Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Pilgrim
Joined
·
18 Posts
Also, lots of tiny nuts threaded on a long string will work. Drop the nuts in and secure the string somewhere. Untie when done and remove string of nuts
True, though might be better just tying the end nuts off and not securing the end, but letting both ends loose so while shaking the tank the whole bundle is free to fly around in the tank. Like the chain, when your done you'd still only need to catch any part of it and pull the rest out with it.
(just sayin')
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
So I just poured the 16 ounces of naval jelly in the tank, and I was wondering if I am supposed to now add water? I shook the tank around after resealing it, but I wouldn’t imagine that did much.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,671 Posts
So I just poured the 16 ounces of naval jelly in the tank, and I was wondering if I am supposed to now add water? I shook the tank around after resealing it, but I wouldn’t imagine that did much.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure about adding water to the naval jelly. You might have to turn the tank periodically to get it coated.

Be careful with water and muriatic acid though! Adding water to acid makes a violent reaction.

I used white vinegar to clean up some rusty tools. Worked great. Left one wrench in too long (three weeks) and it took the chrome off. Rinse the vinegar out afterward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Not sure about adding water to the naval jelly. You might have to turn the tank periodically to get it coated.

Be careful with water and muriatic acid though! Adding water to acid makes a violent reaction.

I used white vinegar to clean up some rusty tools. Worked great. Left one wrench in too long (three weeks) and it took the chrome off. Rinse the vinegar out afterward.


Thank you for the advice. I got through the process without looking like a Parisian. I don’t have a before photo, but here is the after photo. I sprayed wd-40 in it, which is why it looks wet. The neck should give you an idea of how it looked. I just put my gas float back in, and the cap is going on next.


Update - the petcock is now pouring out of both carb tubes, and the selector does nothing. Looks like I will have to reassemble it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,671 Posts
Looks good. I expected a lot more rust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Just wanted to post my results. Followed fergy's instructions to a T, except instead of using nuts and bolts, I used 3 feet of the smallest steel chain that Home Depot had. Made getting the chain out much easier at the end. 100% recommend. Thank you so much for this post!



 
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Top