Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seafoamed my gas today. I put 2 ounces in the 1/2 full tank. The bike is smoking like a hippie. Is that normal?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The first time I ran it through my '83 Nighthawk 750 it did that. May want to hear from some of the others here first, but I think it's fairly normal. The Nighthawk did it A LOT but after it cleared it ran much better.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Sounds normal to me. I put the whole can in a full tank even though it says it's good for a minimum of 8 gallons. I use Seafoam on my truck through the brake booster and she smokes like a chimeney for 15 minutes.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I used seafoam in a fresh tank of gas. Smoked a little at first, but what do you expect it is in the process of kicking butt. totally normal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I put half can to a full tank and no smoke at all

·
Registered
721 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Mine smoked as well. It will stop it with the next fill up.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Seafoam is an additive that cleans and not as flammable as gas so that is where the smoke is coming from when using a higher dosage. It also depends on if it is fresh gas as apposed to some that has sat for a while. The other stuff that I use regularly K-100mg doesn't smoke but you can feel a slight difference in how it runs. That has a bit more flammability then seafoam. One thing about using a lot of additives.....You should check your plugs periodically to make sure they are burning good. Sometimes over use of an additive can put build up on them and reduce the burn/spark.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I used seafoam twice on my last bike (500 vulcan). The previous owner did not care for her at all as the leather seats where torn, chipped/peeling paint, and rust on the engine/chrome pieces... So needless to say the inside was no different, when I ran the seafoam I completely clogged up the fuel filter (rusty tank) and must have loosened crap into the carbs as she would bog down under full throttle... I solved the problem by running carb cleaner through the fuel line (should have cleaned the carb) as I had never torn down a carb b4 and was rather bashful... Now that I know how simple it is (have seen step by step guides) I'd have no problem. But boy am I glad to have my newer 04 750 vulcan now! She runs like a dream. As for seafoam, that stuff works great, definately does it's job! Just in my case when used on an older bike it got me into some trouble though saved me from the same problem down the line!

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Maybe I have more carbon buildup than some had. I heard if you pour it in the vacuum hose on cars they smoke like mad, but thats more pure seafoam. I hope she stops smokin.

·
MrSkydriver
67 Posts
Seafoam

I put a couple ounces in a 3/4 full tank for the first time yesterday. I did not notice any smoke but the smell was not all that pleasant........:( I was very surprised at how smooth it ran and most of the popping when coasting was gone (have not coastered yet)....:wow: My Vulcan only has 8k miles and I did not expect much difference in performance so I was pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I put a full can in mine and don't get any smoke, but I also do it at the gas station before I start pumping so the seafoam gets mixed in better.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
I put a full can in mine and don't get any smoke, but I also do it at the gas station before I start pumping so the seafoam gets mixed in better.
I would think that once you get moving and hit a few bumps it is all mixed. between the up and down of the bumps and the leaning from turns there should be a nice mix within a few short miles. You could even hold your front brakes and while straddling the bike push down on the bars a few times and you will hear the sloshing sounds from the tank. Mixing can be done actively or passive by just riding.

Reactions: readparse

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
You could even hold your front brakes and while straddling the bike push down on the bars a few times
That's how I do it :smiley_th

1 - 15 of 15 Posts