Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Security Cable?

3K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  kc2dgq 
#1 ·
Wasn't exactly sure where this belongs....so move it of needed.

Walking thru wally-world the other day, I stumbled across a locking cable for ATV's and motorcycles. This isn't something I really thought about before. At home the bike will be in the garage....but at work, she's out in an unguarded parking lot. The area isn't the safest spot in the city, and I work the midnight shift. But in 13 years only 2 cars broken into that I know of. Are these cables worth the money, $17? Any opinions, advice, or other suggestions?

#2 ·
#3 ·
If someone wants to steal your bike, a cable lock won't stop them.

Most bikes that do get stolen are taken by professional thieves. They drive around looking for specfic bikes. A Vulcan 750 usually never makes their list. You are thus better off having a locking cover for the bike, as they won't be able to see what kind of bike it is and will pass it up.

If you do use a cable lock, lock it to something solid, and make sure no part of the cable of lock is closer than 2 feet to the ground...(because they use the ground to steady one handle of a bolt cutter with and put their body weight against the other handle to cut through the cable or lock)

I don't use locks, because that's what insurance is for....;)

#4 · (Edited)
My opinion is if someone wants to steal a bike bad enough any cable lock or disc brake lock isn't going to stop them. They will just get their friends to pick it up and put it in the truck and drive off. That said...I don't think a vn750 is at the top of the most wanted bikes list. :)

I lock my forks to the side. If they want it that bad, I have enough insurance to cover it. And also my saddlebags are easily accessible, I leave my helmet on the bike most of the time and my $200 jacket is bungie coarded to the backrest. I've never had anyone mess with any of it. But I don't frequent "bad" parts of town either.

EDIT: Apparently KM and I are on similar wavelenghts.

#8 ·
Thanks for the info. No wasted money on a cable lock. I love this forum. Straight info quickly received.

I'll have to search the swap-n-shop for a beat up gun holster.
A new mission!!
That is what I have.....need to put back on bike tho.....

:smiley_th x2

#9 ·
I sold mine with my bike 25 yrs ago...I gotta find another now since my bike now looks worth stealing, lol. Got one from the Dawg, but it dont look used enough, lol...the older and more ratty the holster looks, the better....sew an 81 supporter patch on it, and yer set fer life...

#18 ·
Very true...
By chance, anybody have an old Stock they are willing to part with ?

:smiley_th +1

#19 ·
Well, in my opinion you are only goin to stop a kid or wannabe thief, pros are probably gonna get your bike... But in my thinkin I don't want to have the long walk home after some jerk head kid or wannabe thief takes my bike, and yes I carry Ins. also, but here is a keyed bicycle cable that I got at china-mart and like, after a couple of screwed up combo lock ones...

To each his own but I like this one very much, and it was cheap, works great for me...
Sorry about those diving fast flyin bugs, I'll wash'em off one of these days, maybe...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

#21 · (Edited)
I put an alarm on my bike when I bought it new in 95. What a nightmare, It was installed at the dealer and never worked right from day one. Eventually the dealer refunded the half the labor and took the alarm off. It was an effort getting the dealer tech and the alarm co. tech try and work out the issues.

The truth in life for me, at least how I see it, locks and the like are for Honest People. Thieves will find a way to beat the system every time. Like someone pointed out, If they want your bike they will steal it. I have a locking cover which I never lock. Someone who knows how to steal a 600 lb motorcycle will know how to steal it. Still, I think the locking cover would be the best you could hope for. I like the holster though. I don't think you could get away with that in NJ.

#22 · (Edited)
I don't think an empty holster will do much good either, other than perhaps keeping kids from sitting on it or something.

And you do know if you look like your going to pull out that fake rifle on some idiot driver, you can still be charged with threatening them with a deadly weapon.

It don't matter if its fake if the other person thinks its real. Rob a store with a toy gun and you'll still be charged with "armed robbery"...

If you're that paranoid about your bike getting stolen buy an alarm....and that cover. (But get an alarm that just pages you and doesn't wake up the neighborhood)

#23 ·
I don't think an empty holster will do much good either, other than perhaps keeping kids from sitting on it or something.

And you do know if you look like your going to pull out that fake rifle on some idiot driver, you can still be charged with threatening them with a deadly weapon.

It don't matter if its fake if the other person thinks its real. Rob a store with a toy gun and you'll still be charged with "armed robbery"...

If you're that paranoid about your bike getting stolen buy an alarm....and that cover. (But get an alarm that just pages you and doesn't wake up the neighborhood)
That is if he don't draw and fire with the real thing...lol... I know if I thought someone was pulling a rifle out on me, I would not hesitate... Draw you tin horn...lol...
Really & truly, I think it could get you shot, and the shooter could claim self defense....

#25 ·
Its not how hard your bike is to take, its how much easier the bike next to you is. So a good lock works well. Not because its impossible to break but because its easier to take the other bike.

Its like if you're running from a lion. Its not how fast you can run, its how easily you can trip the person next to you.
-Robert

#27 ·
I did have the zip off bags which I took into the motel or whatever, worked great but now I have the Viking shock cutouts that bolt solid, so I just remove what little stuff of value and take it in ...lol...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.