Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to see what's out there that you guys are using for soft sided-looking saddle bags that I could mount to my saddle bag brackets without using the throw over type. I've seen a few advertised with a pvc shell that look pretty good. I'm guessing I'll have to put holes through them to mount them?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I was looking to see what's out there that you guys are using for soft sided-looking saddle bags that I could mount to my saddle bag brackets without using the throw over type. I've seen a few advertised with a pvc shell that look pretty good. I'm guessing I'll have to put holes through them to mount them?
I have large PVC throw over bags with Zippered yokes. I like them a lot....they are waterproof, very roomy, and hold up nicely to weather.
I plan on taking off the yoke and hard mounting them to the supports like you said. It shouldn't be a problem at all since the inside has a hard plastic liner to keep the shape and the PVC material is thick and sturdy. a couple of bolt holes trough the material with maybe a strip of aluminum between the holes on the inside and outside should be more than enough to keep them solidly mounted.

These are very similar to the bags I have: LINK HERE

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I used large fender washers inside the bags and drilled holes through my plastic lined soft bags to attach to the bag supports. The saddlebag supports normally slide into the openings where the grab handles go which makes for a sturdy mount which makes for a solid way to mount the saddlebag supports unless... you are also using the grab bar bolts to mount a sissy bar like I'm doing. The sissy bar mounts hold the bag supports outside the holes which makes me a little nervous, that's a long bolt and I prefer things compact and tight for strength.. I've been running this system for a year now with no problems but I really should modify my sissy bar supports to allow the saddlebag supports to slide through them so that the bag mounts are about 3/4" closer to the grab rails. Something I meant to do last winter and this thread is reminding me that I need to git’ ‘r done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts