Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a set of saddlebags without moving the directional lights?

If so, did you still need support brackets? What was the brand and model name of the saddlebags?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Has anyone installed a set of saddlebags without moving the directional lights?

If so, did you still need support brackets? What was the brand and model name of the saddlebags?

Thanks
Yes I have, on my 2002. I did not have to move the tailights and do not need supports. I had them on my Nighthawk but don't know the brand. They are 14" wide by 5" deep by 10 " high. The only modification I had to do was cut down the flaps that are laced together under the seat. I had an overlap on the flaps which made it too thick for the seat to go all the way down and the trunk screw holes would not line up. I cut the flaps back on both sides and used 1/4 " good line to lace the bags together. Seat fits fine now.:smiley_th
Jim

·
Registered
659 Posts
Here is a cheap/easy suggestion. I never used saddle bags on my 750 for this reason. When my buddy started riding it a few years ago he needed bags so he took a set of leather throw-over style bags and just cut a hole in the throw-over part on each side for the signal stems to go through. He made the hole diamond shaped, which looked pretty good, and used a black marker to color the raw leather on the edge of the cut black. Ended up looking and working great. He never used brackets. Rode about 10000 miles that way. Sorry I don't have any pics I can put up.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Here is a cheap/easy suggestion. I never used saddle bags on my 750 for this reason. When my buddy started riding it a few years ago he needed bags so he took a set of leather throw-over style bags and just cut a hole in the throw-over part on each side for the signal stems to go through. He made the hole diamond shaped, which looked pretty good, and used a black marker to color the raw leather on the edge of the cut black. Ended up looking and working great. He never used brackets. Rode about 10000 miles that way. Sorry I don't have any pics I can put up.
I have seen similar setups and they look good. I only put the bags on the bike when taking longer trips, I don't like the looks of bags, but the main thing that bugs me is you lose the use of the helmet locks with bags on.
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts