Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing some other maintenance on the bike today (Thanks Bulldog and TOC Manugacturing) I was about to fill the manometer with mercury when I decided to take a look at where the carb sync screw was in case I actually had to make an adjustment. I found it right away. There was no way that any of my "stubby" screwdrivers were going to fit between the screw and the crankcase. I fitted a quarter inch socket on it but there was no room to swing a ratchet between the cylinders. What do the rest of this fine collective use? I'm picturing a small piece of metal tubing with a 90 degree bend in it with a cable snaked through it with a knob on one end to turn a socket on the business end. Or does everybody just stick a dime in the slot and hope they don't get their arms burned???

Buck

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
You can actually buy a carb sync screwdriver -MAC tools has one (MN08-0022) that works for our carbs. I haven't bought it yet, but am about to. At this point, I have a very long, thin, flat screwdriver that I can fit in there when I've got the throttle open. So I turn on the bike, check the manometer levels, turn off the bike, adjust the screw; turn on the bike again, and so forth. Not terribly efficient, but it works.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay!!! Thanks for the part number! I'll be checking out MAC Tools first thing Monday morning! What a great source of information...

Buck

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
As far as I'm aware, MAC is one of the only tool companies that carries motorcycle-specific tools. Oddly, my hairdresser has gone part-time at the salon, and is selling tools the rest of the time. I'm hoping to buy a few items from him next weekend when I go to get my hair cut! :)

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I'm hoping to buy a few items from him next weekend when I go to get my hair cut! :)
Hope you're not going to the extreme I did!! LOL

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
When I did my sync, I just used a 10 inch or so pair of needle nose pliers to grab the screw head. you can reach it fine from the left side and leave the bike running and sit there and watch the manometer and adjust as needed. Worked great!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay... so how do I use it now?

Okay... I bought this tool, and it's a nice tool. But for some reason I thought it was going to be flexible. It's quite rigid with a long screwdriver that can be removed from a tube with an 8mm socket welded on to it and a handle on the side to turn it with. The socket/tube is quite useless for syncronysing (sp?) these carbs. What does the collective do with this? Is the adjustment going to be so fine that you can stick the screwdriver in from the side and just turn this screw a degree or two if the slot just happens to be looking at you? The picture of it is on the ebay site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&viewitem=&item=330167094590

Thanks for any insight.

Buck

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Seeing as how I still haven't bought the right tool for that job, I can't explain how it works. But you have a good point about the fine-tuning - often I am able to get the screwdriver into the sync screw and just move it a couple of degrees. And that's all it needs. But I should think this thing was supposed to make your life easier!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used a 7mm open ended spanner, works well enough.

just need to try and get the air/fuel mix screws out now!!

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Actually most thermometers no longer have mercury in them...

The carb sync tool (manometer) comes with mercury. Or ya can go with the $1.55 manometer like many of us (myself included) have http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
lancer, I really wish I hadn't read your post... do-dooo do-do-do.

Kanuck, even if you could use mercury, it'd be really bad for your career/life/health longterm. The oil is much more user-friendly. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts