Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was just wonderin if all our folks are OK after the tornadoes in the S. E. ...??? We have several members around places that were hard hit, and the death toll is now at about 320 overall...
I can think of a few, VN750_DawgsFan in Ga., dustyhiways in Al., burksbuilds in Ga., ZCraggRatt in Tn., ChuckA in Al., and there are more, and a lot may be without power and or internet, but if you have internet could you check in and let us know you are OK...
My prayers are with you all...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good in Leeds.

Insulation, shingles, siding, plywood littered everywhere in downtown Bham.

The upper 1/4 of the state has zero power; and not like sparse outages, I mean like its completely dark. The power plant transmission lines sustained major damage and the plants have been taken offline.

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are definitely with everyone there and those who lost loved ones. My hopes now are for a respite in the weather and a quick recovery for all the towns hit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
we are good down in southeastern oklahoma we had a tornado about 20 miles from me is the closest so far but we have been getting nailed with alot of hail upwards of softball size and the wind has damaged some houses with busted windows and shingles ripped off but so far we are still ok but its still early in the season

·
Registered
79 Posts
Got electricity back on at the house early this morning. No major damage to my home, just debris and limbs from trees all over the place. Ready for a weekend of cleanup.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to hear from each one that is doin ok, as for me, we had no damage, some dime to small quarter size hail, one tornado went about 12 mi. South and of us, we lost power from +/-5 pm till about 3 am. ...
Nice today, and supposed to be as nice or better tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
We are the lucking ones here at my house. We got power back just a little while ago. All around us is still out. No damage at home but I was working in a building across the road from where the first tornado in Decatur sat down. Thought the building I was in was a goner. It torn the Industrial park to pieces. Sucked windows out of the building I was in. That is the tornado that took out the power here in North Alabama. Torn down the high voltage lines from the nuclear power plant and took down 5 of the high line towers.

The bad think though is all the lives and homes lost to these storms. Ya'll please pray for these families. There are a lot of people in pain here in Bama.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to hear from you Chuck, I was wonderin since you were in N. Ala. ...
I was lookin at a new mower in Tullahoma today, and there were as many folks there from Ala. as Tn. buyin generators... They were unloadin a semi and bringin them out with a fork lift on pallets and off loadin them right back into vehicles to go to homes and gas stations, mostly in N. Ala. ...
I have a friend in Moulton Ala. that e-mails me often, I have e-mailed him but have not heard from him, hope its no more than the power outage... BTW-He is retired from Browns Ferry NP...
Maybe we will hear from others shortly, hope none of our folks suffered loss of love ones... This may pass the 1974 count of 332 lives lost, and most of them were in Ala. ...
God Bless...

·
Registered
54 Posts
well Old Dog,im still kicking! yeah we had some rough weather down here thats for sure! The forcast for next week will be a repeat! i hope the hell i wont be! im 30 minutes south of birmingham we got all kinds of large hail,very high winds in the 200 miles an hour range, and man you should have seen the rain! at times it was horizontial(<< spell check)!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
We are the lucking ones here at my house. We got power back just a little while ago. All around us is still out. No damage at home but I was working in a building across the road from where the first tornado in Decatur sat down. Thought the building I was in was a goner. It torn the Industrial park to pieces. Sucked windows out of the building I was in. That is the tornado that took out the power here in North Alabama. Torn down the high voltage lines from the nuclear power plant and took down 5 of the high line towers.

The bad think though is all the lives and homes lost to these storms. Ya'll please pray for these families. There are a lot of people in pain here in Bama.
Glad to hear from you and Praying for the families affected
Good to hear from you Chuck, I was wonderin since you were in N. Ala. ...
I was lookin at a new mower in Tullahoma today, and there were as many folks there from Ala. as Tn. buyin generators... They were unloadin a semi and bringin them out with a fork lift on pallets and off loadin them right back into vehicles to go to homes and gas stations, mostly in N. Ala. ...
I have a friend in Moulton Ala. that e-mails me often, I have e-mailed him but have not heard from him, hope its no more than the power outage... BTW-He is retired from Browns Ferry NP...
Maybe we will hear from others shortly, hope none of our folks suffered loss of love ones... This may pass the 1974 count of 332 lives lost, and most of them were in Ala. ...
God Bless...
Best wishes and Prayers for your friend and all the others
well Old Dog,im still kicking! yeah we had some rough weather down here thats for sure! The forcast for next week will be a repeat! i hope the hell i wont be! im 30 minutes south of birmingham we got all kinds of large hail,very high winds in the 200 miles an hour range, and man you should have seen the rain! at times it was horizontial(<< spell check)!
don't worry about the spelling, good to hear from all of you.
And thank you Old Dog for starting this thread

·
Registered
192 Posts
Good to hear from each one that is doin ok, as for me, we had no damage, some dime to small quarter size hail, one tornado went about 12 mi. South and of us, we lost power from +/-5 pm till about 3 am. ...
Nice today, and supposed to be as nice or better tomorrow...
Was about the same here, Old Dog. After the hail, the ground looked like it had snowed. Some limbs down but basically that's it other than minor flooding. Power was out for about 6 hours. I hope it's a long time, hopefully never, before the South has storms like that again.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
theres a lot of footage on youtube, I'm sure you guys livin there don't want to see it again but for those elsewhere you can get an idea of what they went through. glad you are all okay!
WOW, JUST WOW!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Alabama has seen it share of small tornadoes but it was the worst day of storms sense April 3, 1974. Phil Cambell got an EF4? right through the middle of the town. The town is just gone. University Of Alabama got a EF5 right though the middle of off campus housing. That was only one of multiple tornadoes to hit there. Multiple students lost their lives. Rainsville city had areas and Guntersville Lake State Park were wiped off the map.

Old Dog, Lawrence county (Moulton) is without power. There was a tornado touched down a few miles North of Moulton. Don't think anyone lost their life in that one. Hope your friend is faring well. We have a curfew in our county because of looting (other counties do also), as people have went to stay with family members esle where with power and some have went to the beach as a mini vacations leaving their homes empty at night.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wasn't too bad here in my little town about 10 miles outside Birmingham. Just some debris falling from the sky. One piece of paper I picked up in my yard had an Oak Grove Address on it, thats about 50 miles from were I live..... pretty scary.
I took a ride down to Tuscaloosa last Thursday, ate at Full Moon BBQ on 15th st and Mcfarland Blvd. Its gone now.
Overall, I feel very Lucky.
Thanks for the concern Old Dog.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
10 pm news just said Hackleburg got an ef4 tornado that cut a path a mile wide through town. God help those people. They can't total how many people were lost cause so many are missing and there is only debris,no buildings left..

Around here gas and food is hard to come by cause the only stores selling anything are stores on generators and a couple of service stations that are where power has been restored. 30 minute wait to get gas anywhere. The new Lowes here has been open the whole time cause their on a gen.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I saw on the news last night, one station said the death toll now passes the 1974 storms and is the worst since 1932...
I have worked a lot in Ala. and stayed in Phil Campbell at one time, also had family down with me and lived in a trailer park in Hamilton for about 3 mos. once...
They are in my prayers, as are all others...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread OD. I was wondering how the folks on this board had fared through the storms too, but my knowledge of the geography of the specific areas is pretty sketchy. Glad to hear everybody reporting in so far has escaped injury or personal loss in their families.

All those who have lost family, friends, homes and livelihoods are in my prayers.

This is a little off topic, but related.
My church has encouraged all members to have a 72 hour emergency kit prepared with food, water, medicines, clothes, first aid kit, battery powered radio, flashlights, cash, etc. Have it stored in a backpack, plastic garbage can or some other easy to transport container if you have to leave in a hurry. Try to always keep your car`s gas tank at least half full.

Review the kit twice a year to rotate any expired foods, clothes that no longer fit growing kids or are not appropriate to the season, etc. First weekend of spring and autumn are easy to remember times to do this.
Just a few ideas to kick start your own personal survival plans if you haven`t already made some.

Best wishes to all for safety through this storm season.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here are a few shots I took Friday as I returned from Atlanta to North West Georgia. Most of them are taken on Lookout Mountain at my in-laws home. Before the Tornado you could not see the Ridge line in the background even in the Winter.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i live in auburn. missed us but many friends injured and homes destroyed nearby
thank you for your concern

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts