Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i do a 'Search' on VN750 for a word, i get lots of results that are nothing more than the word showing up in the users Profile Signature.
for example if you search on 'coaster', your results set is everybody that has done a coaster and has it in their Signature. :doh:

can we get the search function changed to NOT include the Signature?

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
No, what we need is for folks not to list every freaking thing they did or plan on doing to their bike in their sig line.

It has been mentioned before and a few did clean up their sigs, but not enough folks have to make it work.

Most other forums have a rule on how much crap you can stick in your sig...really wish there was one here , mostly for the reason you brought up.

I do know of one member ( robardin ) that cleaverly made his "list" a JPG then posted that, as the software here can not read text in jpg or bitmap files...so the info is still there but it does not get caught up in the search engines intake as it were............

KM

·
Registered
52 Posts
Another plus is that with an image, you can more efficiently stack your mods in columns instead of one long column on the left. You have 500 pixels in width to work with and only 100 pixels in height, although it looks like Hiker's image gets by that limit somehow.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I don't think a search searches for any text in a sig, just the text in the post's themselves. At Least not with the search I just tried.

For quite awhile (the first 4+ years this site has been operational), we weren't able to 'Tag' post's with specific tag words. but now we can. Not sure how many here are aware of that.

So many times people say "Use the search function. That's what it's there for"
Well, once you start getting more and more post's, throughout the entire site, and those posts start getting a little off topic, you're bound to get many results in a search that seem completely irrelevant to what one is looking for.

I usually use the Google search feature, which let's you search just the site you're viewing. Seems to work pretty good, IMO.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, i think the search does included the signature..
do a search on 'coaster'...
an example thread it returns is the recent one on "Opinion on Tires"... the word coaster only appears in a bunch of the signatures, not in any of the actual 'text' of the thread.

i think the 'image' in the signature is a good idea...

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hyperbuzzin...
in fact.. do a search on "when life starts to" with the quotes.. and it will return only the threads with your signature in it.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Yes the search will key in on any text that contains the key word, and that includes text in sig lines. (I just did "coastered" and the time you see that exact word in the thread is in someones sig line)

Another option is to save the list as a JPG but don't put it as a sig line , add it to your photos in the gallery, and just leave a link to your photos in your sig line.

I only list my two photo sites, would not be hard to have a "photo" of a list of all my mods.

Hyper wins the prize for having a sig that takes up more room than his replies....lol.

The practice of the giant list in the sig line I think means more to the person who posted it than the others that have to see it every freaking time that person posts....but that is just how I feel as I just don't care what someone else has done to their bike, all that matters is what I have done to mine....lol

KM

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
hyperbuzzin...
in fact.. do a search on "when life starts to" with the quotes.. and it will return only the threads with your signature in it.
Actually, that was what I tried when I searched, and even tried just posts by me, as well as a couple other members kinda unique sig line words and all I get is.....

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : to"

I looked to see if there was a setting in the UserCP for this, but didn't see anything?

Hyper wins the prize for having a sig that takes up more room than his replies....lol.
WOO HOO!! I WIN!!

The practice of the giant list in the sig line I think means more to the person who posted it than the others that have to see it every freaking time that person posts....
There may be something DMAG or Dianna can do so a sig only shows on a members first post to a thread, and not in any subsequent ones in that thread

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I've just tested this and I get different results. First of all, are you using the "Search" button that is in the navigation bar going across the top of the site under the VN750 logo? The bar that has Portal, Forum, Gallery, etc... or are you using the "Search VN750>com--->" ?
Use the Search button and you will only get results from the body of the messages, not the signatures.
For instance, I searched "coaster" and got only threads where "coaster" was mentioned in someone's post, and it highlights it in red. I also searched for the string in quotes "when life starts to" and it returned ZERO results, which, knowing that Hyper (Tim) has the most posts here, it's obviously ignoring the signature line. Hope this helps!

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
I also tried punching in "when life starts to" (quotes included, and got 5 threads right off with Hypers sig line...there was an option to view all , not just the first 5 threads it picked, and I basicly got every thread Hyper replied to)

So not sure why the search would work different other than it is yours...

There may be something DMAG or Dianna can do so a sig only shows on a members first post to a thread, and not in any subsequent ones in that thread
Yes, we got software to edit out cuss words, lets have one that limits how much you can crap you can have in your sig line too...perhaps one that limits the size of the fonts and automaticly edits out words like Iridium, Mustang, Coastered, Pro-tac, etc...:rockon:

Or perhaps the members here could just fix their own sigs as suggested above....

KM

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
... or are you using the "Search VN750>com--->"
That would be the one we were talking about. The issue of course could be resolved if you contact every member and tell them not to use the "search vn750.com , but to use the search "feature" in the tool bar you mentioned.(between "shop" and "Quick links"...)

The problem is the other "search" is the most noticable and is the one newbies will tend to use....and have problems with.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, well that is interesting... i was using the 'search vn750.com'.. thought it would do the same thing as the other search... but it doesn't.
so maybe we should get rid of the 'search vn750.com' option.. not sure who would code 2 different areas to do a search and then make them search differently... oh wait a minute, yes i do.. i work with a bunch of 'youngsters' that don't think to far down the road on the code they write. :doh:

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
The 'search VN750.com' box is sponsored by Google, and I believe this site is sponsored by Google ads, so it's probably not something that would be able to be removed without a significant rise is site cost.

Sooo, don't use that search box and you wont get sig line search results!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts