Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever hear of SAD? It's basically when you're buried under 5 feet of snow, it never gets above 25 degrees, the sky is perpetually overcast and grey, and it lasts 5 fricken months. It's physiological explanation is the lack of vitamin D that you would normally get naturally from sunlight.

I definitely have it pretty bad this year. I don't feel like doing a damn thing. Just wondering if anyone up here in the Northeast has any good remedies. If so, lay um on me!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Take 2 Vitamin D gummies daily. Each one is 1,000 mg. Also, Look into those lights that people in Alaska use. You need 20min. of daylight each day. Just enough can get through the clouds. The vitamin D supplements will help big time. Studies show many Americans are deficient..especially night shifters like me. Also, laughter stimulates the good neurotransmitters in the brain like Seratonin. Watch comedies and engage in funny and crazy activity. Go sledding off a deep ravine. Also, eat lots of turkey.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Ever hear of SAD? It's basically when you're buried under 5 feet of snow, it never gets above 25 degrees, the sky is perpetually overcast and grey, and it lasts 5 fricken months. It's physiological explanation is the lack of vitamin D that you would normally get naturally from sunlight.

I definitely have it pretty bad this year. I don't feel like doing a damn thing. Just wondering if anyone up here in the Northeast has any good remedies. If so, lay um on me!
I take a vitamin D supplement and believe it or not a tanning bed makes you feel better also if you can live with the risks from uv light,if you don't want the "fake bake" look,wear sunscreen while in there,and force yourself to get outside if you have to.I have to make myself get out lately.I know how you feel and I'm in KY.

Look at the weather channel ,the Gulf coast has winter storm warnings ,you can also laugh at them trying to drive in snow,just sayin!!

And let's not forget there is a blessing hidden here,We haven't had to look at Al Gore's face or put up with his "global warming " garbage for a while now.

·
Registered
738 Posts

I lived in New England for 45 years and now live in Portland, OR (no sun from November - May). So, I am very familiar with SAD.

First, avoid the constant TV, snack food and beer routine (not that there is anything wrong with the beer part), since it feeds on itself and makes things worst (not to mention increasing weight). The more you sit, the worse you feel, the worse you feel, the more you sit........

Surviving the winters in New England means developing new interest and activities that only take place during that period.
  • Outdoor activities: down hill and cross country skiing, snow shoeing, skating, hiking (when there is no snow)
  • Indoor activities: hitting the gym, organized indoor sports, book clubs and hobbies like modifying a VN750
  • Volunteering: church, civic groups, charities, etc.
All of these ideas have 2 things in common; they stimulate the mind through planning, commitment and anticipation and stimulate the body through physical movement. Basically, stay busy and physically active (this is key) and spring arrives before you know it. Meetup.com, Cragslist, church bulletins, local coffee shop bulletins are great places to find groups that share your interests. Also, daily vitamin D and fish oil supplements do help a lot.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,723 Posts
beer!
and
range time!

also a good time to plan out riding trip for the next summer!

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Take 2 Vitamin D gummies daily.
Better off getting the Vitamin D spray from Dr. Mercola (mercola.com). When sprayed under the tongue, it absorbs into the body quicker than pills or the like. It's also an all natural product. Been using it for about 6 months now.

I have nothing to do with his site, btw. I just trust his articles, because he does research, and backs up his writings with data.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Poppin some caps at the range does sound like some good anti SAD treatment.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Better off getting the Vitamin D spray from Dr. Mercola (mercola.com). When sprayed under the tongue, it absorbs into the body quicker than pills or the like. It's also an all natural product. Been using it for about 6 months now.

I have nothing to do with his site, btw. I just trust his articles, because he does research, and backs up his writings with data.
!s it a metered dose on the spray vitamin D? How much does it cost,is it comparable in price to the Gelcaps? They're like 5 bucks per 120 CT bottle.I may try it.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies fellas, I appreciate it. Some good ideas too! My Ma said the same thing about popping D pills, I'll do that. I might visit a tanning bed at some point too. I'm still pretty active at the gym so I assume that's the only thing keeping me any kinda sane.

Well we had some warm rain here and it was encouraging to walk out this morning and NOT see a driveway covered in white. The giant mounds have noticably decreased as well. It was nice to get a break, hopefully it continues at least for a little while. And if it doesn't refreeze maybe I'll take the bike out! :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Thanks for all the replies fellas, I appreciate it. Some good ideas too! My Ma said the same thing about popping D pills, I'll do that. I might visit a tanning bed at some point too. I'm still pretty active at the gym so I assume that's the only thing keeping me any kinda sane.

Well we had some warm rain here and it was encouraging to walk out this morning and NOT see a driveway covered in white. The giant mounds have noticably decreased as well. It was nice to get a break, hopefully it continues at least for a little while. And if it doesn't refreeze maybe I'll take the bike out! :smiley_th
Always listen to Ma's advice!!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Also, laughter stimulates the good neurotransmitters in the brain like Seratonin. Watch comedies and engage in funny and crazy activity.
This just means you need a higher dose of Carrie lol

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ You ain't kiddin! Well I actually got some sun yesterday and even took a vitamin D pill. I'm hittin' the gym today so I should be good. I'm looking into one of those lights too...

·
Registered
738 Posts
^ You ain't kiddin! Well I actually got some sun yesterday and even took a vitamin D pill. I'm hittin' the gym today so I should be good. I'm looking into one of those lights too...
Don't waste your money on a light panel that simply contains a full spectrum light bulb. Instead, replace some of your existing light bulbs with full spectrum bulbs (especially the bath vanity and kitchen). Full spectrum bulbs are available in just about every configuration, size and base (CFL, standard incandescent, even LED). They will be a few dollars more than standard bulbs, but you won't have to sit in front of a panel for 20 minutes each day. Plus the color of light they give out is very clean, natural and pleasing to the eye, so the added cost is worth it.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,723 Posts
what if I put my motorcycle on a treadmill and put a few miles on it in the garage? do yoiu think that would work? I could even put a fan in front of the treadmill and turn it on, so I could get some wind in my face! lol

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cglen, you're obviously a SAD guru I really appreciate you posting feedback. Everything you've written has been heeded. The vanity idea is damn good. I definitely found the right person to talk to about this by posting here. Thanks man.

Ruger's got a great idea too! Hmm, will the treadmill hold the weight? Whatever, all it holds now is hats! Worth a shot right?

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
what if I put my motorcycle on a treadmill and put a few miles on it in the garage? do yoiu think that would work? I could even put a fan in front of the treadmill and turn it on, so I could get some wind in my face! lol
You forgot the sunlamp! Need to get a mid winter tan while you're at it!

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Yeah, and you can ditch the gear too! Ride free and be safe, all at the same time! Maybe you can borrow that speedo from the guy in KM's picture!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts