Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2006 vn750.

I have been looking at some saddlebags (online) and trying to learn. So far - from what I can tell - the turn signals will have to be moved further back to use bags. Is that correct?

Also - I see some bags require some type of frame to be mounted and some have the 'flap that goes under the seat I guess to connect the two. Or maybe all of them require frames (like I wrote - still learning).

I apologize for asking as I'm sure both of these have been asked before - but sometimes its exhausting searching through all the threads.

Thanks

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

I have been looking at some saddlebags (online) and trying to learn. So far - from what I can tell - the turn signals will have to be moved further back to use bags. Is that correct?

Also - I see some bags require some type of frame to be mounted and some have the 'flap that goes under the seat I guess to connect the two. Or maybe all of them require frames (like I wrote - still learning).

I apologize for asking as I'm sure both of these have been asked before - but sometimes its exhausting searching through all the threads.

Thanks

Jeff
If you get the smaller slanted bags you don't have to move the turn signals. You don't need support brackets either. Just lace them together under the seat.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick response JM2001!

dumb question - do the type that go under the seat pose any issues (security, fall off easily, etc)?

Can you recommend any (if you use them)?

Thanks again

Jeff

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts

Thanks

Jeff
Hi Jeff and welcome.

Are you wanting softbags or have you thought about hard bags at all. On mine,
I removed the original turn signals and put signals on the hard bags. That way if you decide later to take them off you can just reattach the originals. Just a thought. Mine are off (hopefully not permanently) because they need restoration. Ride safe and long
Dave.

Oh, don't feel you need to apologize. It's a fun place to talk about changes or upgrades you're planning to do to your bike, and a useful place when problems come up. You're not bothering anyone. Peace :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's an interesting idea about the bags also serving as the signals. I'll have to look for those to look at them.

Is that easy to do (remove the turn signals and make the connection on the hard bags)? I assume it's not.

Can you point me to a picture of those?

thanks again

·
1,100 Posts
That's an interesting idea about the bags also serving as the signals. I'll have to look for those to look at them.

Is that easy to do (remove the turn signals and make the connection on the hard bags)? I assume it's not.

thanks again
it's not that hard. If you look at my profile page you'll see them on the bike. My bags are by Shoei, and had a chrome (rust) cage around them that I quickly ripped of. They were beat to hell. Shoei's often have directionals built in but these were all busted up. 15 bucks got me new round signals that fit close enough that noone knew they weren't orig. Wiring them was just a matter of running 2 wires up to the connectors under the seat. I went a little further and put marker lights in the side that oscillated with the turn signals but that's not typical. So have a look at my V and also here's a link to some Shoei bags I found to give you an idea.http://forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=1926.0

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

thanks again
Welcome to the Vulcan madness.
Take a look at this link to see how sloppyburpfest put on hardbags with standoffs and signal relocation brackets.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9851

Mutazu hardbags:
http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=7&menu=Hard&product_id=10&s=prod.php
The LN and FY bags have lights on them and fit th vn750. They are narrower than the GA bags though.

·
Registered
802 Posts
As far as the slant bags go, they were fine on mine. Didn't move the turn signals, but the back part of the bag also didn't lift all the way up. Wasn't really any problem for me as I didn't carry a lot of stuff in them anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have leather bags and no brackets. They lay under the seat and are tight so don't need brackets. I also didn't need to relocate the turn signals. My bags are slanted and I don't use them unless traveling. Have fun

·
1,100 Posts
I have leather bags and no brackets. They lay under the seat and are tight so don't need brackets. I also didn't need to relocate the turn signals. My bags are slanted and I don't use them unless traveling. Have fun
I like the idea of that. Keep it lean and mean until you need to go some distance, then adapt as needed. :). What's the brand your using?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
X2 I only put them on for long trips.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Halsinki - what type of bags do you have?

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
I ride with medium Tour Master Cruiser III Nylon Slant Saddlebags (but only when I'm on long trips). These mediums (actually Cruiser IIs) are on the small side, but it's not necessary for me to move the tail lights or install brackets. I sling them under the seat, and attach the front straps to the passenger foot peg brackets. I've wondered if I could move up to the large size without making any mods...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts