Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 235 Posts
For those of you that are thinking about plunking the money down for a M/F battery, here's another choice for you. The Interstate battery I bought has the number, CYTX14AHL-BS. It also has an MFG # M62H4L.
I also installed a volt meter. Bought one at NAPA for $18.00. Mounted it on the handle bars with a U bolt. Got the idea from Mainevulcan aka Norm, when we met last year by accident at the local Wal Mart. It's amazing after having to shell out the money for a stater, rectifier, and new battery how much seeing the needle of the voltmeter in the safe range make you feel so comfortable.
Ride Safe
Wayne :)

Aside from getting a Maint-free battery, a voltmeter should be next on your list so that you can keep on top of what your electrical system is doing. Mine is not the prettiest, but it works great. I have it calibrated to display voltage at the battery terminals, not the fuse box. You can see mine on my web page http://www.angeltowns2.com/members/norman/norm-mods-voltmeter.htm

My future project is to put inline fuses on my stator wires so if something were to go south, at least my stator is protected. Keeping your oil fresh will also extend the life of the stator as it will take much longer for oil gunk to form in the stator and overheat it.

keep the rubber side down.

Norm

Re: Replace your stock wet cell battery...Yuasa P#

Not to be a pill here, but as I'm an electronice GEEK I just must point out that this battery has 20 AH (amp hours) and aprox. 200 CCA. (cold cranking amps).

Just call me an "ElectroDweeb"!!!

jm1515 said:
The Yuasa High Perf Maint free battery is YXT14AHL-BS, available at a lot of places online and in stores.. Some points...
It has 20 CCA (cold cranking amps) MORE than the Westco, for abt the same money. Don't know abt any comparisons btw Sears or any other brand that might fit..
If you buy it online, it may come to you DRY (mine did), with the electrolyte. You will have to add the fluid, then charge overnite. Don't let this deter you...this is half the fun!! Some places are now filling them and shipping 'wet'.
Whichever brand you chose...get a MF asap. It will help your ride run better, and you'll be glad not to have to do one more pre-flight check...

Try to order the Yuasa High Perf Maint free battery YXT14AHL-BS for my Vulcan 1986. However no possibility to obtain in The Netherlands Europe. Ordering by internet in US is no option, due to non-delivery or transport to The Netherlands.
Somebody to help me?
Greetings Peter

I just bought the ytx14ahl-bs yuasa battery at bike bandit for 60 and a few cents with shipping and handling. I took your advice about buying the free maint battery, and my bike is about 3 months old. Hope it was worth it. I try to listen to experience when I can. thanks!!

Crystalship1 said:
Not to be a pill here, but as I'm an electronice GEEK I just must point out that this battery has 20 AH (amp hours) and aprox. 200 CCA. (cold cranking amps).

Just call me an "ElectroDweeb"!!!
Crystalship...Thanx for the added detail.
Re-read my post, and you will see that I was comparing CCA values. The Yuasa has 20 more CCA, according to both websites. That's why I think it's a better value.
I think it's only an 18~19 ah battery tho...

I just bought 2 ytx14ahl-bs Yuasa batteries for the wife's and my 750.

A question I have is...has anyone added the electrolyte and then let the battery sit overnight before charging or did you simply wait the recommended 30 minutes and then begin charging?

Would there be any benefit in waiting to charge the battery after adding electrolyte? Just curious.

Thanks!

I went out to Sears and got the Diehard 40055 MF battery last night. I'm looking to prevent starting problems before they start.

The directions for adding the fluid were pretty straightforward, but they were very unclear about how to go about charging the battery for the first time.

Any advice?

Rick

'06 Vulcan 750
NationalCycle 'Shield
Tourmaster bags

Hopefully you have a small battery charger such as the battery tender or equivalent (if not, you should invest in one). You must have a charger that will shut off automatically. Follow the instructions adding fluid to the battery and when they say charge the battery, hook up the charger to the smallest amperage charge possible (only one setting on a battery tender) and let it charge overnight or until the charger shuts off.

Loran in Npvl IL said:
Hopefully you have a small battery charger such as the battery tender or equivalent (if not, you should invest in one). You must have a charger that will shut off automatically. Follow the instructions adding fluid to the battery and when they say charge the battery, hook up the charger to the smallest amperage charge possible (only one setting on a battery tender) and let it charge overnight or until the charger shuts off.
Should we keep the tender on the battery every night? Once a week?

chasu99 said:
Should we keep the tender on the battery every night? Once a week?
I am somewhat neglectful in this regard. I only use my tender occasionally unless the bike is stored for the winter. I tend to ride often otherwise and have not bothered unless I have been doing a lot of slow riding. The best practice would be to have a routine to put the tender on every time you park the bike at home and leave it on (it is called a battery tender for a reason). This way the battery would always be fully charged and from what I have been hearing about people that do, the battery may even last longer.

Thanks, I received mine today. It came in yesterday and the dealer put in the liquid and set it on the charger overnight. Put it in at the shop and it started right up.

I ordered the Interstate CYTX14AHL-BS MFG#M62H4L as refered earlier in this thread. I just wanted to let anyone know, it is manufactured by YUASA. I'm kind of loyal to a local Interstate dealer.

I made the misstake to listen to the dealership when I decided to buy a new battery (which actually solved a big part of my start/charge problems) cause he told me the sealed one has different dimension than the old-type battery. My 2nd misstake was to not found this thread then.
A week later I went back and told to the guy to order me the sealed battery and I gave him the id of it which is the YUASA one that was posted all over this thread. He told me first that this is not to my bike and after it that it has different dimensions. I explained to him how much I'm interested about his opinion and that I know from secure source that this battery works.
I've got it yesterday (1 month from the US to Sweden), I had to fill it which was np at all, charged it and while I was waiting I've checked the YUASA homepage for dimension info about the 2 different batteries. Both has the same and the VN750 was listed on the sealed battery's page, too.
What can I say it did fit as it supposed to do. Cant say anything about any kind of different since the "old" one was only 1 month old so it worked fine but as I saw in the battery holder it was a bit rosty inside because of the acid so I'm glad that I can skip thinking about it anymore.
Thanks for a superb info even if I found it a bit late!

For a motorcycle battery, I don't think a 10 amp charger should be used. For most motorcycle battries, a 1 amp charger is recommended. If you have a large charger, use the smallest 12v aperage setting.

There are execptions to that... I recently left my key on and drained my battery completely. So much so, that neither the battery tender or my battery charger would start charging it. I set my larger battery charger to bost mode and after a couple of seconds the battery started taking a charge. I then switched to the 2 amp mode (smallest setting) and charged the battery overnight

2fas4u@insightbb.com said:
After filling the battery, I wait untill it quits bubbling before putting the caps on. Recommended charging is about 3-4 hrs with a 10amp charger.

21 - 40 of 235 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.