Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a good way of removing the rust that forms inside the screw heads? These are allen key heads and I 've noticed that not only on my bike but other 750s have the same problem. Rusty heads and rust in the little crevices. Any suggestions?

:motorcycl

[email protected]

·
Registered
238 Posts
PB Blaster and a nylon brush or a toothbrush. To avoid the rust stains in the future (after you get them cleaned) use an air compressor and blow them dry immediately after you wash it or ride in the rain.
If you are refering to actual rust and not rust stains, you will be better off replacing the allen head bolts/screws as soon as you can with new ones. It will save you the headache of stripping them out and not be able to remove them easily.
If you do replace them--spray the allen heads of the new ones with a laquer or acrylic clearcoat before you put them on the bike. Push them thru some cardboard and let them dry for 24 hrs. or more to "cure"
Another trick to try is after you clean the ones you have installed on the bike--steal your wifes clearcoat fingernail polish and brush it inside the allen head as well as around the outside of the head. This will help prevent future rust/stain build-up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
New on the site...
I just aquired a '95 VN750. I had problems with all roughed up chrome nuts and bolts. Break 'em out, brass brush em' up, then chrome polish. reinstall. Go purchase some Ospho at your local hardware / auto store and a couple of insulin syringes from where you can. After first rain or water, observe rust. Load syringe with ospho, put one drip on rusty spot(s), then suck back in excess into syringe. Walk away. The ospho will "convert" the ferric oxide "red rust" to iron phosphate, a black compound that will not rust again. I also broke down my exhausts and treated all rusted spots. Rust problems solved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts