Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FYI Saddlemen still makes seats for our bikes. http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=513_572

Out of shear curiosity I called them (800) 397-7709 and spoke with an extremely helpful guy named Jerry. Even though their site lists no seats for the VN7xx they still have pattern and can make seats for our bikes. Jerry said they have the seat plans for 1985-thru the late 90's, but I bet they fit all VN750s up to 2006 unless Kawasaki made some change to our bikes that I don't know about.

According to Jerry all Saddlemen seats come with their Saddlegel™ Comfort Pads built in. They have three styles of seats and four or five different tank chaps for us too.

Desperado seat K371-FJ $279.95
Lowboy seat K379-FJ $315.95
Explorer seat K371-FJ $379.95 http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=6037

If you modified your stock seatpan for your custom Vulcan you can send them the seatpan and they can cover it for you (including foam and gel insert) in the $400 range.

Jerry was super friendly and knowledgeable, he can be reached at extension 202 or he said to speak with Richard too.

From their site:
"All Saddlemen seats are proudly made in the U.S.A.

Most seats ordered directly from Saddlemen are made to order at time of purchase at our California factory. Lead times can vary seasonally - please contact us for current turnaround estimates. "

If any one has any experience with Saddlemen seats please feel free to post your reviews! -Sloppy

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey that's good to know....prices are within reason too. I've heard that Saddlemens are good seats.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Thanks man! I will consider them on my next vulcan!

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
When I got my V-Star 650, it came with a Corbin, which I HATED! Thing was hard as a rock. I bought a Saddleman seat and right out of the box it was comfy as all get out. And CHEAPER than a Mustang or Corbin to boot!

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I put the saddleman seat on my bike. There was a loooong wait to get it because they only make it once you order. Once it came it was great though! It puts down about an inch and back maybe 2. I could ride all day on that thing. I posted a review here a while ago once I got it. You should be able to look it up. The girl I was seeing at the time was happy with the pillion too. They're pricey but there really well made. They even make the bike look better overall.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you modified your stock seatpan for your custom Vulcan you can send them the seatpan and they can cover it for you (including foam and gel insert) in the $400 range.

Jerry was super friendly and knowledgeable, he can be reached at extension 202 or he said to speak with Richard too.
Sloppy,
I'm confused....do you need to supply the seat pan?

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Nope.

Ok, let me rephrase that… If you choose to send them any seatpan they can also cover it for you.

I specifically was thinking about modifying my own seatpan and asked if they could cover it afterwards. (Yes they can.)

They sell complete seats, they don't need your stock seat to make you a new seat. Buying their seat new is also cheaper than sending them an old seatpan to be recovered.

-Sloppy

·
Registered
686 Posts
Nope.

Ok, let me rephrase that… If you choose to send them any seatpan they can also cover it for you.

I specifically was thinking about modifying my own seatpan and asked if they could cover it afterwards. (Yes they can.)

They sell complete seats, they don't need your stock seat to make you a new seat. Buying their seat new is also cheaper than sending them an old seatpan to be recovered.

-Sloppy
Thanks for the clarification

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I just ordered the explorer classic from Ron Ayers...... $308
$71 off list price. Oh, I called Saddleman and they told me they are running at a 7 to 10 day lead time on seats right now.

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dariv, that's awesome! Let us know how you like it, how it feels after riding a few hours with it, how it fits and looks etc.

Thanks -Sloppy

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
called ronayers.com today to see what the status of my order was. They said it was discontinued. I told them that it can be ordered directly from Saddleman, and was told that they(ronayers.com) get their parts from 'parts unlimited' and they can't get it anymore, so I'm going to get a refund.
I called Saddleman directly with my tale of woe and asked if they would match the ronayers price..... no dice. They wouldn't budge $.01 on it. The sales guy said it would be $379 + $60 to ship.....and a 4 week lead time because they have to order parts to build it. I told him I had $350 to spend on a seat, and he said "you should check ebay. You might be able to find a used seat that fits into your budget." Well, that was the end of that phone call. Oh, .....and I still have to wait another 3 to 5 days to get my $$$ back from ronayers.com
Total Bummer..............

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW :wow: that is total suckage.

-Sloppy

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Update:
Talked to Dan at One Stop Moto 1-866-799-6686 and ordered the KN71 from them. They deal directly with saddlemen (their shops are near each other) and he can get this seat for $339.95 plus shipping. My total cost was $360 with a 10 to 14 day turn around. I'll keep my fingers crossed........

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Got the seat today..... looks really well made. The seat doesn't seem long enough. If you push it all the way forward, there is about a half inch gap at the rear. Also, the back is more straight up and down than the stock seat, so the pan has to flex slightly when you put the bolts in it to close the gap at the top. I had to lengthen the mounting slots on the bike about 1/8" up more to gets the bolts to line up right. Other than it not being a perfect fit, the seat went on quickly. First impression, the seat is taller..... maybe an inch.... I am definitely going to lower the bike at this point. The feel is firmer as well. I haven't taken it out yet, so I'll have to write the ride later. Here are some pics...
New Seat

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks comfy, not sure about the fringe though. -Sloppy

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
The fringe is held on with velcro, so it comes right off..... I'll probably get rid of it.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
So...how do these compare, comfort and pain-wise, to the Mustang?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts