Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 235 Posts
ya'll should just move up to a BMW size battery like i did. ;) if needed i could use this thing as an electric scooter now :D

One thing I forgot to mention about changing a battery...
When reattaching the battery cables, do the Positive one first, then the Negative. (for the same reason as doing it the other way when removing the cables).

Reactions: EasyRector
hyperbuzzin said:
When reattaching the battery cables, do the Positive one first, then the Negative. (for the same reason as doing it the other way when removing the cables).
i didnt think it would matter on a seal battery as there is no hydrogen gas leaking?

No hydrogen to ignite but the sparks can cause rapid heart rates and colorful language when it happens unexpectedly.

I got a glass mat at Advanced Auto Parts. I don't recall the price, due to buying it a year ago, My only problem is the R/R, but that t will be fixed in short order. the part number for them is ETX15L puts out 190 cca, plenty of starting power.

Hyper, you look at you! Mr. Electrical! :D

Good advice, though, that I was lacking for my early years of car fixes. Fortunately I missed experiencing any of those potential light shows, but just cause of dumb luck.

Hyper, you look at you! Mr. Electrical! :D

Good advice, though, that I was lacking for my early years of car fixes. Fortunately I missed experiencing any of those potential light shows, but just cause of dumb luck.

Well, it is an experience better left unseen !! Especially on a car.
I hate banging my head off an open hood while leaning into the engine compartment !!

MF Battery

Well, I've put over 4600 miles on my 2006 VN 750 and finally replaced the stock (Yuasa) battery with a MF Yuasa. Even a non-mechanic like me can do it (including adding the acid)! No more checking the water; no more battery hose.

I lubed the splines a while back (what an adventure)... the only other "recommended project" I haven't done is relocate the R/R, but the 3 stator wires are protected in separate sleeves and tucked back... I don't anticipate any problems.

My next do-it-yourself project is learning how to change my own oil -- I did it on a Suzuki GS 450T about 20 years ago, so I can probably figure out how to do it on this machine. Figuring out how to conveniently yet responsibly dispose of the old oil is a concern.

Beyond that, I guess the next thing to think long and hard about is whether or not I want to put some hard luggage on the bike. I sometimes carry a bunch of stuff to and from work, so it would be handy not having to strap a bag on the seat or rack. But I like the simple look, and the Plexifairing 3 already adds to the complexity.

I bought my battery from batterymart.com feb 2004.
Big crank $49.95
* 14 Ah @ 10hr rate
* 190 CCA
* ETX15L equivalent
* Sealed, Maintenance-Free
* Leakproof/Spillproof
* Ships fully charged ready to install
* Environmentally friendly, 100% recyclable
* Vibration Resistant Design
* Fully Charged out of the box
* Made in the USA
I am not sure who makes them. It is still going strong 3 years later.

I just bought a MF battery from Bikemaster. They are supposed to be made exactly like the Yuasa. (for less money) . I paid 59.00 and the numbers on the battery are BTX14AHL-BS, which is the equal of the Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS

I also got a MF battery from www.batterymart.com. It was $57 and I believe that included shipping. Arrived two days after online order. It is called Big Crank. Has all the same descriptions as the others and it is also manufactured near Reading Pa. You think it could be a labeling thing. Anyhow, it has been a night and day difference. Best thing I have done to the bike. It is an 03 and I had already replaced the wet battery twice.

So, are you saying the AGM batteries are better than the Yuasa, for example? Also, dumb question, do you have to charge all new batteries? I don't have a charger and have been putting off replacing the stock battery just to avoid the hassle.

Billable Ride,
AGM batteries are better than the flooded type (water & acid) batteries that typically come installed from factory. I put one in my bike this spring when first getting it out after its winter rest and I have yet to put it on the charger. Bike starts right up, never would before. I used to have to keep old battery on charger and bike would not start as easily even with the old type fully charged. It is truly amazing the difference. I would not have believed it, but I did not want to buy another water/acid battery that would only last for a short time and always require charging. I have let my bike set for periods of up to three weeks, due to weather and being busy, and it starts right up. I am almost certain I did not have to charge it prior to using it the first time.

OK, so I bought a Big Crank and just installed it. I took it out for a quick test ride and it started right up with no trouble. But, I notice while riding that the headlight indicator bulb was very faintly lit. This has never happened before. Any idea what that might be about?

If ya mean the white "Headlight" indicator on the dash, it should be faintly lit.

This is from the service manual.....

Attachments

Oh, how strange. I never noticed it before. Thanks!

I never noticed that before either....

BUT- for what its worth, I installed the AGM in my bike (I had no obvious problems with the liquid cell battery running in the bike), and the difference was amazing. I am not sure what fixed the problem, but I also installed iridium plugs with the AGM and I have yet to hear any backfiring when warm starting. It used to happen without fail, and scare the crap out of me when it did it! That was early last season when I replaced the parts.

81 - 100 of 235 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.