Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

saddlebag supports

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  hgree 
#1 ·
Hey ya'all,
Is Kawasaki the only place to buy the saddlebag supports for the 750? Can’t seem to find them anywhere. Also I notice you have to move the signal lights back on the brackets. There's a nice pair of saddlebags that detach via a zipper on each side, does anyone know what brand they are & where they can be ordered? Thanks for all the great feedback on all the questions everyone has!

VidKid

#2 ·
AFAIK Mama Kaw is the only place to buy the whole kit (with or without kaboodle!) that includes the brackets and the reloc kit.

Support Bracket Options:
  1. "xvfinishes" on Ebay (do a seller search) markets some for another bike (Suzuki I think) but they will fit ours with a little tweak. He also advertises though that he will make them to your specs (width, depth) for no extra charge. They are powder coated but you can order them without the coating. Cost is only $25.
  2. Highway Hawks makes some for about $50. They are chromed steel. http://ssl.webhouse.es/WebCommerce/Sistema/100000/infoproducto.asp?MiTienda=100420&MiIdioma=EN&CodProdLT=173451 Off hand I don't think I know anyone who has these.
  3. There's a seller in Germany who puts some on Ebay from time to time. These may be HH but I don't know. A couple of members have bought these. IIRC the had issues getting the bolt holes to line up. Seems like I remember one person returned theirs, the other made it fit.
TS Reloc options
  1. Several folks have moved the stock TS to the tail light housing, getting them well out of the way of the bags. Looks pretty good.
  2. Many folks have just lived with the TS being slightly in the way of opening the bags.
  3. Several have ditched the stock TS and gotten various aftermarket sets that thay have mounted out of the way of the bags (license plate bracket is a popular option.
  4. At least one of us (me! ) fabbed his own from some aluminum bar. At it's essence it's just an L-shaped bracket (I can post specs if you really need them). Tricky part is the odd-shaped hole for the turn-and-lock on teh TS stem but a little Dremel work gets the job done. The KAW version has some chrome (or billet) plate on top to hide the wires. Metric Custom Creations made me some stainless steel 'boxes' to duplicate that but they could function without it.
Finally, if you do go with the KAW set, www.ronayers.com or www.rongreenemotorsports.com have the best prices (better certainly than Kaw!)

Hope this helps

#3 ·
UncleGomer said:
AFAIK Mama Kaw is the only place to buy the whole kit (with or without kaboodle!) that includes the brackets and the reloc kit.

Support Bracket Options:
  1. "xvfinishes" on Ebay (do a seller search) markets some for another bike (Suzuki I think) but they will fit ours with a little tweak. He also advertises though that he will make them to your specs (width, depth) for no extra charge. They are powder coated but you can order them without the coating. Cost is only $25.
<Snip>
What kind of "tweaking"? Thanks

#4 ·
Grambo is the one that has these. I think he may have had to bend them just slightly to match up with the bolts. Here's his correspondence with the seller:

Would I be able to bend them a bit to fit (match the bolt spacing in my grabrails) without damaging the paint? That is, will the paint flex a bit at the turns?

Powder coating is very durable and should be fine unless you extremely bent it. The pieces of wire I use to hang then coat them can be twisted up like a knot before it starts to "crack" but only from the metal
stretching does it give. Both the large and medium/small are the same "length". The length is 11 3/4" $ 9 1/2" for the two "legs" and the large ones are about 8 " wide at the bottom and the medium/small are 5" wide at the bottom. Both are really the same just one is wider for them
large hard bags.

#6 ·
Hey all. Well for some time you guys were using my medium/small Virago set for the Vulcan. Its was tweak-able. But recently I made a master set just for the Vulcan. using the bolt hole spacing provided to me. Not much different but easier on you.

Though I still have no idea how much work it takes to bolt a set on.
Have sold 20 or so for the VN with lots of praise.

But I have been asked questions I can not answer.
"Do you need longer bolts or will stock hardware work."
"Do they bolt on to the out or inside of the bike."
"Do you have and directioins."

The bolt holes size is another question. The Virago ones had one hole larger. and you can still see that on the auction page.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4516249904&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I just wonder if the VN needs that or should I make them even.

I am a fan of cheap affordable parts. Anything I can make cheap and sell cheap that you need, plz let me know. Its all about the bikes. I also do powder and ceramic coating at reasonable prices.

Still running a special.
Parts coated in mirror or matte black powder.
The powder is free.
Just pay labor and shipping.

#8 ·
I am no longer selling parts to the Vulcan list.
I am out $75-$80 and I am not selling / giving away any more parts to the Vulcan list.

Richard A Lunn
645 103rd Ave North
Naples, FL
United States
dicklunn@earthlink.net

filed complaint that parts were never received 2 days after tracking showed they had arrived.
Then claimed parts did not fit. Made and sent new parts, per his specs. He paid me a 2nd time. I told paypal to refund the original payment and have proof of refund. He then claims he never got the first payment back and now wants to 2nd back too. Ignores proof of refund.

Thomas Batchelor
5611 - 35th Court East
Bradenton, FL 34203
United States
tbatchel@tampabay.rr.com

Told there was a wait. Auction page says 7-10 day to ship.
Item bought April 30th, March 9 he files that the item never arrived he wants his money back. I was away for the holiday and could not answer Email. Parts shipped March 11, on time.

I'm done.
I have yet to have even a close to similar problem with any other
bike owners.

Sales@XVFinishes.com

#10 ·
It's to bad that two bad apples have spoiled the bunch for you. I'm surprised that you have had no other problem with any other group of bike owners. Having owned a vulcan for a few years now, and having been in this group for a while, I can't understand how you could lump us all together. That's very sad.
Ride Safe
Wayne

#11 ·
I just did a quick check.. neither of those names show up in this forum or the VN750 group at yahoo.
It's a shame that 2 people give 1500+ others a bad rep. It's too bad because I have reccommended your supports on the boards several times.

#12 ·
The bags you might be refering to are Willy and Max. They added the zip-off feature to their 2005 bags. I just purchased a set of standard slants (SB700), and the Willy and Max saddlebag hard mount kit.
Both available at Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse (mawonline.com). Think I spent @ 125 bucks for both. Also...turn signal relocation NOT required.

Good luck with your quest.

Chic Bumgarner (glydrgydr)
Sumner, WA
VROC #14560
'04 VN750 "Windsong"
Westco MF battery & float charger connector
Digital voltmeter/temperature/clock
chrome wide levers
Memphis Shades "Demon" windshield
Chrome ride bell (thanks, Dianna)

#14 ·
The hard mount kit comes with fasterers & fender (large) washers. After the mounts are in place on the bike, simply place the bag where you want it to be mounted (AFTER zipping off the yoke), locate where the fastener holes line up, then drill or punch holes thru the back of the bags. Use a fender washer on inside & outside of the bag, and bolt thru.

Or...hang the bags from the yokes (under the seat) and use the hard mounts as supports to keep the bags out of the wheels.

Hope that clarifies.

BTW, mine are not mounted yet, using a "wet" week to relocate my R/R, hope to have bags on whe I button everything back up.

Chic Bumgarner (glydrgydr)
Sumner, WA
VROC #14560
'04 VN750 "Windsong"
Westco MF battery & float charger connector
Digital voltmeter/temperature/clock
chrome wide levers
Memphis Shades "Demon" windshield
Chrome ride bell (thanks, Dianna)
:wink:

#15 ·
XVFinishes said:
I am no longer selling parts to the Vulcan list.
I am out $75-$80 and I am not selling / giving away any more parts to the Vulcan list.

Richard A Lunn
645 103rd Ave North
Naples, FL
United States
dicklunn@earthlink.net

filed complaint that parts were never received 2 days after tracking showed they had arrived.
Then claimed parts did not fit. Made and sent new parts, per his specs. He paid me a 2nd time. I told paypal to refund the original payment and have proof of refund. He then claims he never got the first payment back and now wants to 2nd back too. Ignores proof of refund.

Thomas Batchelor
5611 - 35th Court East
Bradenton, FL 34203
United States
tbatchel@tampabay.rr.com

Told there was a wait. Auction page says 7-10 day to ship.
Item bought April 30th, March 9 he files that the item never arrived he wants his money back. I was away for the holiday and could not answer Email. Parts shipped March 11, on time.

I'm done.
I have yet to have even a close to similar problem with any other
bike owners.

Sales@XVFinishes.com
Perhaps these 2 scums never intended to pay you in first place. I'm sure they got what they ordered, they just claim that they didn't get it. They probably do the same to Wal*Mart and most places that they buy from. Don't put us all in the same catagory as those two,,, 99.999% of us are honest hard working folks. If you decide to reconsider and sell to Vulcan owners, request a " signed delivery confirmation", that way there is no doubt when a product is delivered.

#16 ·
Arizona motorsports also carries them for $115 and change... BUT they are EXTREMELY SLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.