Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here done a seat “shave”? Make it more like a bobber seat with no back? Looking to do that for mine but not sure how to bolt the seat in place. I have a ‘92 vn750. It comes stock with a basic, formed sissy seat.

·
Registered
90 Posts

I did it. Can you see my avatar pic? If I could post pics. Let me give it a try.

I could have always made it into a single seat, but with the saddlebag I felt I should just cut the toolbox out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It’s good to use the existing seat pan if you can since it lines up so we’ll on our tank and side covers.

Unlike Goofyfoot, I like bobbers a lot ;) I cut my seat pan down substantially, riveted on some more plastic to build up the back (I used the top two inches of a sturdy bucket and shaved it down to fit). If you cut it down to a solo seat, you’ll need to figure out how to mount it. I welded some of the threaded mounting points from the original rear fender (which got cut off during the bobber process) to the frame under the seat.

You can kind of see them in this pic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just not sure how the seat is getting bolted down (even with L brackets)... Are you running the bolts through the padding, or into the seat pan somehow?
Would a grinder be a good way to cut the back off and the back of the seat off?
Fabrication is not my strong area by any means.
Rob112o - That's pretty much exactly what I'm picturing in my head, though LandyLou's results would be the ideal final look (though going FULL bobber isn't something I can afford to take on).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used a 1600 Mean Streak seat, and the swap was pretty simple. The hard part is you will need to drill into the frame on either side and on the rear fender.

I have a zip file of the images and the html file that references those images. I can email it to you or let me know dropoff spot and I'll send it there.

JT

·
Registered
141 Posts
I did a poor version of this. I simply cut off the rear back rest, removed the foam from the passenger area, then shaved about 1" off of the front seat. Where I failed at was having a thin layer of good foam to put on top of my hack job before putting down the vinyl so you get the wrinkles I have in mine. I kept the passenger portion of the seat pan intact and drilled a couple holes where those two bolt holes are in the tail section. I found a couple spacers and some bolts that fit in them. My saddle bags cover it up for now, I have thoughts of building or finding some type of rack to go over it but haven't found one yet.

** Yes I know my bike is filthy, I live on a gravel road and just don't clean it like I should... **
‘99 VN750 lowered susp & lowered seat

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,079 Posts
Here's two shots of Melissa Fayhe

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd like to know what that windshield fairing piece came from.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,079 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts