Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can't afford a new seat right now, does anyone have any knowledge about the seat pads of different type and design? Many of these are from $40.00 to $90.00. I am curious if anyone has tried one of these? Plano Bob

·
Registered
277 Posts
for seat comfort i got a used corbin seat (very firm) helped somewhat. but what really did the trick was getting floorbords from knifemaker at the yahoo group and getting an aftermarket backrest for the corbin off of ebay. with those items i was able to get alot of back support which took the pressure off of by a$$ because of better riding posture. now i can do 300 miles in relative comfort. but back to the cushion, before i got all that crap i went to walmart and got foamgel waffle design seat cushion for about $19 and cut it to shape for the vn 750 seat it worked real well till i got the corbin. someone else in this forum also uses that cushion. hope it helps. J

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seat comfort

Thanks for the tip...might give that a try...after about 35 to 40 miles my butt starts to get a little uncomfortable. I'm about 5'9" and 195 . I usuall ride west of Collin Country and for around 150 to 200 miles at a time....Plano Bob

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
some have used hi quality foam and just replace the foam insides of the seat.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Funny, I rode a bike with a Corbin and found it uncomfortable.

I prefer my stock seat over the Corbin, but everyone is built differnetly.

I am 6 foot 225lb. and find the Corbin seat bottom, too flat and hard.

Jon

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
On this site most people seem to suggest replacing the stock seat with a Mustang or a Corbin.

I've read many positive reviews about Airhawk Cushions (I have not tried the product myself). Here is the home website for the Airhawk ~ http://www.shapefitting.com/category.aspx?categoryID=54.

It's expensive, but not as expensive as replacing the entire seat. The "medium cruiser" fits the VN 750. Other motorcycle retailers sell the product. Here's a place where you can get it for $135 ~ http://www.cyclestuffusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=13634.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I got a corbin and made a backrest, Best thing I could have ever done. Yes the Corbin is firm but it fits me. A Airhawk is highley recomended by many people. I have not used one if I am doing a long ride will look into one. I can do 400 miles a day on the Corbin with no problem.
I found a Mustang is to soft for me, felt like it squished down to much.
A backrest is great to add also.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the Airhawk and it definitely makes the ride a lot more comfortable. It also helps solve another problem if you have National Cycle Plexistar or Plexifairing. The Airhawk lifts me up on the seat about an inch, which allows a bit better visibility over the top of the fairing.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
I Want to Take You Higher

I have the Airhawk and it definitely makes the ride a lot more comfortable. It also helps solve another problem if you have National Cycle Plexistar or Plexifairing. The Airhawk lifts me up on the seat about an inch, which allows a bit better visibility over the top of the fairing.
Maybe this is why I should buy the Airhawk. I need to be raised up about an inch so that I can have better visibility over my Plexifairing 3 windshield ~ and at this stage of life I don't expect another growth spurt!

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
I have a Corbin and it took about 2,000 miles to break it in but after that period I wouldn't have any other seat ..............extremely comfortable now.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
I made my own seat pad, buying some imitation leather material, some fake sheepskin, a chunk of foam , and some black nylon shoe laces at a fabric store. Think the whole sheebang cost me 20 bucks. I made a pattern using a piece of heavy paper then cut out the vinyl and 'sheep skin' a bit over size, and the foam to the pattern The nylon laces were sewn into the seam to attach the pad to the seat (front ones around the frame behind the tank, rear ones around the shocks)
Photos here:
http://tinyurl.com/uxyxp
....Click "next" to see photo of the other side...

You can also do this using a gel pad, You can buy just these pads from JC Whitney.
I had a Corbin on my Vulcan and found it alot more comfortable than stock, but on long trips I still used the pad just to change my seating position.

KM

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a Corbin and it took about 2,000 miles to break it in but after that period I wouldn't have any other seat ..............extremely comfortable now.
I agree, once I broke in the Corbin I could never go back to the stock seat. I have never had my butt go numb like I did with the stock seat. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I found that adding a duffle bag tied down on my passenger seat used as a back rest made a huge difference with my back and butt comfort. Biggest thing was the floorboards though. I think having more than one place to position your feet makes your seat comfort raise considerably.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I found that adding a duffle bag tied down on my passenger seat used as a back rest made a huge difference with my back and butt comfort. Biggest thing was the floorboards though. I think having more than one place to position your feet makes your seat comfort raise considerably.
Couldn't agree more. Rode Artybolt's with floorboards and it is great.
Got to find room inthe budget for them.......

Jon

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
GOT RID OF THE WHOLE STD. SEAT BASHED A NEW ONE OUT OF A BIT OF 2.5mm SHEET BY HAND (QUITE EASY REALY). FITS MY BUT LIKE A GLOVE AND BECAUSE THERE IS NO PADDING IT DOESN'T CUT THE BLOOD FLOW OFF TO MY BUT AFTER 80 MILES. JUST LIKE A WELL WORN CAST IRON TRACTOR SEAT.(THERE ARE PICS OF IT IN THE GALLERY).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts