Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
221 - 235 of 235 Posts
I'll add the "Motobatt" batteries have good reviews.

But I just bought a Yusa for my bike. Hard to beat them.

Also will mention to look at the Lithium Ion batteries.....

I'm Merging this with the other thread we already have covering this.

I'll add the "Motobatt" batteries have good reviews.

But I just bought a Yusa for my bike. Hard to beat them.

Also will mention to look at the Lithium Ion batteries.....

I'm Merging this with the other thread we already have covering this.
Link to Shorai Li-on batteries: http://shoraipower.com/products?action=vehicle&type=175&make=1057&model=7864&year=7864

There is a guy who comes to our local bike nights that owns a pair of Goldwings. One is a sidecar rig. One of those bikes has a battery that he installed 10 years ago when he lived in Vancouver. I do not recall the make or exactly what type it is. I think it was a military grade gel battery, IIRC, and it cost about twice as much as a MF-AGM battery currently does.

I try to buy from local shops when possible. If we don't, then one day soon the local guy will not be in business any longer. JMHO

I am not a battery expert, but have read about issues with LI batteries in bikes. Charging output at idle is what concerns me. Don't know either way.
After looking at the above link, this is from that site.

"Shorai Batteries require a charging system output of 13.1 Volts or higher at idle, and must not exceed 15.2 volts at maximum output."

I know of several folks that installed the Shorai batteries (or simular units from another company) and have NOT reported any issues... But so far only two years of use to go by.

There are some "issues" you do have to know about first...or so I was told... You can't use "smart chargers" on Li batteries. If the temps go below freezing you need to let the battery "wake up", by turning on the ignition and waiting a few moments before hitting the starter. Neither of these really effect much as long as you're aware of them.

Biggest advantage over an AGM is weight. These batteries weigh about 8 times less than an AGM. So, great news for sport bike riders... But don't really see this as that big a deal with a cruiser. Cost is about twice of an AGM... Which makes one wonder why spend the cash for one of these for their Vulcan, until you read this:
"-Shorai LFX™ batteries operate at a higher voltage range and during cranking, maintain a higher voltage level which results in quicker starts."

If true, this would be s good thing. But again remember a good AGM makes a big difference too.....

Personally I think unless you have a sport bike that has its battery mounted in the front of the fairing I'm not sure a Li battery would be that big of advantage.
They do hold their charge much much longer than an AGM...so if you have multiple bikes and don't want to be juggling chargers from one to another you might find having Li batteries in your bikes more hassle free.

i have an autozone battery and so far has worked great even on really cold days. it's almost 2 years old. only time I've had to charge it was when i left my switch on all night.

The Deka ETX15L I bought from Advance Auto in August 2010 (it went into the Ninja after I sold the Vulcan) finally crapped out on me. It spent a winter sitting on the cold garage floor while the Vulcan was down, and I let it go dead a couple times this winter. I'm happy with 4.5 years of life knowing that it suffered some abuse during that time.

Advance is now carrying the AutoCraft TX14AHL in its place. The one I got still said ETX15L on the box even, but it rang up as the TX14AHL part number, so they really do seem to be equivalent, but just be aware that they might be marked differently now. Also be aware that they have a TX14AH (non-L) which has the terminals reversed. When I picked up my online order, they handed me the non-L, probably at least in part because the correct "TX14AHL" box said ETX15L on it.

The TX14AH had different style terminals on it and was only listed as 210CCA. My "TX14AHL" is the same style and 220CCA as my old one, but it's also still labelled as ETX15L on the box and the battery itself. Both the L and non-L pages show the old style terminals in the pics, but the non-L I had was definitely different. The new TX14AHL might be different as well. This leads me to believe they might be from a new supplier rather than Deka.

As usual, check http://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com for a coupon code. They almost always have one for $30 off $75, meaning you can get it for around $50. If you have an Advance nearby, it's a pretty good price on an AGM you can go get right now, instead of having to wait for shipping.

another battery option

I have had good success with batteries from batteryshark.com. Great price and has lasted:smiley_th:smiley_th:smiley_th several years

I have had good success with batteries from batteryshark.com. Great price and has lasted:smiley_th:smiley_th:smiley_th several years
Website may have shut down, it leads to a sketchy redirect placeholder website.

Deka ETX15L's are available from NAPA and Autozone under their own rebranded names nowadays. That's where I'll be headed when mine finally gives up the ghost (seems close with the hard cranking I've been getting...)

221 - 235 of 235 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.