Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a used 2003 VN750 and I bought saddle bag supports anticipating buying some saddle bags.

It looks like you need to remove the helmet locks, but it seems like the scew holding them on was secured with locktite (it's TIGHT). Any tricks to removing them? I don't want to bugger the screws or strip them, and I chose the best fitting screwdriver I had to get a good grip.

Will I need to get a relocation kit for the rear lights to fit bags on? If so, where can I get one?

I was thinking of buying them from leatherup, but the ones I saw from the forum were out of stock. Any suggestions for fairly large bags? I travel for work, most of it's too far to ride, but I might spend 2 days or so when I can ride down to places...

·
Registered
686 Posts
I just got a used 2003 VN750 and I bought saddle bag supports anticipating buying some saddle bags.

It looks like you need to remove the helmet locks, but it seems like the scew holding them on was secured with locktite (it's TIGHT). Any tricks to removing them? I don't want to bugger the screws or strip them, and I chose the best fitting screwdriver I had to get a good grip.

Will I need to get a relocation kit for the rear lights to fit bags on? If so, where can I get one?

I was thinking of buying them from leatherup, but the ones I saw from the forum were out of stock. Any suggestions for fairly large bags? I travel for work, most of it's too far to ride, but I might spend 2 days or so when I can ride down to places...
Welcome friend....

Those bolts are made of a soft metal. With some care, they will back out. Relocation kit can be found at RonAyers.com.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Those screws are really tough. I suspect that's why Kawasaki includes replacements for them in their saddlebag support kit (The one RonAyers carries). I wound up drilling mine. You might want to get your kit in to make sure nothing's changed before using that approach, though.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Hammer activated impact driver works like a charm.

Reactions: shark88

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I agree with the impact driver. I stripped mine with a cordless bit. Then drilled it out.

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
roamergrg,
Yeah u may have to get turn signal/helmet lock relocators, you can buy them, or you can make them yourself if you have access to to a machine shop. I am making my own, i have the steel i need and i am getting them made and having them nickel plated. Anyway, i can have them made and plated for less that $20.
Also check out the mutazu hard bags, great prices!
Peace

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I found that a phillips bit with a ratchet will give you enough leverage to take them out nice and easy. There are lots of ways to relocate the turn sigs ( I think I am going to mount mine on the brake light housing when I get around to moving them).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just as a side bar here, I have a pair of LeatherUP bags.

If your looking at that size / shape, I really didn't need to relocate or have the supports in the back at all. You do definitely lose your helmet locks though if you do that (I never use mine).

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
83 Posts
http://leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Saddlebags/Black-and-Gray-Braided-with-Eagle-Motorcycle-Saddlebags-By-Xelement/90978.html

You can check the height and width measurements against those bags and whatever ones your looking at. When i received them in the mail, I just had to open up the saddle a couple of holes and tie it all back up. On my '93 I was able to set them up pretty much centered on the shocks, and there stiff enough to that they don't go anywhere.

The tops of the bags are pretty close to the signals, but everything opens up nicely, you just have to pull it forward a little bit to get it around the light bucket.

In that position, I haven't had any problems with the heat from the exhaust either, but you always have to look at that and adjust depending on how yours is set up.

Thats what they look at from the top. You can see that they basically rest right underneath the signals, and they are on the smallish side as far as the way they look, but I'm very happy with them.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Saddlebags

I am looking at getting a pair of another brand. How big are those measurement wise? The Saddleman ones I am looking at come in three sizes. They rang from 13" L x 9 H" to 18" Lx 12" H. It looks like yours fit in there perfectly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! I got those exact bags yesterday.

Looks like you took off the seat and put the yoke underneath... bags zip off?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks! I got those exact bags yesterday.

Looks like you took off the seat and put the yoke underneath... bags zip off?
The bags themselves are attached to the yoke with some really hard core Velcro. I was a little sketched out at first when i saw that, but there really not going to go anywhere, lol.

As for when you put them on, yea, I just popped the seat off, lined it up nicely, and tied it off to the frame underneath in a couple of spots. I want to say that there's...probably 6-8 different hole position on the yoke, so you can raise/drop the bag position a pretty good amount.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am looking at getting a pair of another brand. How big are those measurement wise? The Saddleman ones I am looking at come in three sizes. They rang from 13" L x 9 H" to 18" Lx 12" H. It looks like yours fit in there perfectly.
14' Width X 11' Height X 6' Depth are what those bags are listed at.

In normal terms, it should probably read 14' long x 11' height x 6' wide. Although, Now that I'm sitting here at work with my tape measure, theres no way that there only 6 inches wide, there bigger then that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just removed mine from an '04. Use a Bernz-o-matic torch with the flame as small as possible and heat the threaded end for a few minutes. It will "melt" the loctite and you should be able to get the screws out. Just be careful to apply some good pressure to the screwdriver. The screws are kind of soft and you don't want to round them out. That's a nightmare.

·
Super Moderator
11,833 Posts
I got one off , but had to drill out the other one. Not a big deal really, as I never use them.
If I wanted to leave my helmet with the bike, I used a short cable lock passed through the frame and the visor opening on the helmet.
Now I have a tail case, so I just put me helmet in there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts