Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for opinions and comments on animal alerts such as save a life deer alerts. the type where wind passes through and creates a high frequency sound to alert animals. ken s.

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
No harm in trying but they dont really work. I've heard of several people hitting deer with them on thier car. My mom hit a deer with them on her car, and the deer actualy struck the bumper on the exact place where one of the whistlers was mounted breaking it off.

We have areas here that are notorious for deer running into taffic. Slow down and keep watch. If you see a deer near the side of the road, slow down even more, he could bolt at any moment. It's been my experience that, deer, rabbit, squirrels ect KNOW that dangerous vehicles move down these roads that they cross. So they kind of wait by the edge of the road trying to make certian it's clear. Then when they hear your car coming, they get nervous and just BOLT.

Last year a man hit a deer near here and it actualy went through the windshield into the car. The car was found, with the dead deer in the back seat. The driver was deliriuos and wandered off. It was several days before his body was found and several weeks before anyone tried to explain what might have happened.

·
Registered
387 Posts
My mom hit a deer with them on her car, and the deer actualy struck the bumper on the exact place where one of the whistlers was mounted breaking it off.
Maybe she had it installed backwards so that it called the deer in instead of scaring it away. :doh::D:D

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Maybe she had it installed backwards so that it called the deer in instead of scaring it away. :doh::D:D
Actually I have heard complaints that they do attract dogs!

·
Registered
185 Posts
If that were the case all the rednecks would just beef up thier bumpers and EVERYONE would be using these to hunt with pickups instead of thier rifles.

The deer can hear your engine, he can hear your tires on the road, he can hear your vehicle cutting through the wind. Not sure why adding a whistler to eveything would change the fact that he can already hear you.

Like I said, no harm in trying. But with all the people I know who've hit deer, I wouldnt bother with it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here's a bit of info from Lancer's link.

Deer
whistles that attach to vehicles have
been available for more than 20
years. The whistles produce ultrasonic
noise (16 to 20 kHz) when a
vehicle exceeds about 30 mph. The
presumption is that deer will hear
the noise and be warned away. It’s
unclear whether deer do hear the
noise, but in any event studies
show the whistles have no effect on
deer behavior.
“People approach this hoping
to find quick and easy solutions,
but there aren’t any. Whistles don’t
work,” Hedlund says

http://www.hwysafety.org/sr/pdfs/sr3901.pdf

and

Based on our research at Texas A&M, and the studies conducted by Dr.
Marchington at the University of Georgia, it seems very unlikely that
deer whistles will be effective at reducing deer-vehicle accidents.
Also

A scientific advisory panel from the World Society for the Protection
of Animals states, after extensive review, that there is no known data
"that shows that such devices can actually stop an animal crossing the
road, which is the main purpose of the device."

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks to all that replied on the deer warning whistles. i'm convinced. i removed them from my bike, k.s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts