Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Scala Rider Q2 Multiset (Intercom)

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  peerless 
#1 ·
I don't know how many of you guys use bike to bike communication, but I thought I'd give a brief review on the Scala Rider Q2 Multiset that I purchased for $229.95 total (no shipping or tax for TN at least) last week. So far, I am blown away with the sound quality. It came with 2 units which are paired. It has built in FM receiver with up to 6 preset stations. It's light, easy to install, and bluetooth compatible. You can pair each unit with up to 2 units and one bluetooth device. If you like, you can play your mp3 player through it with the cord that is included, but I don't like to be bothered with cords. Of course, each unit can listen to separate stations/mp3's. I now have my phone paired with mine (I am waiting on by Nuvi 265wt to arrive) so I have been able to check it out by taking and making calls. No one I have talked to even knew I was riding a bike on the highway doing 60 mph. When my neighbor gets his set, I'll be able to talk to him and my wife; my wife can talk with me and his wife; his wife can talk to him and my wife. Can't wait for my Nuvi to arrive to that I can pair my phone with it and it to my Scala Rider and get turn by turn directions and use my phone hands free. I order late Monday night and received them Thursday UPS. The only negative I can mention is the quality of the mp3's through the headset. FM is great, MP3's, not so much. Here's the link where I ordered: http://www.easternperformance.com/p...la-Rider-Q2-Multiset-Headset-Bluetooth-MP3-FM

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad you posted that peerless my riding buddies son works at Lexington Motorsports ,Lexington KY(shameless plug) and he was telling his dad and I we should get the Scala system rather than buying the blue tooth helmets .He gave a good report on the system.A few questions though.Is it a stereo and is the one you got set up for rider and passenger ,because I have never carried a passenger for any length of time and don't need a dual unit.But I want the features you mentioned FM ,hands free phone ,and mp3 hook up and bike to bike communicator,is it as clear as Jason says ? And is it stereo,and does it come in a one helmet setup or can Ted and i buy a two unit setup and split it between bikes ?

#3 ·
You can use it with a passenger, but the Q2 has a range of about 550 yards in clear terrain. My wife and I use them from bike to bike; it is completely wireless. The also sell the single unit, but I bought the multiset which is two complete units. You could split the cost of the multiset and use it on separate bikes; there is nothing connected to the bike. Heck I walked around the cul-de-sac checking it out, calling the house by simple telling it to dial the number, etc. Yes, it is clear as all get out; sounds as clear as a regular phone call if you use a FFH; not sure about open face. If you split a multiset, and happened to ride with a third rider with the same kind of unit, you could also pair yours with theirs. It is stereo, but keep in mind I don't like the quality of the mp3 sound (could be my mp3 player, not sure) but the built in radio is great. The mount attaches to your helmet, the removable unit attaches to the mount. The manual says they are good for 4 hours of talk time and 10 hours on standby before recharging. The speakers are wired to the mount and you route them under the padding and velcro them into place on each side. They are about the size of three quarters stacked. I hope this helps. Heck if you like, PM me your phone number and I'll call you tomorrow evening when I'm out and you can judge for yourself.

#4 ·
Cool, for me ,your word is enough. although I did want to hear from some one who actually had one and now that I know we can split a set that is great,J, can get me and his dad a good discount.I just bought a rear metzeler for less than I could get it online any where even after KY sales tax.Thanks a bunch ,Denny

#5 ·
Cool, for me ,your word is enough. although I did want to hear from some one who actually had one and now that I know we can split a set that is great,J, can get me and his dad a good discount.I just bought a rear metzeler for less than I could get it online any where even after KY sales tax.Thanks a bunch ,Denny

PS I ride with a FF any way so does Ted

#6 ·
No problem, Denny, I know you'll like it. The link I posted was the cheapest I found after a lot of research so that's cool he can get you a good deal. To me, they are worth the price. I no longer have to stop at an intersection, raise my shield, and ask my wife, "now where?" when we ride on weekends, lol. Post what you think after you get them and check them out. JW

#7 ·
I thought about the Scala set up, but I don't ride 2 up with the wife on back. So I am looking at the Midland 75-822 Portable CB. As for my cell, I don't like talking on it while riding. Interferes with the fun.

#11 ·
From what I understand, the Nuvi does not send voice prompts via bluetooth, so not sure how you can "pair" the GPS to your Scala. You can pair it to your phone, but I do not think you can pair it to the gps and use your phone via the gps or recieve voice via the gps.

My understanding is only the Zumo series sends voice prompts via bluetooth.

KM

#12 ·
You very well could be right, so I probably misspoke. I haven't tried it yet because I just unboxed it this evening and I'm updating the maps as I type. I'll be okay with it either way. As it stands, my phone is not compatible with the Nuvi I bought, I don't think my Nuvi will give turn by turn through the headset. My phone works great through the headset and I can look at the Nuvi for directions if the need be. At least this way, I don't have to get a new phone to make it all work the way I want, lol. If it turns out I can get turn by turn via bluetooth, I won't mind having to get a new phone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.