Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Sealed Batteries for the VN750

94K views 234 replies 132 participants last post by  TonyO 
G
#1 ·
The number one tip we give every new member is to replace your stock wet cell battery with a sealed gel cell battery ASAP. You will avoid a lot of starting and performance problems with this simple modification.

Suggested batteries are... look up stuff to go here...

#2 ·
Re: Replace your stock wet cell battery for better performace

Does anyone have part numbers for the Yuasa and Wesco MF batteries?

My local shop looks at me like deer in the headlights.

I remember someone saying Sears sold them as the Die Hard, but Wesco was out of stock until July or something.

Thanks

#3 ·
Re: Replace your stock wet cell battery...Yuasa P#

The Yuasa High Perf Maint free battery is YXT14AHL-BS, available at a lot of places online and in stores.. Some points...
It has 20 CCA (cold cranking amps) MORE than the Westco, for abt the same money. Don't know abt any comparisons btw Sears or any other brand that might fit..
If you buy it online, it may come to you DRY (mine did), with the electrolyte. You will have to add the fluid, then charge overnite. Don't let this deter you...this is half the fun!! Some places are now filling them and shipping 'wet'.
Whichever brand you chose...get a MF asap. It will help your ride run better, and you'll be glad not to have to do one more pre-flight check...

#4 ·

Sears has the Yuasa battery under the DieHard label (Part# 44005). Several of us have that one. Might be a tad more expensive than Westco or Yuasa direct but with no shipping charge, probably about the same. Plus the joy of instant gratifications (<singing> [/]Don't care how, I want it now![/I]) I'm looking at the instructions that came with it and it says "Yuasa Battery Inc, Reading PA"

#120 ·
Sears has the Yuasa battery under the DieHard label (Part# 44005). Several of us have that one. Might be a tad more expensive than Westco or Yuasa direct but with no shipping charge, probably about the same. Plus the joy of instant gratifications (<singing> [/]Don't care how, I want it now![/I]) I'm looking at the instructions that came with it and it says "Yuasa Battery Inc, Reading PA"
I just picked mine up from Sears! I like the pre-measured acid!! It is currently soaking up the juices. I'll charge it later today (overnight) and let y'all know how it works......:rockon:

#6 ·

Ok...So I went to Sears to buy the MF battery. OMG...it was $80! Thats just crazy insane! So then I drove all over town and found various other stores that had wet batteries for $30 or so...but I figured I should pass on them and keep looking for a MF...I mean if I buy another wet I'm just gonna end up with acid and crap all over my bike again, right?

Bleh...

#7 ·

$80 vs $1000 for a stator replacement? How much was your junction box repair?

You can get the same Sears battery direct from Yuasa cheaper, at least through mail order/internet sales. Not as quick as walking out of Sears with it, but save a few buck. Westco batteries are also good and can be found. I think folks have recommended Batteries Plus as a source.

#8 ·
The first thing we suggest to all new vulcan owners (new or used) is to replace the stock wet cell battery with a Sealed Glass Mat battery. It will help save your electrical system from Acid damage, greatly reduce your weekly maintenance effort for the battery (no water to check, no acid to clean up), and it will prevent bike performance problems.

The two batteries recommeded by the group are the:

WestCo (stock # 12V14L-B)
http://www.westcobattery.com/battery_page.php?bid=14&vid=1&mid=150

Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS
http://www.yuasabatteries.com

Make sure you get the sealed battery folks ,not the wet cell ones where you have to keep adding water.

Sears in some places, also carries motorcycle batteries and has the Yusa one
(#44005)

RB

More good info

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [vn750archives] WestCo and Yuasa batteriesDate: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 05:24:01 -0800 (PST)From: Vince Hancock <unclegomer@yahoo.com>Reply-To: vn750archives@yahoogroups.comTo: vn750archives@yahoogroups.com

[Source: Ken Eng & Dan Morgan]

Both the Westco and Yuasa MF batteries are of the AGM
technology. Yuasa has a policy of not shipping theirs
with the acid in them. After adding the acid and
sealing it up it is the same as the Westco unit. With
an AGM battery the acid is absorbed into plates and
separators inside the battery. Therefore there is no
liquid inside the battery case to leak out.

From the Westco site:
These sealed batteries are built to perform. Multiple
features like Absorbed Glass Mat technology showcase a
completely sealed and maintenance-free battery that
provides the power needed for motorcycles.

Features
Maintenance-free
Sealed design
No liquid
Zero corrosion
Absorbed glass mat technology
Resists vibration damage.
Very low self-discharge rate
Higher cold cranking amps than stock wet batteries
Extra heavy duty terminal design

From the Yuasa site:
These sealed batteries are built to perform. Multiple
features like Absorbed Glass Mat technology showcase a
completely sealed and maintenance-free battery that
provides the power needed for motorcycles.

Features
Maintenance-free
Sealed design
No liquid
Zero corrosion
Absorbed glass mat technology
Resists vibration damage.
Very low self-discharge rate
Higher cold cranking amps than stock wet batteries
Extra heavy duty terminal design

The Maintenance Free Battery
Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Technology is an advanced
battery design used in Yuasa's Maintenance Free
Batteries that eliminates water loss. Once it's filled
with acid the battery is permanently sealed - so
you'll never need to fill it with water or check the
acid level.

Long Life
Because of its lead calcium design, the AGM battery
will hold its specific gravity more than three times
longer than conventional lead antimony types. This
means much longer periods between ! charges when the
battery is used in a standby mode, like winter
storage.

And to remain factory-fresh the AGM battery is shipped
dry along with its own pack of high-gravity acid
that's added at the time of installation.

Sealed, Non-spillable
Once filled with acid from its special packs, the AGM
battery is virtually maintenance free. It's totally
sealed and all of the acid is absorbed in the special
plates and separators, so there is no need to worry
about acid leaks on valuable vehicle parts and
accessories.

Ken
NJ

----------------------------------------------------------------
Actually both batteries are the SAME. The difference is that Westco fills
the battery with electrolyte and charges it before shipping it to you or the
dealer. Yuasa has you do it for them. They both use the exact same
technology. The terms used differ slightly but in all ways, the same
technology. Westco says AGM or Absorbed Gas Mat technology whereas Yuasa
says they use advanced gas recombinant technology. It's the same thing
folks. It's all a copyright thing. If both used the exact same terms, one
would be paying royalties to the other. Here's something else. Westco uses
the term "valve-regulated design" when describing their battery. Guess What?
Yuasa says the EXACT SAME THING. Let me quote from Yuasa:

"Yuasa's innovative sealed VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) batteries are a
new generation made possible by advanced gas recombinant technology. These
include the YT and YI series batteries. We refer to them as "sealed VRLA
batteries" here."

The reason the Yuasa is cheaper? They don't have to pay someone to fill and
charge the battery before shipping it out.

Dan Morgan

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [VN750] WestCo Battery and ChargerDate: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 04:54:37 +0000From: Pete Morton <mortonp@adelphia.net>Reply-To: VN750@yahoogroups.comTo: VN750@yahoogroups.com

WestCo has a 10% discount and free shipping special on purchase of a
MF battery and charger combination. See: http://tinyurl.com/236sw
(battery shown is for the VN750)

The charger charges the battery in three stages. First it charges
at 1.2A until the battery voltage reaches 14.3 volts, then maintains
14.3 volts until the charging current drops to 0.2A, and then
maintains 13.8 volts indefinitely. (The charging cycle restarts if
the charging current should increase to 0.2A.) The three-stage
charging process prevents the battery from being overcharged and
allows maintaining battery charge over extended periods of battery
non-use.

A cable is provided with the charger for permanent connection to the
battery while installed in the bike. The charger may be connected
to the cable and the battery charged without removal from the bike.

I just received mine. Looks like a good system. I'll install the
battery in the 750 tomorrow.

-Pete, 2002 VN750 solid black (salvaged)
Finksburg, MD VROC #12468

#9 ·
WestCo 10% discount, free shipping MF battery/Charger Combo

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [VN750] WestCo Battery and ChargerDate: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 04:54:37 +0000From: Pete Morton <mortonp@adelphia.net>Reply-To: VN750@yahoogroups.comTo: VN750@yahoogroups.com

WestCo has a 10% discount and free shipping special on purchase of a MF battery and charger combination. See: http://tinyurl.com/236sw
http://www.westcobattery.com/battery_page.php?bid=14&vid=1&mid=150
(battery shown is for the VN750)

The charger charges the battery in three stages. First it charges at 1.2A until the battery voltage reaches 14.3 volts, then maintains 14.3 volts until the charging current drops to 0.2A, and then maintains 13.8 volts indefinitely. (The charging cycle restarts if the charging current should increase to 0.2A.) The three-stage charging process prevents the battery from being overcharged and allows maintaining battery charge over extended periods of battery non-use.

A cable is provided with the charger for permanent connection to the battery while installed in the bike. The charger may be connected to the cable and the battery charged without removal from the bike.

I just received mine. Looks like a good system. I'll install the battery in the 750 tomorrow.

-Pete, 2002 VN750 solid black (salvaged)
Finksburg, MD VROC #12468

#11 ·
Walmart has a schumacher <SPELL> that does basically the same thing with a permanent plug as well. 1.5 amp, 14.something volts, then to 13.2 for indefinate period. will also restart if loaded.
less than 20.00

I like mine.

#12 ·
Re: WestCo 10% discount, free shipping MF battery/Charger Combo

Hey:

Thanks for this info. I literally saw this while working in my cage, (wireless internet RULES!!), and jumped onto the Westco site and ordered it on the spot.

Arrived four days later ready to go. Even fully charged.

Ran it almost all the way down before I realizesd what my problem was.

Not the R/R, or the Stator. Seems like some idiod, (me) put on a neon license plate frame, and it just dawnwed on me that it was likely sucking more amperage than my weak electrical system was putting out. Duh!!

Anyway, I swapped it for the stock light, and even put LED tail/brake lights in to cut the draw.

Lesson learned.

D

#13 ·
Got the Die Hard (Part# 44005) yesterday. Filled with Electrolyte, charged overnight, installed this morning, and the VN rolled over nice and easy for the first time started in 2 weeks. It started so easily I wasn't even sure it had started.

When the guys saying to get the MF sealed battery claimed it made the bike run better, I didn't believe them. I mean, what can a battery have to do with how a bike ran after it was started? Am I crazy that I thought my Vulcan ran better than ever today or does the better voltage make that much a difference?

#14 ·
The better "more consistent" voltage makes that much of a difference, yes!
And. no more worries about acid spills or taking time out to take the seat off to check battery levels. (Means more riding time then!)

#15 ·
I found the same thing when I replaced the wet cell in my Savage with an MF battery. I had been having trouble getting it started, and after installing the MF, it started first time every time, and really did run better overall. It really helped that it was there when I sold it, too. Impressed the buyer that I had gone the extra mile to maintain the bike. I got my asking price with no haggling.
I guess that I threw in the extra oil filters and the back rest didn't hurt either.

#16 ·
simple reason really, the MF battery has less internal resistance, whitch means the voltage is concistant as previously mentioned. when starter motor runs, there is still a higher voltage output than the same size wet battery. also when your ignition needs more power, the voltage doesnt drop either.
:)

#17 ·
Just replaced the stock battery after two months of frustration, with the sears part #44005, so far so good. What a world of difference. If things keep going as good as they did this weekend, I may actually build up alot of coinfidence about the bike starting warm or cold. Thanks very much for the info it is greatly appreciated.

Neil
West Palm Beach
2005 Vulcan

#18 ·
Yes guys , I had replaced my 6 month old (?) Yuasa Battery for a New Yuasa Dry FM Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS in my VN 750 /1990
, and surprise,,, all starting problems dessapear magically ( cold , hot , warm ,,),, no doubts .
I recommend strongly , but ,,, when I try to put the new battery inside the battery box , the battery result 1/2 inch greater , and so i had to cut the box holder and enlarge it adding by welding strips of metal plate , and finally bolting the box to the frame from outside instead from inside ( clear,,, or not )
Good Luck Vulcaneers

#19 ·
I finally bit the bullett. I spent $70.00 and bought an Interstate sealed battery for my 85 VN700. I went with interstate because of the 5 calls I made to Sears, Wal Mart, and 2 other places that deal exclusively in batteries, the people at Interstate were the only folks that understood what I meant by Maintenance Free. One guy even explained his understanding of M/F by stating "once you put it in the bike, you don't have to do anything to it". Although the battery he wanted to sell me had a vent tube. hmmmmmm. Another said, "bring your battery down, I'm sure we can find something that will fit".
So I put in the electrolite (acid), and charged her up. Installed it, and pressed the starter button. I didn't even hear it turn over before the bike was running. Nice :). I had the stater replaced last year, and the rectifier. I hope this will be the end of my electrical problems.
This is the start of the riding season here in Maine. We already have a ride planned to go to a place called "Hight of Land" in the Rangely Lakes area. I'm hoping it all goes well.

Ride Safe
Wayne :)

#20 ·
gnon2705 said:
I finally bit the bullett. I spent $70.00 and bought an Interstate sealed battery for my 85 VN700. I went with interstate because of the 5 calls I made to Sears, Wal Mart, and 2 other places that deal exclusively in batteries, the people at Interstate were the only folks that understood what I meant by Maintenance Free. One guy even explained his understanding of M/F by stating "once you put it in the bike, you don't have to do anything to it". Although the battery he wanted to sell me had a vent tube. hmmmmmm. Another said, "bring your battery down, I'm sure we can find something that will fit".
So I put in the electrolite (acid), and charged her up. Installed it, and pressed the starter button. I didn't even hear it turn over before the bike was running. Nice :). I had the stater replaced last year, and the rectifier. I hope this will be the end of my electrical problems.
This is the start of the riding season here in Maine. We already have a ride planned to go to a place called "Hight of Land" in the Rangely Lakes area. I'm hoping it all goes well.

Ride Safe
Wayne...this will be the best $70 you've spent on you're ride (so far!).
I'm pretty sure the Interstate is made by Yuasa/Exide....could you post the battery number when you get the chance??
For x-reference...

#21 ·
For those of you that are thinking about plunking the money down for a M/F battery, here's another choice for you. The Interstate battery I bought has the number, CYTX14AHL-BS. It also has an MFG # M62H4L.
I also installed a volt meter. Bought one at NAPA for $18.00. Mounted it on the handle bars with a U bolt. Got the idea from Mainevulcan aka Norm, when we met last year by accident at the local Wal Mart. It's amazing after having to shell out the money for a stater, rectifier, and new battery how much seeing the needle of the voltmeter in the safe range make you feel so comfortable.
Ride Safe

#22 ·
Aside from getting a Maint-free battery, a voltmeter should be next on your list so that you can keep on top of what your electrical system is doing. Mine is not the prettiest, but it works great. I have it calibrated to display voltage at the battery terminals, not the fuse box. You can see mine on my web page http://www.angeltowns2.com/members/norman/norm-mods-voltmeter.htm

My future project is to put inline fuses on my stator wires so if something were to go south, at least my stator is protected. Keeping your oil fresh will also extend the life of the stator as it will take much longer for oil gunk to form in the stator and overheat it.

keep the rubber side down.

Norm

#24 ·

Not to be a pill here, but as I'm an electronice GEEK I just must point out that this battery has 20 AH (amp hours) and aprox. 200 CCA. (cold cranking amps).

Just call me an "ElectroDweeb"!!!

jm1515 said:
The Yuasa High Perf Maint free battery is YXT14AHL-BS, available at a lot of places online and in stores.. Some points...
It has 20 CCA (cold cranking amps) MORE than the Westco, for abt the same money. Don't know abt any comparisons btw Sears or any other brand that might fit..
If you buy it online, it may come to you DRY (mine did), with the electrolyte. You will have to add the fluid, then charge overnite. Don't let this deter you...this is half the fun!! Some places are now filling them and shipping 'wet'.
Whichever brand you chose...get a MF asap. It will help your ride run better, and you'll be glad not to have to do one more pre-flight check...

#25 ·

Try to order the Yuasa High Perf Maint free battery YXT14AHL-BS for my Vulcan 1986. However no possibility to obtain in The Netherlands Europe. Ordering by internet in US is no option, due to non-delivery or transport to The Netherlands.
Somebody to help me?
Greetings Peter

#26 ·
I just bought the ytx14ahl-bs yuasa battery at bike bandit for 60 and a few cents with shipping and handling. I took your advice about buying the free maint battery, and my bike is about 3 months old. Hope it was worth it. I try to listen to experience when I can. thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.