Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a pair of saddlebags. I don't want to have to modify or relocate the turn signals yet.. what bags will fit my '99 vn750? I am looking for 'cheap' ideas that still look good. eventually I will get a set of hard bags, but I am thinking of repainting, restoring the bike over the next two off seasons if money allows. I want to re chrome and repaint everything, with a possible engine refinish. What dimensions should work for the bags? thanks. Also, do I need the saddle bag supports?

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
For most bags that are a reasonable size a relocation of the turn signals will be in order.

You of course know my vote on bags (ammo cans).

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
I have the TourMaster Nylon Cruiser II Slant Bags, size medium. My only complaint is that they're a bit small (I'm thinking about sizing up to large), but I'm rarely carrying a lot of gear in them. I do not have bag supports ~ there's a nice foam cushion on the inside of the bag which protects the finish of the bike. I put the yoke over the frame/under the seat, and secure the front of the bag (with the supplied strap) to the passenger foot peg frame. No adjustments to the bike are necessary.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you think the large ones would fit? I mainly and looking for a set that I can put my jacket in when I go to the beach, or somewhere I don't want to carry my jacket... Or like when I go to church and need to store my chaps, haha... I am looking to relocation though... It might work out...

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I might go this route if I find some lights to bolt into it...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Most shops that sell them can fit them to your bike to see if any mods are needed. Biker rags here in K-town does just that so you leave happy. just take the bike with you when shopping around.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
I didn't relocate my signals and my bags sit just fine. I have pictures of them in my gallery. And they were cheap too, still can bring home 2 gallons of milk and still have room for a change of clothes.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6068

We'll see if this link works... still figuring all this out lol

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think I am going to buy the Kawasaki saddlebag supports- they come with relocation kit... still looking for cheaper though

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you think these saddlebags will fit? I just wanna know if anyone has similar sized bags and if I will need the T/S relocation and support brackets... they are in my price range... and for supports? any ideas? I was looking at the Kawasaki ones, but if I can find cheaper...

HERE

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I got some that came with the bike when I bought it. They have a tag that says on them (Willie and Max) made in the USA by Pinsley Manufacturing Co. They are not made from leather. They are pleather. They fit well and the shock keeps them in place. Very likely a 100$ job.

I do not have those that you are looking at there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also have a set of "Willie & Max" bags on my bike. They were given to me so I haven't a clue on the cost. They are the kind that has the strap over the passenger seat.And they fit ncely in front of the turn signals, and require no support. They've worked VERY well for me. I can even fit a twelve pack in each one if needed. Sorry I don't have any pctures though. I'll see what I can find.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Hehe... I can fit 2 12 packs in mine (3 if I take the cans out of the third)... each... and have a bit of room to spare...
And the width of the bags is a little less than the handlebars so I didn't change the width of the bike.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i looked at the willie and max bags.. I like them and the sizes are what I am looking for.. I just gotta figure out with ones nad if I wanna go with their hard mount of with other guards... so many choices but I only need one set of saddlebags! haha thanks.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
When I had the stock seat, I had mine under the seat. I did not need any brackets to hold them from the wheel. Aprox. demensions 13Lx11Hx6W.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I came across a deal I couldn't resist... they might be too big 17x11x8, but I won't know until I try them... $36 shipped.. if I can't get them to fit? I'll put em back up for sale. If I get them to work, I'll put in a bottom and sides to re enforce em...

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Look good, especially for the price. I'm guessing that it'll take some creativity (and probably a TS relocate) to make em fit (they're close to the size of my ammo can bags).

If you have problems making em fit and don't mind mounting em permanent (or semi permanent) take a look at my photos page and how I mounted the cans - Basically a spacer (socket sized) and longer bolts through each of the grab bar holes (4 total) hold the primary support. Hell, you could probably figure out an attractive way to do it (with wing nuts/ acorn nuts?) in such a way that you could easily remove the bags...

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, I have thought of using reinforcing sides inside, then using a hook style mount if I can rig that up.. I've got a few ideas and I will let you know what I do.. they are getting shipped today, so I am hoping to have em by tuesday...

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
those bags were cheap and poor quality stitching and such, IMO.. so they are listed back on ebay.. I think i will finish making my supports, and then buy the 16" x 11" x 6.5" willie and max when I can get the money-- seems like everyone likes them.. I am thinking the large raptors or the large slants.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I missed this thread until now. I've got some Willie and Max compact slants on my bike. I don't know how much they cost because they were on the bike when I got it. They were installed without saddle bag supports and worked ok, but they sort of tilted toward the wheel in the back. I bought some brackets off of ebay, there's a guy that makes them and I think he sells them for ~$49 (they were less when I bought mine). They don't have the signal relocation set up and you have to remove the helmet locks but I like mine. I relocated the helmet locks to the front of the bike so that wasn't a problem for me.

Here's a shot of how the brackets mount to the bike.

The small willie and max bags are small enough where you can hang them low and stay away from the rear signal and still not get into the exhaust. The helmet lock is located on the frame cover on the front of the bike just above the reflector (I put one on each side).

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I have the W&M large slants, but think they are an older version.
They fit the bike fine without brackets, but after a couple years I decided to make a set when I went with a set of nylon bags.
In this pic, I have the W&M ones mounted as throw overs with no signal relocation needed....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts