose. Yes, it's annoying to signal well ahead of my turn and then to realize that it's not still on by the time I get there (and no, I'm not signaling TOO far ahead. It's just a weird combination of things that the auto-cancel feature looks at. I think downshifting before I get to the turn is one thing that turns it off). But I don't hate the feature like some people do.

Edit: I was reading back through these messages and realized that I commented on this thread already, just like 4 comments back. Duh. Sorry to be repetitive.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have an issue similar to this see if anyone can help. I have a 99 vn750 had to replace the turn signal assembly, I ordered one on eBay didn't realize that the 86 had a self cancelling feature. Anyone know how to rewire it to fit my bike. The issue with the old one was the dimmer switch burnt up so if I can harvest wires or plug from that one it should be no prob. Thanks in advance.
Just to be clear before I look into what a conversion would take, you're looking to install the self-cancelling ones you bought, but use them as manual on your 99?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts