Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just wanted to see if anyone had any positive/negative recommendations (or experiences) on whether Seafoam or Stabil is better to use? The guy at Pepboys recommended Stabil when I told him I was looking for something to use in my bike. The price isn't a decider, they are both about the same. I decided to wait to check with everyone in here.

thx

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have only used Seafoam from day 1 and it works great.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Sta-bil sits on top of the gas and with some gas formulas will actually gum up carbs. SeaFoam mixes with the gas and has the added feature of cleaning, and stabilizing.
SeaFoam only for me even with the lawn/garden tools!

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
Stabil is EVIL, stay away from it. Use only Sea Foam.

(back when gasoline was , in fact , gasoline, and not the green crap they sell now, Stabil might have been the way to go. The use of synthetic rubber/plastic in modern carbs/EFI systems are made to handle the properties of modern gas. Stabil is not.
Where's Bulldog to yell at you for even thinking of using that stuff?

Really, use Seafoam, it rocks.

KM

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
SEAFOAM!! No Stabil.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Hyper, where do you get all those animated gifs??? They are great!!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Most I get from HERE.
Ya just click on the one ya want, then go to the top of that page and copy the URL with the

·
Registered
553 Posts
Can't go wrong with seafoam, I've never had a problem with stabil, but it doesn't clean like seafoam does.

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all

Ok, I am most thoroughly convinced, and I promise to never even comtemplate the use of stabil ever again...lol. ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've been using Stabil in my mowers,chainsaws,weed eaters and boat for years and have never had a problem with them starting right away after sitting for a down season. I do use Seafoam in my bike, all of the other things have plastic fuel tanks, a little moisture wont mess them up for a full season like a tank full of rust. From what I've read on the Stabil it will keep the fuel fresh, I haven't seen anything about cleaning and removing moisture.

I continue to use both of them each in thier own way.

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did my Seafoam treatment this weekend. I added about 2 1/2 oz. to a full tank. I went with the slightly under 1 oz. to a gallon since I recently had a carb job done, so no cleaning needed there. Does this stuff mix fairly easily? I held the front brake and rocked the bike vigorously to give it a good mixing. It warmed up enough to go for a short ride Saturday afternoon, and the bike ran great.

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
I've been using Stabil in my mowers,chainsaws,weed eaters and boat for years and have never had a problem with them starting right away .

And you may never have a problem. But I know alot of smokers that do not have lung cancer. Will they ever develope it? who knows...the point here is the CHANCE of something going wrong is alot higher with using Stabil than using Seafoam. So if you really care about and love your bike, you should give it the best that the world offers and do not take any chances with stuff that has alot of negative press.

KM

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heat wave this week

I'd just like to add that I'm sold on the benefits of using Seafoam. We're having a freak heat wave this week (70's every day), so I'm getting in some riding time, and my bike has never run better since I added 2 1/2 oz. to a full tank. And, gas mileage seems improved, that needle doesn't want to go down like it used to. :smiley_th

1 - 15 of 15 Posts