Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there's a difference in the height of the rear of the seat between model years? My bike is an 1990 A5 UK spec with the chrome sissybar with backrest, I have a cast alloy fantail, must be off an earlier model, any pictures I've looked at the rail runs around the edge of the seat but my seat at the back looks about an inch or so short? Also are all toolboxes the same?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
all stock seats should be same height and all toolboxes should be same as well

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I can get some fotos, and find out how to post from iPad or phone it may explain what I mean better, cheers guys.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not managed to post photos to this page ( unsure how to) but I have managed to put them on my album named toolbox, seen these on fleabay, there are clearly 2 different toolboxes, mine being the shorter one (no top mounting hole) so, I'm thinking there must be two different seats aswell!

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
I have not managed to post photos to this page ( unsure how to) but I have managed to put them on my album named toolbox, seen these on fleabay, there are clearly 2 different toolboxes, mine being the shorter one (no top mounting hole) so, I'm thinking there must be two different seats aswell!
Not that I know of. You have the extended backrest, and the luggage rack. Tool
Boxes as far as I am aware are all the same. The only diffence is the strap on the seat, which is not a required item in the states. But is in the UK.
Can not find an album named "toolbox"...

Perhaps you need to put your photos on a separate site, like Photobucket, and post links to it (or the ones you say are here)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
copy to clipboard then paste

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Tinkerer
572 Posts
That smaller toolbox looks like one from the EN or LTD not the Vulcan/VN

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
As stated, the VN700/VN750 seat remained unchanged from 1985 to 2006, as did the toolbox in the back.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
His image wasnt working, here it is:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Didn't think that would work, used fotobucket, clicked share, copy link to clipboard, and selected IMG copy n pasted to quick reply ????

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
That is not a correct toolbox, must be from the 800 or another model.

It's a bit short and the mounting is different on the top.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Sorry for the small image, but should look like this (without the lid)

Reactions: NIBiker

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is not a correct toolbox, must be from the 800 or another model.

It's a bit short and the mounting is different on the top.
That is what I took off, the other box is identical except slightly taller and has a mounting hole for the big in the sissybar, I don't think the 800 has a toolbox, I'll check, unless it's a European thing, it's a pity I can't sort the photo thing out, would make things a bit easier!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Looked up Kawasakioriginalparts.com it's a 89 model A5, when you select united kingdom it shows the small toolbox no third upper mounting bolt, but if you select all countries it shows the taller toolbox with the third mounting bolt, but both use the same part numbers! Spooks like the UK model had the small one, don't know why cause there's a gap at the top and you can see the seat back as my Lid is missing, and if I fit their spec billet alloy grab bar my seat back is an inch shy from the top of it, that's what also makes me think the seats are different too! Cheers��

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheers thtanner, mine is def the short one, and with missing door, if I do decide to change it, I need a door either way, it will unfortunately probably be cheaper to buy new from kawasaakioriginalparts.com in the uk than buy used (even with out a door from the US due to postage) I quite like the look of the short grab rail (cast alloy one) that the back of the seat follows the contour off rather than the high sissy bar, but like I've said I think there is a difference in height of the seat back as well as the toolbox. I'm sure I'll get somthing sorted, my even get a box lid made out of aluminium in work. One thing, I can't understand why they'd want to change the size of the toolbox just for UK spec, it still doesn't look right even with the taller chrome sissy bar with back pad, as the top mount for the larger toolbox is on the sissy bar too and can be seen between the top of the seat and the pad on the sissybar, the mind boggles, God knows what's happened in the past 26yrs of ownership! Lol! I'm sure it'll all become clear!!!

·
Tinkerer
572 Posts
If you want to try the full size tool box let me know, seeing as I'm only up the road from you, you can try mine.

I have a spare stock sissy bar and tool box, although the lid is crudely attached with cable ties

1 - 20 of 23 Posts