Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is kinda motorcycle related since it involves a head injury.Most of you that know me, Know I usually don't wear a helmet.I still don't think it should be law mandated .

A good friend of mine was in a logging accident 13 days ago and had a head injury to the top front part of his head.No one knows or is telling exactly what happened.The thing is I went to visit him a couple of times and to see him in the shape he is in although he is starting to recover and the medical team thinks he will have complete recovery was a sharp wake up call to me.

I will now try to remember to wear my helmet all the time,old habits are hard to break,but seeing what his family has been through,and not by any choice he made,makes me not want to put my family through all the pain,sorrow and fear they have had to endure.

My new Helmet is supposed to arrive today.It is still a halfie,but it is not a cheapie,I had another helmet that I wore when I had to or felt like it but it isn't of very good quality.

I am not on a crusade her to change anyone's mind,but I have changed mine.I am going to wear this one and I will probably buy a Modular or another FF a little later on.I just need to wear one a few miles before a sink a couple hundred dollars more into another one I wouldn't wear.

There is a local shop with a pretty good selection that will let me wear one on the bike in real world conditions so I can choose one I will wear, instead of just strapping it on the bike.

I guess sight will cure the blind .Head trauma is a scary thing. Not so much to me but because of the effects it would have on family and friends.I don't want to put anyone through that.

Not that I didn't already know it but like I said in the title.Seeing is believing.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I pulled up next to a guy and his girl on a harley the other day. I was wearing my riding pants, padded jacket, full face helmet, gloves, riding boots and he was wearing a short sleeve shirt and jeans. His girl was pretty sweet looking but wearing jeans and a riding jacket. Both had on a shorty.
There are so many factors to surviving an accident intact. I'd love to know the percentage which goes to wearing proper gear. I'll continue to gear up. Like your experience with your friend, I had one that I graduated with who was sitting on his best friends hood. His best friend taped the accelerator fooling around, this threw my friend off balance and he fell off the car and hit his head. he died three weeks later from head trauma. You're right denny, these things affect a lot of people.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,718 Posts
you're denny6006, sometimes that is what it takes for some people to realize things. when things happen that really "hit home" or are right in your face, people really "see" things for what they are.

you know me denny6006, and you know that I always wear my helmet. I've got my old helmet to prove why I do always wear one! lol

but like you too. I do not believe it should be a law. it should be a riders choice. but if all the riders thought like you (now) and I. there would be no reason to have helmet laws, because everyone would chose to wear one.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
There is a site that lists the percentages of what the likely odds are for impacting various parts of your body in an accident. But as I've said before, you can't choose your accident, so those odds are kinda pointless.

My wife before she worked for the school district worked at various retirement/extended care facilities. She said it seemed every one of them had alot of old folks, but there was always one or two young (20-30 years old) men that were there also. Every time she asked about them it was always " The poor guy was in a motorcycle accident and suffered severe brain damage....he wasn't wearing a helmet we were told...."

She said the even sadder part was seeing the guys family when they came to visit.

I'm all for folks making their own decisions on what level of safety gear they wear....but I think many don't weigh in the impact their decision may have on their loved ones.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
" The poor guy was in a motorcycle accident and suffered severe brain damage....he wasn't wearing a helmet we were told...."
Been there, survived that one. 4 teenage boys in a pasture on the edge of a mountain. Hot August day. Just took off their helmets to cool down in a shade. Helmets come off. Brother kicks my bike about knocking me over. We fire them up and 65 mph later in waste deep Johnson grass the solid land ran out. 158 feet latter the bike landed on top of me. 100+ stitches in the head, dozen ribs and few other select other broken bones I got to walk for the first time in 3 months. I cried went my brother drug my bike out of the barn for me to see when I got home from the hospital. Not a single part was left salvagible.

I got a bad infection from the salad bowl size plate they put in my head. It had to be removed. Never had it put back in and still have a 7 inch by 1/8 inch wide crack in the skull leaving out of my right eye socket going over the top of my head. Does that make me a crack head?

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Hey Mike....what was the point of adding this ? :

I pulled up next to a guy and his girl on a harley the other day. I was wearing my riding pants, padded jacket, full face helmet, gloves, riding boots and he was wearing a short sleeve shirt and jeans. His girl was pretty sweet looking but wearing jeans and a riding jacket. Both had on a shorty.
You began a "story", never finished....

Im old school....pro-choice....same as Denny....90% of the time, I wear a half....decent one....when Im in a no helmet state on backroads, off it comes...but when Im in traffic, or ride to where I KNOW there will be traffic, I wear my 3/4.....
I dont get the points of a few of the replies...dead horse torture again ?...
I was a logger as well....in the Adirondacks and in the Catskills....those helmets caused more neck injuries than good....(crushed discs....I have 3 to prove it)....had Dennys friend been wearing a helmet, would it have helped ? Disputable....a logger knows enough to watch for widowmakers above, often hidden by a helmet, btw....

Lets not make this a pro-con post....its more of a "what if", and "mebbe I rethunk things"....

Lets just say, "there are times that varying degrees of protection are recommended and needed"....fair ?

If you were in your driveway, drilling a piece of plywood with a hand drill, would you wear leather gloves, safety glasses and a hardhat ?....if you were doing the same, on the 40th floor of a skyscraper, would you ?...all Im tryin to say....dont make this another "pro full shell and armor" thread.....Denny made a good point about "rethinking" things...its a very good practice, IMO...THAT should be the main gist of the post.....not pros or cons...

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
This is kinda motorcycle related since it involves a head injury.Most of you that know me, Know I usually don't wear a helmet.I still don't think it should be law mandated .

A good friend of mine was in a logging accident 13 days ago and had a head injury to the top front part of his head.No one knows or is telling exactly what happened.The thing is I went to visit him a couple of times and to see him in the shape he is in although he is starting to recover and the medical team thinks he will have complete recovery was a sharp wake up call to me.

I will now try to remember to wear my helmet all the time,old habits are hard to break,but seeing what his family has been through,and not by any choice he made,makes me not want to put my family through all the pain,sorrow and fear they have had to endure.

My new Helmet is supposed to arrive today.It is still a halfie,but it is not a cheapie,I had another helmet that I wore when I had to or felt like it but it isn't of very good quality.

I am not on a crusade her to change anyone's mind,but I have changed mine.I am going to wear this one and I will probably buy a Modular or another FF a little later on.I just need to wear one a few miles before a sink a couple hundred dollars more into another one I wouldn't wear.

There is a local shop with a pretty good selection that will let me wear one on the bike in real world conditions so I can choose one I will wear, instead of just strapping it on the bike.

I guess sight will cure the blind .Head trauma is a scary thing. Not so much to me but because of the effects it would have on family and friends.I don't want to put anyone through that.

Not that I didn't already know it but like I said in the title.Seeing is believing.

sorry to hear about your friend. IF you decide to wear helmets I suggest the HJC CL MAX series, they are modular, I leave mine flipped up for air then when I want to be more 'exciting' i flip it down and open the bike up. I like how the HJC feels. Nolan is a great helmet but it costs half as much as some motorcycles haha.

Good luck, sorry to hear about your pal. Here is to a speedy successful recovery!

Kenny

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Wolf my point exactly,take everything into consideration when you make your choices

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Thanks Den...posts like these seem to "draw the salesmen"...and that wasnt your point....the point was basically, if I may..."think more deeply into something before you do", take in all possibilities and considerations..."then decide"....thats what its all about....not whats better/worse...that can be debated forever....its up to the rider, but the rider shouldnt make snap decisions....think it, before you do it....

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Sounded a bit like you were "selling" the "con" here to me Wolf. ;)

Didn't read any "you are stupid if you don't wear a helmet" posts yet....

The point of making a choice considering ALL aspects looked to be the general slant of posts here....that and brain damage can suck.. LOL

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Sounded a bit like you were "selling" the "con" here to me Wolf
Absolutely right....I started, then caught myself...but instead of editing left it....but since you continued...
As for brain damage/death, helmets can cause that too if you'd like to know...I was a witness to a bike accident....single rider on a cafe bike, full shell....top of the helmet kit the I-beam of the guiderail....a "good samaritan" decided to remove the riders helmet even though I protested....part of his brain came off/out with the helmet.....he went into convulsions, was nothing I could do. Died before me. I took off after the samaritan (he ran), tackled the MF, pulled his wallet and took his Drivers License until the cops and paramedics arrived...gave it to them and said..."this is the guy who killed him"....nuff said ?

And as I stated in my post above, and as Denny stated...."it is what it is"....

...besides, if you live to die, youre probably going to, regardless of what you spend.

... ;) ...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I knew a young man who was married and had 2 or 3 kids. Morgan had just graduated from university a year or two earlier and was now working in his chosen profession as a school teacher. One weekend he was out at his fathers farm, cross country skiing with his brother and a couple of friends. He fell down on level ground and slid on his belly about four feet, head first into a big rock. He was not moving very fast when he contacted the rock but the collision broke his neck, and he died four hours later.

I know this story is not motorcycle related, but just a cautionary tale about how easy it is to suffer a fatal accident even at low speeds. I even heard of one incident where a MC rider slipped while stopped at traffic lights, then fell over to the side and banged his helmeted head hard against the pavement. He suffered a minor concussion, which could have been a lot worse had he not been wearing the helmet.

I believe all Canadian provinces require all riders to wear helmets, so the only choice I have is what style and color of helmet to wear. I know a full face helmet in glossy white or some other HI VIZ color offers the the best protection in a crash, as well as the best chance of being noticed by other drivers on the road. However at this time I still wear a half shell lid that is flat black in color by my choice.

The next helmet I buy will be a ff or a modular as a lot of hardcore riders I know locally, and many more here will not wear anything else. I may still wear the half shell on occasion though. My head, my choice.

Thanks for starting the thread Denny. Whatever you all choose to wear, re-think your reasons for doing so once in a while.

Peace brothers, and keep the shiny side up! :smiley_th

·
Registered
738 Posts
Just returned from a trip to Tucson, AZ visiting family. No helmet law in AZ apparently, since only 1 out of 5 motorcycle riders were wearing helmets (or gloves for that matter). I also noticed that Tucson cage drivers are also very aggressive. Seems like there is an accident waiting to happen any moment there. Here are the odds of head injury to the motorcycle rider when it does happen. Notice how, without a full face helmet, there is a 34% chance of 'taking in the chin'!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
My head, my choice.
No other words need to be said....:smiley_th:beerchug:

A guy in Warwick sidepunched a car and went flying....he was wearing a full shell....in the air, he flipped, going legs first, face down...the chin guard caught a pothole, and the back of the helmet snapped his neck....least he went fast....

....if yer slated to go, yer gonna go....and I dont feel ANY degree of protection is gonna change that....when yer times up, and the powers that be say "thats it", there aint no stoppin it....before each ride, especially with a group, I say a silent prayer....

...as stated before, numerous times...its not about "the protection"....its about thinking about the "what ifs", and consequenses...

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got my new Scorpion EXO 100 via UPS,then it turned cold and snowed.Did I expect more? Nah,it is Eastern KY and the weather changes everyday in March.
On the good side of things it fits well and offers more protection than any Half helmet I have worn to date and it is supposed to be in the High 50's to 60 degrees today.I will give it a test ride,in a bit, after it gets out of the 30's. Call me a wuss if you want,I'm to0 old to torture myself at much lower than 40 degrees.I'll report back later.See ya'll later.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know I am replying to my own posts but I said I would report back.I am glad to say this was a good purchase and would recommend the the EXO 100 to any one wanting a half helmet.Its quiet and the wind doesn't buffet it around.Plus it just plain feels good. :smiley_th

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
A good friend who has been an emergency room nurse calls motor bikes "doner bikes" because so many riders without helmets come in brain dead good only for becoming organ doners. Plus, for some reason the thought of knocking out more teeth (I used to play a lot of soft pad only football) makes me strongly prefer flip up helmets. An additional benefit is the fact that while bugs may be crunchy to chew on they generally don't taste very good.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
A good friend who has been an emergency room nurse calls motor bikes "doner bikes" because so many riders without helmets come in brain dead good only for becoming organ doners. Plus, for some reason the thought of knocking out more teeth (I used to play a lot of soft pad only football) makes me strongly prefer flip up helmets. An additional benefit is the fact that while bugs may be crunchy to chew on they generally don't taste very good.
Good post

LMAO !

:smiley_th

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have one of the flip up helmets. Really like it.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
This is turning into a thread that I didn' t start , I have heard all the arguments about works best . What some of you fail to realize this is start in a different direction for me and I was sharing some of my thoughts and giving a review of what I bought,nothing more nothing less . I am not on some crusade to change others to what I feel comfortable with.
I bought a FF a few years ago and it hasn't been worn enough to be worth buying. I don't care what you buy if you don't wear it. It is worthless

I may buy a modular a little later on but it need to be one I will wear.I now know, I will wear this one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts