Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mississippi Rider
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of looking at that factory seat and I printed a couple photos off here of some mods other people had done and took them to a local custom shop and see what they would charge. They wanted a 140 bucks. So last night I just decdied to try it myself. I have no experience but I think it turned out ok looking. :hitanykey

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do you have more info on how you did it? Where did you get the material and I am assuming it cost less than the $140 to have someone else do it.

-Eric

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
That is a smooth clean line you have going there. Good work. Hope it is comfortable. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
VERY nice!! And fror a 1st timer you'd never know it! As others have suggested HOW you did it would be very helpful.

·
Mississippi Rider
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not that much to do really. I didnt take any additional pics but there are plenty of guys on here who have...thats where i got the idea. When you take the vinyl off and see how the seat is foamed you will see how easy it is. Really all you have to do is remove a piece of foam padding then shave the left side down to match the right. The right side will already have the scooped out shape. I cut it with a box cutter razor knife which left the foam in rough shape. I tried to shave it neater and sand it but wasnt very successful so I just took it down a little more and put a piece of half inch foam over the whole seat, but you could use quilt batting or any kind of padding. This would be when you would add a gel pad if you wanted. Then I got a half yard of outdoor black vinyl and covered it. Whole project went in for under 20 bucks but I still havent decided how I am going to mount the seat.

Attachments

·
Mississippi Rider
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to explain the pic I have the handlebars off. I am doing a custom set with a straight pipe and a set of risers I built. Will look like no other. I removed the goat belly and factory pipes and just went with straight open pipes which is legal in my state. I removed the stock brake light and used the tag braket to modify and mount a round light. removed the center stand. mounted a safety box on the right fro storage which you can see in the first pic and mounted the license plate to it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great job! I'm hoping to do something very similar, hopefully I'll get my hands on a replacement seat first though just in case I ruin something. How did you hack off the mini sissy bar?

And do you mind posting links to where you got your inspiration?

·
Mississippi Rider
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i hacked it off with a hack saw. just go to the picture gallery and search "seat" and there will be all the inspiration you need brother.

·
Mississippi Rider
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
do what? modify the seat? First the seat makes the bike look much more dated than it is, and the 750 is a great solo rider but if your a big guy like me then adding a second person really gets tight and slows you down so having a seat with a sissy bar doesnt make sense. If you drop the seat then it gives you a lower profile. This is a cheap way to achieve a difference.

BUT THE REAL REASON IS THAT SOME OF US JUST WANT TO ALWAYS BE WORKING ON OUR BIKES AND LEAVE PERSONAL TOUCHES THAT MAKE IT DIFFERENT FROM ANYONE ELSES. THERE IS NO OTHER BIKE THAT LOOKS LIKE MINE AND I LIKE THAT.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Matt,

Ceal wants to know why you removed your center stand.

·
Mississippi Rider
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh.. thanks Deuce.

Well kinda for the same reason I gave though. Most new bikes dont even have centerstands and if you degoat the 750 then there is this gap that looks out of place. What I mean is that if the bike was designed without the "goat" then the center stand what probably been designed different as well. So once you remove it then it just seemed out of place to me. Plus the bike is so light that picking it up and putting on the stand in the garage is a piece of cake.

but again mostly to just change the bike from its original look.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
hmm... the center stand is definitely not something that comes to mind when thinking about changing the bike's looks. Maybe if I saw it on a de-goated bike it would make sense. I don't even notice the center stand on mine until I use it.

In any case, you did answer my question though... thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts