Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Saddle bag brackets?

5K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  fergy 
#1 ·
So i want to get a set of bags for the bike. Found a real nice set but they are a bit smaller than what Kawi sells through the catalogs. So the factory brackets would be hanging under them and looking a little lame. I was curious if anybody knew what is required of the brackets, I can get my dad to fabricate some he's fairly skilled in that field. But just want to know, how thick the part that screws to the bike is, screw size, if I have to get longer screws, etc. Any help is greatly apriciated and good kharma. =D

#2 ·
With small bags the brackets are not needed if the bags are throw over. You only need them for large bags or bags that attach to them. The shock will keep the smaller bags out of the tire. I have Willie and Max Large slant bags and did not put on that style bracket. Never hit the tire even at 80 mph. I made a bracket that just hold the top of the bag so they hung streight.
Hope this helps

#3 ·
You'all might get a kick out of this, but I fabbed my saddlebag guards out of 1/2" copper pipe. I got my bags a couple of days before I was leaving on a 3 day motorcycle trip and hadn't found the guards and in a pinch, I decided to make them. One of my buddies had made his from metal rod and I bought three sticks and measured and started bending the rod and was nearly done with the first one when it snapped on a bend. Halfway through the second rod, it snapped as well. Frustrated, I started brainstorming and just happened to see a 10' piece of copper pipe standing in the corner of my garage and the idea hit me. First I started trying to bend it unsuccessfully. Then I saw the bag of copper 90 degree elbows sitting on my bench and it all made sense. I measured each piece and started cutting the copper, with a pipe cutter. I fitted all the pieces together loosely and held it up to the bike, marking angles etc. until I had it in mind what I needed to do. I then took the two pieces that needed to mount to the frame, under the chrome bar, and flattened the ends with a hammer. When you hammer copper, it gets real hard! Then I drilled 3/8" holes in the flattened pipe where the backrest chrome side piece bolts would go through it. I measured everything one more time, eyeballing it next to the bike, using the saddlebags to see where it needed to hang. I marked each elbow and pipe where they came together with a permanent marker so that when I drilled them they would be lined up. Took it back into my shop and drilled 1/8" holes through the elbow and into the pipe, and used small sheet metal screws to screw it together. Then after it was finished and I made sure it matched up to the bolt holes on the bike, I simply wrapped the entire guard with good quality black electrical tape.

The hammered flat pieces fit up between the chrome piece and the bike frame and the bolts were long enough to go back through, no problem. It works, and seems strong enough to keep the bags level. I've loaded both bags down and it hasn't ever drooped. Like I said, I was in a pinch, but I'll leave them as long as it works. Cost was minimal. You can see the bags on the bike in the gallery. If someone wants closeups, I'll shoot some and post them... One mod to this might be to use a torch and solder the elbows on. I didn't have the torch or the solder so I decided to use the sheet metal screws.

#4 ·
fergy said:
You'all might get a kick out of this, but I fabbed my saddlebag guards out of 1/2" copper pipe. I got my bags a couple of days before I was leaving on a 3 day motorcycle trip and hadn't found the guards and in a pinch, I decided to make them. One of my buddies had made his from metal rod and I bought three sticks and measured and started bending the rod and was nearly done with the first one when it snapped on a bend. Halfway through the second rod, it snapped as well. Frustrated, I started brainstorming and just happened to see a 10' piece of copper pipe standing in the corner of my garage and the idea hit me. First I started trying to bend it unsuccessfully. Then I saw the bag of copper 90 degree elbows sitting on my bench and it all made sense. I measured each piece and started cutting the copper, with a pipe cutter. I fitted all the pieces together loosely and held it up to the bike, marking angles etc. until I had it in mind what I needed to do. I then took the two pieces that needed to mount to the frame, under the chrome bar, and flattened the ends with a hammer. When you hammer copper, it gets real hard! Then I drilled 3/8" holes in the flattened pipe where the backrest chrome side piece bolts would go through it. I measured everything one more time, eyeballing it next to the bike, using the saddlebags to see where it needed to hang. I marked each elbow and pipe where they came together with a permanent marker so that when I drilled them they would be lined up. Took it back into my shop and drilled 1/8" holes through the elbow and into the pipe, and used small sheet metal screws to screw it together. Then after it was finished and I made sure it matched up to the bolt holes on the bike, I simply wrapped the entire guard with good quality black electrical tape.

The hammered flat pieces fit up between the chrome piece and the bike frame and the bolts were long enough to go back through, no problem. It works, and seems strong enough to keep the bags level. I've loaded both bags down and it hasn't ever drooped. Like I said, I was in a pinch, but I'll leave them as long as it works. Cost was minimal. You can see the bags on the bike in the gallery. If someone wants closeups, I'll shoot some and post them... One mod to this might be to use a torch and solder the elbows on. I didn't have the torch or the solder so I decided to use the sheet metal screws.

Here in Texas, we call that true "Southern Inginuity" :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

#5 ·
fergy said:

Haha sweet! I was considering using some metal tubing and hammering the ends flat. And yeah copper gets quite hard when you hammer it, if you are forging it you can heat it up and compress it down quite firmly, ofcourse it's still copper and can corode/degrade =) Black tape helps that for sure. Well thank's guys, i guess I'l buy the bags see if they work like ^^^ Stated and if I need brackets I'l get some tubing. =D

#6 ·
FYI, on eBay right now they are selling a combo kit, brackets and leather saddlebags for $125 out-the-door with free shipping. I ordered them a few days ago, already received the brackets and am waiting on the bags. The link below should work if you want to check them out, there are 5 left. I will report back when I have them installed and let you know if they are worth the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vulc...ryZ34284QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Adam

#8 ·
Don't know what style of bags you are looking for but these are listed for $66 at MotoLeather.com

I really like the pouches on the back ends. Sun glasses case fits in there nice. Here's the link to them: http://www.motoleather.com/10-8925.html
I called them and ordered the bags and got them in two days for something like $7 shipping. That's why I was in a rush to get the bag supports built before my trip. My plumbing/supports are still working great! ;)

#11 ·
fergy said:
Don't know what style of bags you are looking for but these are listed for $66 at MotoLeather.com

I really like the pouches on the back ends. Sun glasses case fits in there nice. Here's the link to them: http://www.motoleather.com/10-8925.html
I called them and ordered the bags and got them in two days for something like $7 shipping. That's why I was in a rush to get the bag supports built before my trip. My plumbing/supports are still working great! ;)
Those are some nice bags. Any chance I'm lucky enough you got pictures of them on your bike? And was there any turn signal re-location? I quite like mine where they are =)

#13 ·
Hello Group,

Ok guys, I received my brackets and saddlebags from eBay and I have them installed on my bike. I included at least one photo in the "modifications" section of "photos" on this site. I say "at least one" because so far, it wont let me upload more than one. Kind of annoying, but I will keep trying.

My assessment of the product: Cost is $125 to my front door, including the brackets and the leather bags. Good value for the money, however, they are cheap brackets and cheap bags, worth $125 but no more, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the product, I now have lots of extra storage for a very cheap price. One thing, go out and purchase a can or two of leather waterproofing spray ASAP, this is low quality leather and it will be destroyed by even a couple droplets of water.

Hope this helps.

Adam :carryflag

#17 ·
Great set-up. Am trying to put bags on my 1992 750 and just emailed Ccspinner about it; but maybe someone else can help, too? Got brackets (Highway Hawk) and bags (Willie and Max slants), but am nervous about the bags hanging against the shocks. DachWuff - any problems with that? Looks like your bags are right up against the shocks. Did you have modify anything? Thanks for any advice anyone can offer! - CSR

#18 ·
Sorry I didn't get a E-Mail yet. My bags are against the shocks and have not had a problem. Thinking about modifying my bracket that I made, will post picts when I do but have had no problems touching the shocks.

#19 ·
E30Tech, I did move my turnsignals when I put on the Willie and Max bags?
Where did I say I didn't?
Sorry if was misleading, the first set of bags I had I did not need to move them but the new set of bags I got I did.

#20 ·
I've got a set of older W&M large slant bags that were given to me.
I just have them as throw overs with a couple of small bungees under the seat for holding them.
No brackets, no turnsignal relocation and no problems in 4+ years.
Yes, they are against the shocks, but I haven't had any problems there either.

I like the copper pipe mod Fergy ! :beerchug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.