Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm posting this in General Discussion because I think it's an important issue that all riders should pay attention to...

About a week ago I noticed a spiderweb had appeared between the right-side saddlebag and the fender. I grabbed a broom, swept it away and thought nothing more of it.

It reappeared the next day, and again I removed it.

It reappeared pretty much every day since, and I felt more annoyed than anything. I went for a ride today and a friend that had ridden behind me said that one of my bags was sitting a little lower than the other. Got home and decided to straighten them out, which required removing the seat.

Saw that spiderweb again and decided to be cautious. Around these parts we see all kinds of spiders, but the dreaded Brown Recluse is generally considered to be one of the worst. So, I loosened the seat, flipped it over and saw this:

Arthropod Insect Spider Terrestrial animal Arachnid

Of course, I had to grab a picture because that's what one does when confronted with mortal danger. I ran inside and grabbed a pair of tweezers, rubbing alcohol, and a little plastic tupperware.

And here's the money shot:

Eye Insect Arthropod Spider Widow spider

I assume most of you are familiar with the western Black Widow (latrodectus hesperus), but if you aren't this is one creepy little spider.

They're actually quite common around here, but I haven't seen one in years.

EDIT-Extra pic for scale:
Eye Insect Arthropod Organism Beetle

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Ohhh.

When I was a kid I leaned back on a creek bank and got bit, pretty sure the fang marks were from a spider. Next day I was sick as hell and pretty much unconscious for a week. Came out white as a sheet and twenty pounds lighter.

Every Spring I find some kind of tiny round nuts chewed up in the pockets of my saddlebags. Don't have any idea what they are, but hopefully nothing else gets chewed up.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Thankfully they’re not common here in the city, I have however had an American cockroach hitch a ride before. The spiders here like trucks, they seem to wait until you drive away and crawl out of the A/C vents once you get going.

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dude at the auto parts store was shuffling old batteries around and grabbed a brown recluse, his whole arm swelled up quickly.
When I went through basic training at Fort Benning, Ga., one guy got bit by a Brown Recluse. For some reason, he thought he'd get in trouble, or be perceived as a p***y if he said something, so he kept it secret for almost a week.

He got crazy sick, like shaking, sweating and where he got bitten (on his calf) it looked like a crater had been carved out of him. I won't describe it in detail, but it was absolutely gruesome.
They sent him off to medical, and he came back a day later. He had to have help to flush the wound and change the bandage twice a day. He was stuck in bed for over a week. I remember they gave him some sort of medicine (antibiotic?), and those pills were HUGE.

He said that the doctor told him if he'd have waited a few more days, they would have had no choice but to remove his calf muscle!!! He ended up getting recycled back through basic, and from what I remember, made a full recovery.

Those Brown Recluses are no joke. I'd rather get bit by the Black Widow...

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohhh.

When I was a kid I leaned back on a creek bank and got bit, pretty sure the fang marks were from a spider. Next day I was sick as hell and pretty much unconscious for a week. Came out white as a sheet and twenty pounds lighter.

Every Spring I find some kind of tiny round nuts chewed up in the pockets of my saddlebags. Don't have any idea what they are, but hopefully nothing else gets chewed up.
Those sound like pine nuts, and if so, that's the work of a chipmunk.

·
Super Moderator
12,378 Posts
My FJR had separate passenger and pilot seats. You could use your key to unlock and remove the passenger seat to reveal a nice plastic tray one could use to store tools, and the tail piece had a generous cubby to store even more.
One winter I discovered a family of mice mowed into that cubby. Little bastards chewed up the rubber strap that held down a socket set I stored there. A few well placed traps, and help from a resident copperhead ended to mouse problem.
Someone had suggested covering the bike and putting an open can of moth balls under the bike.been doing that for years and have had no other infestations, by mice or bugs.
I also read spiders hate the smell of peppermint, so you can spray peppermint oil on places they might occupy and they’ll move on.

Living in the country gives us the whole gam-met of wildlife… bugs, spiders, chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons, etc.

it’s fairly common to find mice making a home in air filter boxes, and spiders under seats or the space between the fairing and the bike. I’d hate to think of sucking a mouse into the engine…..😂

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My FJR had separate passenger and pilot seats. You could use your key to unlock and remove the passenger seat to reveal a nice plastic tray one could use to store tools, and the tail piece had a generous cubby to store even more.
One winter I discovered a family of mice mowed into that cubby. Little bastards chewed up the rubber strap that held down a socket set I stored there. A few well placed traps, and help from a resident copperhead ended to mouse problem.
Someone had suggested covering the bike and putting an open can of moth balls under the bike.been doing that for years and have had no other infestations, by mice or bugs.
I also read spiders hate the smell of peppermint, so you can spray peppermint oil on places they might occupy and they’ll move on.

Living in the country gives us the whole gam-met of wildlife… bugs, spiders, chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons, etc.
I think you meant "gamut", but that's unimportant... Yep, there's all kinds of creepy-crawlies in the mountains. I've long heard there are rattlesnakes in western NC, but I've not yet encountered one, and have no desire to do so.

I like the moth ball and peppermint idea. Until my "shed" is built, I'll have to store the bike either in a storage unit, or cover it up securely this winter. Whichever, I'll be sure to add both of those things to the shopping list. Speaking of, what do you recommend for winter storage? I may have no choice but to store Eleanor outside. I have a bike cover, but it's kind of wearing out. Any tips appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
12,378 Posts
Well, a new cover would be a start. I found a pretty nice one at Walmart for $40. As my
motorcycle gets to be the only vehicle we own that gets a spot in our 3 bay garage, I just cover it with a cotton sheet, if it’s outside, the plastic bike cover.
You can also just buy a large tarp and build yourself a “pup tent” to cover the bike (still using a bike cover inside it)
If you can put some paving stones under the bike so it’s not sitting on bare ground , that be real good.
A friend did the pup tent thing and it was tall enough to walk under, he built basically an A frame out of wood, used a length of pipe across the top for the tarp, and even had a door at both ends.Did a good job of keeping snow off the bike.

oh, the gam-met thing was just spell correct.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I got lucky and found a new custom Vulcan cover for $7 on eBay, has the VN logo, with zip out pockets for the extended backrest and windshield.

One thing to consider when covering, is ventilation. You don't want condensation collecting under the cover. But mine is rusting just sitting covered in the garage.

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, a new cover would be a start. I found a pretty nice one at Walmart for $40. As my
motorcycle gets to be the only vehicle we own that gets a spot in our 3 bay garage, I just cover it with a cotton sheet, if it’s outside, the plastic bike cover.
You can also just buy a large tarp and build yourself a “pup tent” to cover the bike (still using a bike cover inside it)
If you can put some paving stones under the bike so it’s not sitting on bare ground , that be real good.
A friend did the pup tent thing and it was tall enough to walk under, he built basically an A frame out of wood, used a length of pipe across the top for the tarp, and even had a door at both ends.Did a good job of keeping snow off the bike.

oh, the gam-met thing was just spell correct.
I hate that autocorrect crap. Most of the time, when I'm posting here I'm on my laptop, so I don't have to worry about autocorrect. (Well, I disabled it in Firefox...)

But if I post here on the phone, I'm constantly having to delete stuff that autocorrect insists on suggesting. I should disable it, but it comes in handy for not sending foul language to people like my mother.

Great idea about the tarp. I heard that one can build a really neat tent-thing out of PVC, but I haven't actually seen this done. You?

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got lucky and found a new custom Vulcan cover for $7 on eBay, has the VN logo, with zip out pockets for the extended backrest and windshield.

One thing to consider when covering, is ventilation. You don't want condensation collecting under the cover. But mine is rusting just sitting covered in the garage.
Good point. I suppose if I can find a way to completely enclose the bike for the winter, I could stick a few boxes of moisture absorber in there.

·
Super Moderator
12,378 Posts
I hate that autocorrect crap. Most of the time, when I'm posting here I'm on my laptop, so I don't have to worry about autocorrect. (Well, I disabled it in Firefox...)

But if I post here on the phone, I'm constantly having to delete stuff that autocorrect insists on suggesting. I should disable it, but it comes in handy for not sending foul language to people like my mother.

Great idea about the tarp. I heard that one can build a really neat tent-thing out of PVC, but I haven't actually seen this done. You?
Not completely out of PVC, just the top bar. The rest was treated wood. The reason being it was simpler to form and that the edges of the tarp could be screwed down flat against it.
They used a 10 X 20 foot heavy duty tarp, so it ended being 10 feet long and a bit under 10 feet tall.
I could draw you a rough picture on how was it was put together if you like..

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not completely out of PVC, just the top bar. The rest was treated wood. The reason being it was simpler to form and that the edges of the tarp could be screwed down flat against it.
They used a 10 X 20 foot heavy duty tarp, so it ended being 10 feet long and a bit under 10 feet tall.
I could draw you a rough picture on how was it was put together if you like..
Yeah, that would be great!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,554 Posts
Along came a spider...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,554 Posts
Reactions: Spockster
1 - 17 of 17 Posts