1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Pretty cool on the sea foam. Alot of other interesting videos on sea foam too.

I think it's about time we add a "Sights & Sounds" section to post audio & video clips. Then when someone wants to go find audio clips of a guy's bike, they're not searching aimlesly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've watched a lot of these videos on seafoam, however I fail to see one that shows a marked improvement to how the vehicle runs. The smoke coming out of the exhaust isn't carbon, it's seafoam and how it burns through an intrernal combustion engine. I'm not so impressed.
Personal experience: So far I've run 1/3 can through the fuel tank of my 750 and had NO improvement. I still wound up pulling my carbs to get the bike running better.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I cannot believe that kind of abuse is good for an engine.

As soon as Seafoam and other gasoline additive producers are willing to tell me exactly what is in their product and exactly how it works, I would be willing to consider. And as soon as there is a legitimate, independent study that proves their claims, I'll go out and buy it. Until then, I'll stick with changing my oil as suggested in the manual.

It's not a sexy, quick fix, but following the maintenance guidelines will give you a longer engine life than a dozen bottles of any of these additives.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I know I had a noisy lifter on my Ranger for the longest time. I did the seafoam in the crank case, and changed the oil. Used the same oil (Castrol) I always used, and the same filter. I don't have a noisy lifter anymore.

Not saying it's scientific proof, but I also find it hard to believe the lifter just decided it was a good time to unstick.

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
Seafoam is reccomended here to keep the carbs clean and the fuel lines clean. Although you can do more with the stuff as the video shows, most folks I know do not do this.

If you have very dirty carbs and alot of crap in your gas tank, Seafoam may make things worse , as it will loosen **** up that can potentialy block up stuff.
But once you are sure your carbs and tank are fairly clean, seafoam will keep them that way, and that is the selling point for me. It does work in this regard, and I know for a fact that my lawnmowers with seafoam treated gas started eaiser in the spring than the ones with out.
Break downs of carbs showed varnishing, or gelled gum.The seafoamed carbs looked brand new inside.

I would to be skeptical of other claims for the product, but I , from years of use know that putting a few ounces of Seafoam in your bikes tank every other fill up does in fact keep the fuel system clean.
So I will continue to use it in my bike and reccomend that everyone else use it also. It is however not a cure for a badly clogged up carb, sometimes you just have to do the work and take them apart to clean them.

KM

·
Addicted to Projects
545 Posts
Oh yea it also WILL NOT grow hair on a bald head!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damm!

Oh yea it also WILL NOT grow hair on a bald head!
But I did use 1.5 cans on a 88 Ford Festiva that was given to me for a commuter car in the winter when I can't ride. The carb was real dirty and gummy. Followed the SeaFoam suggestions but it could not loosen up the crap or open up all the jets/passages so had to tear down the carb. I really wanted the easy fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd like to see a shootout of different "carb cleaners" in circumstances like the above. It would be nice to know what works and what you can actually trust to do the job before prying out an engineers revenge like the vn750 carbs

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
B-12 CHEM works great as a cleaner too and is half the price.

DT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts