Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, would appreciate any information. I have an older pair of saddle bags that have a pair of short brackets. Over time these brackets have caused the bags to kind of curl under. They also pitch in a bit when riding. I believe the brackets are 8" top to bottom. I'm looking for a bracket the world fit my '99 750 and would set a bit lower so the bags won't curl under. The bags are 11.5" high. Or even some suggestions on some kind of modification to the existing brackets to lower them. Not afraid of modifications. Really don't want to buy new bags these are still in great shape. Firm leather, not hard shell.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Hey all, would appreciate any information. I have an older pair of saddle bags that have a pair of short brackets. Over time these brackets have caused the bags to kind of curl under. They also pitch in a bit when riding. I believe the brackets are 8" top to bottom. I'm looking for a bracket the world fit my '99 750 and would set a bit lower so the bags won't curl under. The bags are 11.5" high. Or even some suggestions on some kind of modification to the existing brackets to lower them. Not afraid of modifications. Really don't want to buy new bags these are still in great shape. Firm leather, not hard shell.
I once saw an article about using an inexpensive plastic cutting board connected to the back of leather bags to stiffen them a bit. Also the brackets connected to the "board" and therefore did not need to be any longer as the board carried the stiffness needed to avoid curling under and bad pitch. The plastic cutting board will accept paint easily and used as a backer board did not need to be the exact size of the bag plus it was light enough not to add too much weight. If you decide to go this route just look in the dollar stores for the largest and thinest board you can find. You can attach the board to the back of the back with the use of a few grommets with nylon nuts and bolts. Good luck.

Reactions: WilliamTech

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
And can use the cutting board at the campground by tipping the bike over on one side;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about doing something like this. Thanks for the input. I'll see what I can find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts