Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well today is a sad day in Tampa! I rode from work to my sons school for a meeting and stopped to fill up on the way. After the meeting I jumped on my bike and fired her up for the quick 5 mile run to the house. Well I noticed that there was light coming from the engine and looked down to see what was going on. And to my surprise my engine and carbs were on FIRE! i ripped my helmet off and tried to blow on it, but it was far too late.

So on the bright side I made a bunch of kids days for giving them the opportunity to see a motorcycle engulfed in flames.

Looking back a while ago I had an issue where the carbs filled the rear cylinder and ran half a tank onto the ground at my sons soccer tournament. After draining the carbs and cylinder I chalked it up as a vacuum leak and the bike ran fine with out any issues for a while and through multiple tanks of fuel. I'm guessing that the same thing happened and the 30-45 min the meeting took wasnt enough to hydo-lock the cylinder like the last time.

Either way my first Vulcan has been one heck of a experience.
View attachment 2334

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
That's horrible, Joe! Glad you were able to jump off before getting singed. Bikes are replaceable, people aren't.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can we all bow our heads and have a moment of silence.:notworthy
Sorry for the loss.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Oh my, what a horrific picture. I can't believe that happened. Go glad you're ok.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
omfg!!!!!!!!! unreal, at least you was able to get a pic for the memory and were ok. that should be the first thread in the verses. "dont do this" hope you arent like me and have more than the min insurance to get you on the road!

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
I dunno, I kinda like that picture, sucks that it was your bike but that pic F'en Rawks:rockon:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sorry to see that happen. Glad to see you aren't hurt.

·
2,528 Posts
Glad you're OK, the pick is unbelievable, looks just like Ghost rider.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Sorry that happened!

Little duct tape and bondo and she'll be as good as new.:doh:

Where in Tampa did this happen?

Jon

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Glad you're OK, that's the most important part...

And as for the bike, well, if it's gotta get totaled and in a way that leaves you physically unharmed, I gotta agree that that picture of motocicleta en fuego is a pretty cool way to see it off. Much better than having it knocked down and run over by a construction truck in a parking lot, for example.

The only way it could be better is if one of those kids standing around had had a cell phone and had taken a pic of you riding a bike on fire.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Sorry about your bike, but I have to agree that that is THE COOLEST picture ever! I say we think about creating a t-shirt from it (and because it's your pic, maybe some of the profit from the sales can go back to you for a replacement?) - I mean, Vulcan is the god of fire, right? If ever there was a suitable image for our bikes, that's the one!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hell of a story man. I'm glad you're OK. And yeah, that pic is something you'll be showing off for the rest of your life.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss joe. Glad to hear you were not injured. Another member related a similar story about his first bike being burned up on the side of the road after old fuel lines cracked and spilled fuel on a hot engine.

I just did a search on "motorcycle fire" and got 43 hits. Here is a link to one thread where Dianna had a fire started by stator wires bundled too tightly together.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7273&highlight=motorcycle+fire

There are a couple of mentions of sample or small fire extinguishers to carry on a motorcycle. Does anyone here carry such an extinguisher, or know where to find one? I suppose a small box of baking soda might be effective if the fire was caught while small.

This should serve as a reminder to all, to check the condition of your fuel hoses and replace them if they are at all deteriorated, ie. soft, bulged, brittle, cracked or weathered.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss joe. Glad to hear you were not injured. Another member related a similar story about his first bike being burned up on the side of the road after old fuel lines cracked and spilled fuel on a hot engine.

I just did a search on "motorcycle fire" and got 43 hits. Here is a link to one thread where Dianna had a fire started by stator wires bundled too tightly together.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7273&highlight=motorcycle+fire

There are a couple of mentions of sample or small fire extinguishers to carry on a motorcycle. Does anyone here carry such an extinguisher, or know where to find one? I suppose a small box of baking soda might be effective if the fire was caught while small.

This should serve as a reminder to all, to check the condition of your fuel hoses and replace them if they are at all deteriorated, ie. soft, bulged, brittle, cracked or weathered.
Ummmm.. I'm one of those that carry a small fire extinguisher with me. (see above pictures for my lesson learned..)
I picked mine up at Home Depot. It's rated for chemical and electrical fires. It's one of those Home safety ones that you keep handy in the kitchen, about quart size, and I keep it tucked in my sidecar within easy reach. I don't think it would be enough to put out THAT fire but if you caught it at first glow... maybe

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Bummer man!! Vulcan's are hot bikes, but that's not how I picture that saying!!

As it's been said, glad you are OK.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Wow! Glad you're OK. Sorry about your bike. Awesome picture.

·
Adventuregeek
162 Posts
Fire extinguishers are the cheapest insurance you can buy for any vehicle. I carry a $10 extinguisher (1:A, 10:BC) in every vehicle I own.

I've seen three or four cars burn from the start (no, I didn't set them!). In every case, it started VERY small, yet the car was a total loss within five minutes. Best fire truck response was about ten minutes. They will extinguish the gutted hulk for ya, but it's up to YOU to actually save the vehicle.

Man, way sorry you lost your ride... :-(

1 - 20 of 40 Posts