Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the turn signals supposed to be self canceling? According to the manual they are. Mine don't. I asked about them at the local dealer ship and was told no. Is there an electrical part that needs to be replaced. Or is there an easy way to cancel them. I keep riding down the road with my turn signals flashing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mine don't self cancel... Don't let that be the model by which to follow being I find a new problem with my bike weekly...

But, I've developed a system to remember to turn off my turn signal because I tend to forget for miles and miles also... When I am getting into a turn lane of any sort I turn on the turn signal just long enough to get in the lane then turn off the signal. When turning from a regular lane I turn off my signal in the turn, and when changing lanes I turn on the signal let run for a few seconds then turn off before/as changing lanes.

The other option, go by the mindset some of the old school guys I know use... "Real bikers don't use turn signals..."

·
Registered
796 Posts
What year is your bike? Some of the earlier years had the self canceling blinkers but they did away with them for some reason.

There is another way to remember your blinker is on......its called a flashing indicator light in front of you. lol

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
They are not. You just have to get in the habit of turning them off as you finish a turn as part of the procedure. Work on it and I think you will get good at it. My 1500 has self canceling signals on it and I actually wish it didn't. I find that I signal pretty far ahead of the turn, and often they turn off before I get to my turn, which can be pretty ugly when I'm turning off a pretty busy 2 lane highway onto the county road I live off of, and traffic is coming up behind me and I'm sitting on the highway with no signal! They are timed, and somehow it combines wheel speed I guess, cause if I wait to signal closer to the turn and come to a stop, they will blink until I've made the turn, then turn off in a few seconds. Of course, I usually hit the button to turn them off before they self cancel if I've made the turn before they quit... Can be pretty un-nerving!

Wasn't 89 the last year for self canceling?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sself canceling turn signals

My bike is a 94 750. the switch isn't easy to turn off it keeps going to the other side. I guess I will get used to it.

Thanks for all the comments. That is what I like about this site.

Ride Safely

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I bought the bike I got a CD with a manual on it.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
There were self cancelling signals for the first few years. I think fergy is right about `89 being the last model year for them.

I believe there is an audible clicker available, similar to those on a cage, that sits under the seat.

I seem to recall someone glueing a little prism to the signal indicator on the dash of the vn750. The different angle of the light caught the riders eye more readily, and prevented leaving the signals on.

Just found this link for a signal minder, looks like it will work with most bikes.
https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=4

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
got em on mine kinda nice minus like posted above they turn off early if you signal early

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
when i first got my bike i went riding with a friend and his bike had the self cancelling turn signals and we made a turn and i forgot to turn mine off and rode for like a block with it on and my friend yells "turn off your damn blinkers! you're makin us look like dorks!" yeah, if ya cant tell, he bought a bike to look cool. lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine don't self cancel... Don't let that be the model by which to follow being I find a new problem with my bike weekly...

But, I've developed a system to remember to turn off my turn signal because I tend to forget for miles and miles also... When I am getting into a turn lane of any sort I turn on the turn signal just long enough to get in the lane then turn off the signal. When turning from a regular lane I turn off my signal in the turn, and when changing lanes I turn on the signal let run for a few seconds then turn off before/as changing lanes.

The other option, go by the mindset some of the old school guys I know use... "Real bikers don't use turn signals..."
I do the same thing! :)

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
My bike is a 94 750. the switch isn't easy to turn off it keeps going to the other side. I guess I will get used to it.

Thanks for all the comments. That is what I like about this site.

Ride Safely
If I remember correctly, you don't have to push the switch to the other side to cancel the turn signal. You can push the button in and it will cancel the signal. I think you can even push it again in the same direction you did to start the signal and it will cancel. That's what my 93 did anyway. Give it a shot and let me know, if you don't mind.

Why wouldn't you want to communicate with the crazy cagers as much as possible? I use signals all the time thinking if they know where I'm going or what I'm doing, they might be less prone to killing me. Just curious.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
For all who are as annoyed with their directionals as I was, can do what I did. Went to Radio Shack and purchased 2 piezo beepers for about $3 each and wired them to the front directionals. They sit inside the headlight bucket and beep like a truck backing up when the directionals are on as a reminder. When I am signaling at a light and waiting for it to change they are annoying but they work. With the helmet at speed they are not as noticeable but ultimately they will remind you to turn them off (even just to stop the noise). :p :beerchug:

·
Registered
14 Posts
They did make a self canceling light. I have one on my 87 parts bike but not my 93.....I need to find a way to hook it up on my rider.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts