Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going on a long trip this coming weekend, and it would be nice to use a pair of throw-over soft saddlebags.

Here's my problem: I do not have saddlebag supports. (I've been meaning to install stock Kaw supports, but haven't gotten around to it yet.)

I know that using saddlebags without the underlying supports can possibly be: 1) dangerous (e.g. the bag getting caught in a moving part), and/or 2) costly (e.g. the bag melting on a hot exhaust pipe).

Unless someone can tell me how I can use throw-over bags in a safe/smart way without supports, I will get by this time with the usual (secured tail bag on passenger seat, duffle bungeed on the back rack, tank bag, backpack). I don't want to experiment on a road trip!

One alternative I have been thinking about: throwing the saddle bags over the TOP of the passenger seat (and under a secured tail bag).

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have mine mounted without supports.the tie down is attached to the passenger footpeg brackets,and the yoke under the seat.they don't rub on any moving parts and clearence for the exhaust.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I usually put my Willie & Max bags over the seat, and I didn't have supports for them and they worked fine. The only thing that held them on were two small bungee straps.... they were under the seat.
In this pic (Willie & Max bags) you can see how close they were to the exhaust, and I never had any troubles.
(W&M bags are synth leather)

They kinda look like they're just about touching the exhaust, but there's about two or three inches between them.

And the attached pic is just another view.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the River Road slants. They go under the seat the shocks keep them away from everything. They hold a good amount of gear also. I have had them on for over a year and the heat from the exhaust doesn’t seem to affect it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have a set of textile throwover bags that I use with no supports. They ride just fine.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Before I put on my supports, my bags were under the seat. They have three tie points on them which I secured to the frame and helmet locks. The shocks kept them away from the tire. After a long while, the shocks started wearing on the sides of the bags. If you are using them for the weekend, it shouldn't be a problem.
If you already have the supports, it should take about 1 - 1 1/2 hours to put them on and makes sure everything works. Instead of hard mounting the bags per the instructions, I still use mine as throw overs. Makes it easier for cleaning and winter storage.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have some nylon/cordura soft saddle bags that I used until recently. They have a small D-ring on the front end that I tied to the frame just behind the side cover to keep them from billowing out in the wind. That and being under the seat secured them just fine. Riding against the shock didn't seem to hurt anything. They sagged bad when empty but never touched the exhaust or at least didn't melt.. The first few times I checked they didn't even get hot.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
on my way

I purchased a pair of TourMaster Nylon Cruiser II Saddlebags. I secured the yoke under the seat. Using thin nylon rope and a square knot, I tied the front of each bag to the hole in the passenger footpeg bracket to keep them from flapping. I then did a test run (with bags empty) for around 40 miles, and everything looked great.

I've packed the magnetic tank bag, tail bag (bungeed on the passenger seat), and a small duffle secured to the back rack with a bungee net... I'm good to go! The bike feels heavy ~ will need to be cautious as I get used to the difference.

I'll be riding around 1,000 miles, round trip, between SW Ohio and the U.P. of Michigan. I'll take photos and post when I return.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have a great trip Charlie. Let us know how it was when you get back. Be safe

·
Registered
185 Posts
I like those bags, and I like the price compared to other bags. :smiley_th

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
For all of you with saddlebags put on without the brackets ... how do you keep them from blocking the helmet locks and/or the foot pegs?

I just got a pair of River Road Large Slant Windswept saddlebags from DollarRider.com, where they listed it as fitting the VN750 (actually that it fit "all" cruisers). I took off my seat and tried putting the throw-over belt in various locations. If I put it all the way back (where the passenger pillion is) then the bags blocked my helmet locks. If I put it all the way in front (under my seat) then it blocked the foot pegs and seemed like it would brush forward against my calves while riding.

I ended up mounting them truly slanted -- diagonally tilted -- which looks rather weird. The throw-over belt is a bit tucked under the helmet locks and are tilted at about a 15 degree angle, which leaves them just clear of the passenger foot pegs.

I don't actually ever ride with a passenger, but I do feel like it should not be the case that I have to choose between having luggage or a passenger at some point!

My other conclusion is that perhaps these bags are too big for the VN750?

·
Registered
476 Posts
For me they stay clear of the rear pegs but they do block the helmet locks. Even with the supports my bags would still be in the way.

My next project is to move the locks up to the pillian. That'll solve evetything for me :smiley_th

·
Registered
387 Posts
The Kawasaki supports moves the helmet locks to the back of the bike and relocate the turn signals further back. A little pricy, but works well.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
You know, by unlacing the throw-over belt and retying it two holes wider (making the belt separating the bags longer), I find that I can have them resting just at the level above the exhaust pipes while leaving my helmet locks juuust exposed enough that I can use them. Which is all I'm looking for at the moment.

The Kawasaki supports moves the helmet locks to the back of the bike and relocate the turn signals further back. A little pricy, but works well.
You mean these Kawasaki F&S saddlebag supports? The picture doesn't show any new turn signals or helmet locks, but at least one comment does mention it. At $160 that's pretty steep though. I'll save up or keep an eye out for them on eBay/craiglist.

I assume there's no reason these saddlebag supports would be incompatible with a Mustang saddle?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yep. Those are it, but I ordered mine from the stealership. I think I paid 140.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts