Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a big fan of the sissy bar / storage box on the stock VN seat. I'd like to see if I can find an old VN 800 seat and switch it out. I looked through the forums and didn't see anything...but I could have missed it.

Anyway...has anybody ever done this? If so, any tips? Or is it going to be a big pain for little gain.

If not a VN 800, any other suggestions for a sissy bar-less seat?

Now that I solved my wierd intermittant electrical problem I'm on to aesthetic matters.

Thanks!!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Alot of people have modified the stock seat by removing the sissybar/toolbox, cutting off the passenger backrest, and recovering the seat. Some have also cut off the entire passenger seat, making it into a solo style seat.
I got a stock seat off ebay for $25 and have seen more than a couple that didn't even get a bid that started at about the same price, or maybe a little higher.
Perfect opportunity to make a custom seat that way. And ya know the seat pan will fit then. Just gotta figure out how to secure it to the frame.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good call. I just spotted a cheap seat on ebay too. Thanks...and any further suggestions are greatly appreciated.

D

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
i was looking at taking mine, chopping of the back rest, and extending it an inch or so and changing out the rear fender... still waiting on the fender though... anyone every hear back from that zed guy that was on here about 2 weeks ago..

·
Registered
699 Posts
I did...He sent me out my Clymers manual (for free) didn't even charge me the $2.09 for shipping....I got it fast too....Have you emailed him?

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the sissy bar / storage box on the stock VN seat. I'd like to see if I can find an old VN 800 seat and switch it out. I looked through the forums and didn't see anything...but I could have missed it.yway...has anybody ever done this? If so, any tips? Or is it going to be a big pain for little gain.
If not a VN 800, any other suggestions for a sissy bar-less seat?
Thanks!!
I have seen photos of the 800 "tail section" being used on the 750. Not sure if they used the 800 seat too, or just modified the stock one. I have a long term project going where I have altered and recovered the stock seat for a solo rider. (see the "Babe" folder in my yahoo site below)
I have a design for a totaly new tail section which I plan to make, but have not got there yet.
I went a the other way with my Vulcan and actualy made the sissy bar taller. The only problem is the seat bolts on the bike through the stock passengers little 'flip". If you can find another way to bolt the seat dowm securely, there is no reason why you can't chop off all that crap in back.

KM

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
what about some high strength neyobendium (sp) rubber coated magnets..... could be a pain to get off , but it would be toolless.... those lil suckers are strong

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
neyo what the F?

I gotta do some research on that one...but coincidentally, was thinking about magnets too.

That would really be good. My wife is a pretty good amateur upholsterer, so the big issue is how to stick the seat on. I like the idea. Just gotta figure out what the magnet thing is.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
neyo what the F?

I gotta do some research on that one...but coincidentally, was thinking about magnets too.

That would really be good. My wife is a pretty good amateur upholsterer, so the big issue is how to stick the seat on. I like the idea. Just gotta figure out what the magnet thing is.
neodymium that is how you spell it. they are super strong rare earth magnets. there are several grades. some of the higher grades, even a small one about the size of a grape and break finger bones if your not carefull.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
yep same magnets.... i figure some good epoxy and coating them with rubber should hold the seat on good.

·
Registered
126 Posts
did you ever find out if you could do the vn800 switch? Im looking to maybe do the same

1 - 12 of 12 Posts