Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 25K on my 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. And I've been thinking about getting something new, shiny, and maybe bigger. There are some nice machines out there. But when I consider that I use my bike for these purposes ~ one long trip a year, a handful of short/regional trips, daily commuting to work in city traffic, and occasional rides in the country ~ I can't find anything that fits the total bill better than a VN 750. Sure, there are better choices for my 500-mile trips, my 20-mile commute, and those country twisties. But nothing does it all ~ with dependability and that classic old-school style ~ like my Vulcan.

My Camry has nearly 160K on it, and I'm aiming at 300K. Maybe I'll just keep riding the Vulcan in the same way. It's fun to change it up sometimes. But no payments are fun too!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Only the cognoscenti appreciate the classics Charlie.
It`s a wise man who recognizes a good thing when he has it.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
On the Camry. hang in there. I have 335,000 on my Corolla ,it still runs like an Elgin watch.

·
2,527 Posts

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
What the hell is an Elgin watch?

If you want something bigger but in the old style, you may have to go older significantly older than your '06. If you don't mind newer and are looking for bigger, check out Kawi's Vulcan 900's. They'll treat you better on the highway going to work and, with the right gear, can make a great tourer.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I must say, I do enjoy the occasional ride on my brother n laws 900. We picked it up for a hair over $4000. It had 1800 mikes on it & was only three years old last year. It's a nice ride. But in the same respect I to enjoy not having a payment. I suppose that's why I'm still riding my vulcan. Driving my civic (338,000 Miles) & milking my jeep ( a meer 178,000). When the time is right for change, be wise enough to see it. =)

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a elgin watch too. I thought about buying something bigger. But why waste money that you dont need to. I decided to make my vn750 more enjoyable while riding. I put on different grips, floorboards, gps & radio, radar detector, gel seat, drivers backrest. I spent about $350.00 on the listed above items. I am now riding more in comfort.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I must say, I do enjoy the occasional ride on my brother n laws 900. We picked it up for a hair over $4000. It had 1800 mikes on it & was only three years old last year. It's a nice ride. But in the same respect I to enjoy not having a payment. I suppose that's why I'm still riding my vulcan. Driving my civic (338,000 Miles) & milking my jeep ( a meer 178,000). When the time is right for change, be wise enough to see it. =)
Whoa, whoa, whoa - one of me seems to be enough. Let's not get crazy. LOL!!!

I paid 4700 for the '02 meanie with 4200 on the clock. I found it via Craig's List at a Subaru dealership - they obviously didn't know what they had. Just to test the guy, I said the carbs needed to be cleaned. It's FI, there are no carbs. Anyway, after talking him down to 47, I was sold. I stole it but whatever. I told them I'd drive it off the lot. Some kinda rule didn't allow me to so they shipped it to me for free. I made out like a bandit. I got an unexpected chunk of change last October so I threw it at the bike. I have no payment - she's all mine. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Love it

I love reading posts like yours, because even after putting only a little over 400 miles on mine, I am feeling the same way. It's good to know that someone who has put a lot more on still feels that way.

Of course mine is sitting now (only been for a few days) after attempting to do a mod to make it more comfortable on longer rides - adding the highway peg mounts that Chad sells. Ran into a problem after snapping one of the exhaust bolts when trying to take it off.

Hopefully, I should have it all fixed this week and be back on the road though. I truly love my VN750, and am planning to do whatever I need to keep it on the road. I've seen all the new bikes out there, and even though there are some nice ones, I still prefer my VN750 - ears and all!

:)

AZ Kev

·
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner
261 Posts
I've been loving my VN750 for 9 years now. First my '86, and now my '00. Now that I have 45K on mine, I have begun thinking about what my next bike will be. The only thing that has caught my eye is the Honda NT700V. If my VN750 ever dies, I think I will get one, especially now that it comes in BLACK.

http://powersports.honda.com/2011/nt700v.aspx

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I've been loving my VN750 for 9 years now. First my '86, and now my '00. Now that I have 45K on mine, I have begun thinking about what my next bike will be. The only thing that has caught my eye is the Honda NT700V. If my VN750 ever dies, I think I will get one, especially now that it comes in BLACK.

http://powersports.honda.com/2011/nt700v.aspx
"Psst, (whispering) that'a 680. You're sacrificing 70 cc's."

"Pssssssssssst, (whispering even lower) get a meanie..."

Hey did you guys hear something?

·
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner
261 Posts

"Pssssssssssst, (whispering even lower) get a meanie..."

Hey did you guys hear something?
Yeah, I heard that. And I've got nothing at all against a Meanie. But..... 50+ mpg, centerstand, full fairing, adjustable windshield, ABS, etc., including lots of aftermarket farkles. Not to mention a forum ALMOST as good as this one.

Besides, the VN750 is really only 749, so I'm only "sacrificing" 69 cc's. Plus I don't give a rat's patootey about cc's. <grin>.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
CC's only matter in comparable engine designs. There are many 600cc bikes that can eat a meanie up with little effort.

The Honda is a pretty cool bike...it just seems a bit overpriced for what you do get compared to other bikes of simular intent. That said..if it was offered at the time I was looking for a bike, I might have got one instead of the Vulcan.

And now of course, I have a larger version of it....... ;)

KM

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only thing that has caught my eye is the Honda NT700V. If my VN750 ever dies, I think I will get one, especially now that it comes in BLACK.
This bike intriqued me too. I went to study one up close for the first time last weekend. It's got a lot of plastic on it! It also rides much higher than the VN 750. Most significant, it doesn't have the Vulcan's ooomph. (Well, the 1300 cc version does...) All the reviews I've read say that the 700 (well, almost 700) is a solid (if boring) commuter. Apparently, it's been very popular in Europe.

·
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner
261 Posts
This bike intriqued me too. I went to study one up close for the first time last weekend. It's got a lot of plastic on it! It also rides much higher than the VN 750. Most significant, it doesn't have the Vulcan's ooomph. (Well, the 1300 cc version does...) All the reviews I've read say that the 700 (well, almost 700) is a solid (if boring) commuter. Apparently, it's been very popular in Europe.
Hehehe! Solid and boring -- that's me! Guess I better go ahead and buy one....

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
On the Camry. hang in there. I have 335,000 on my Corolla ,it still runs like an Elgin watch.
Funny I work for Toyota in the town of Elgin where the watch was made.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts