Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't exactly sure where this belongs....so move it of needed.

Walking thru wally-world the other day, I stumbled across a locking cable for ATV's and motorcycles. This isn't something I really thought about before. At home the bike will be in the garage....but at work, she's out in an unguarded parking lot. The area isn't the safest spot in the city, and I work the midnight shift. But in 13 years only 2 cars broken into that I know of. Are these cables worth the money, $17? Any opinions, advice, or other suggestions?

·
Registered
8,208 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,944 Posts
If someone wants to steal your bike, a cable lock won't stop them.

Most bikes that do get stolen are taken by professional thieves. They drive around looking for specfic bikes. A Vulcan 750 usually never makes their list. You are thus better off having a locking cover for the bike, as they won't be able to see what kind of bike it is and will pass it up.

If you do use a cable lock, lock it to something solid, and make sure no part of the cable of lock is closer than 2 feet to the ground...(because they use the ground to steady one handle of a bolt cutter with and put their body weight against the other handle to cut through the cable or lock)

I don't use locks, because that's what insurance is for....;)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
My opinion is if someone wants to steal a bike bad enough any cable lock or disc brake lock isn't going to stop them. They will just get their friends to pick it up and put it in the truck and drive off. That said...I don't think a vn750 is at the top of the most wanted bikes list. :)

I lock my forks to the side. If they want it that bad, I have enough insurance to cover it. And also my saddlebags are easily accessible, I leave my helmet on the bike most of the time and my $200 jacket is bungie coarded to the backrest. I've never had anyone mess with any of it. But I don't frequent "bad" parts of town either.

EDIT: Apparently KM and I are on similar wavelenghts.

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
The cable is probably easier to cut than the rotor lock.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Hang an old, beat up leather pistol holster from your sissy...they think twice then...worked for me since the 70s....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. No wasted money on a cable lock. I love this forum. Straight info quickly received.

I'll have to search the swap-n-shop for a beat up gun holster. A new mission!!

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Thanks for the info. No wasted money on a cable lock. I love this forum. Straight info quickly received.

I'll have to search the swap-n-shop for a beat up gun holster.
A new mission!!
That is what I have.....need to put back on bike tho.....

:smiley_th x2

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I sold mine with my bike 25 yrs ago...I gotta find another now since my bike now looks worth stealing, lol. Got one from the Dawg, but it dont look used enough, lol...the older and more ratty the holster looks, the better....sew an 81 supporter patch on it, and yer set fer life...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,209 Posts
If someone wants to steal your bike, a cable lock won't stop them.

Most bikes that do get stolen are taken by professional thieves. They drive around looking for specfic bikes. A Vulcan 750 usually never makes their list. You are thus better off having a locking cover for the bike, as they won't be able to see what kind of bike it is and will pass it up.

If you do use a cable lock, lock it to something solid, and make sure no part of the cable of lock is closer than 2 feet to the ground...(because they use the ground to steady one handle of a bolt cutter with and put their body weight against the other handle to cut through the cable or lock)

I don't use locks, because that's what insurance is for....;)
hmmm...seems like someone knows a little too much;)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,209 Posts
I sold mine with my bike 25 yrs ago...I gotta find another now since my bike now looks worth stealing, lol. Got one from the Dawg, but it dont look used enough, lol...the older and more ratty the holster looks, the better....sew an 81 supporter patch on it, and yer set fer life...
that'll work too

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Just the steering lock for me as well. if they want it that badly, I wont fight em for it. its just a machine after all (some of us get attached to them machines tho!)

yea, professional thief will pull up with a truck or a tow truck and just lift it away..

·
4,508 Posts

I'll have to search the swap-n-shop for a beat up gun holster. A new mission!!
That is what I have.....need to put back on bike tho.....

I wonder if I could get away with Leather a Rifle Holster on my bike....
....think the law would pull me over ? ?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,209 Posts
I wonder if I could get away with Leather a Rifle Holster on my bike....
....think the law would pull me over ? ?

as long as it is secure,unloaded, and the ammo is away from the bike,there shouldn't be a problem with a rifle.you can carry one in a car with ammo in trunk or glove box.they would still probally pull you over,though;).

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Dont even need the whole real rifle...just a stock with a piece of conduit on it to slip in...remember, its just for effect....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,209 Posts
Dont even need the whole real rifle...just a stock with a piece of conduit on it to slip in...remember, its just for effect....
yeah because it would be TOO tempting to use it on cell phone drivers;)

·
4,508 Posts

Very true...
By chance, anybody have an old Stock they are willing to part with ?

:smiley_th +1

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Well, in my opinion you are only goin to stop a kid or wannabe thief, pros are probably gonna get your bike... But in my thinkin I don't want to have the long walk home after some jerk head kid or wannabe thief takes my bike, and yes I carry Ins. also, but here is a keyed bicycle cable that I got at china-mart and like, after a couple of screwed up combo lock ones...

To each his own but I like this one very much, and it was cheap, works great for me...
Sorry about those diving fast flyin bugs, I'll wash'em off one of these days, maybe...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
X2 or 3 or whatever. If people want to steal your bike it'll be a group of dudes and they'll just dead lift it into a pick up. Yeah, you don't need a lock. These bikes are a pain in the hoo-has to move with the trees locked. That should suffice.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts