Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1995 vulcan has seen some weather before I bought it. I am trying to get it road worthy but have hit a few snags. The master cylinder being one of them. The top screws are rusted and seem to be rusted in. I have used wd-40 on them many times in the past 24 hours but they aren't budging. I am worried about stripping them out, but other then drilling them out, I have no idea on how to get them out. Any suggestions?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
They make lef hand bits that grab ande remove stuck screws.
You will need to replace the screws after but then you know they are good.
http://tinyurl.com/ybbzng

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
You may want to try a manual impact driver. These use a hammer to supply the impact and can usually remove stubborn bolts without stripping them. They aren't expensive and I have used mine many times on stubborn bolts on the bike. The smaller rotor/stator cover comes to mind.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Mine were the same way on Orleans. Unmoveable. I hit em with PB Blaster multiple times, and let them just soak in it. Then I used a philips haed screwdriver, and tapped gently on the screws themselves. Somtimes I tapped gently around the screws. Finally, I used a drill at low speed - the extra torque was enough to get 'em out. Took me about 2 weeks of blast, try, blast again, try some more before they finally released.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I was going to suggest the PB Blaster as well. Heat around the bolts but not on the bolts sometimes helps by expanding the metal around the bolt. I would try the PB Blaster and a screw extractor (left handed) bit first.

Good luck.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
My 1995 vulcan has seen some weather before I bought it. I am trying to get it road worthy but have hit a few snags. The master cylinder being one of them. The top screws are rusted and seem to be rusted in. I have used wd-40 on them many times in the past 24 hours but they aren't budging. I am worried about stripping them out, but other then drilling them out, I have no idea on how to get them out. Any suggestions?
They are farked... It's not the screws that are locked. It is the cover that is holding the screw in... Been there and done that two times already... Here is what I did...

Take a 1/4" drill bit. Start drilling the head on the screw enough to pop the head of the screw off. Repeat for the other screw. Once you get the master cylinder cover off, the screws will screw out with either your fingers or with a pair of plyers. DO NOT GET ANY SHAVINGS IN THE MASTER CYLINDER.

Don't replace them with the POS screws that Kawasaki sells. I went to Ace Hardware and purchased some stainless metric screws and they have not given me any trouble in 5 (yes, 5) years...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take a 1/4" drill bit. Start drilling the head on the screw enough to pop the head of the screw off. Repeat for the other screw. Once you get the master cylinder cover off, the screws will screw out with either your fingers or with a pair of plyers. DO NOT GET ANY SHAVINGS IN THE MASTER CYLINDER.
Great info Bulldog but I ran into a little snag. I drilled until the screw tops popped off and stopped right there but there isn't any screw sticking out to unscrew. Do I just continue to drill it out or am I better off using the screw extracter?

If the screw extracter, how do I hammer them in so I don't damage the master cylinder? (other then very carefully, lol, is there a special way to do it?) I have never used the screw extracters but seem relatively easy in theory anyways. Thanks!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Normaly you drill a smaller diameter pilot hole not very deep to get the extractor bit started. Usually there are instructions with extractor bits. The ones I've used you set your drill to CCW rotation and start it into the screw at a certain point it will begin backing the screw out.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Great info Bulldog but I ran into a little snag. I drilled until the screw tops popped off and stopped right there but there isn't any screw sticking out to unscrew. Do I just continue to drill it out or am I better off using the screw extracter?

If the screw extracter, how do I hammer them in so I don't damage the master cylinder? (other then very carefully, lol, is there a special way to do it?) I have never used the screw extracters but seem relatively easy in theory anyways. Thanks!!

I drilled and popped both heads off the master cyliner cover. The I removed the cover leaving the screw stubbs sticking around 2-3mm out of the housing. I then was able to grab the screw stub with a set of plyers and remove them. I replaced them with stainless phillips screws of the same size as the OEM Kaw screws.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I drilled and popped both heads off the master cyliner cover. The I removed the cover leaving the screw stubbs sticking around 2-3mm out of the housing.
I did the same but when I removed the cover, the screw stems were flush with the master cylinder. I stopped as soon as the screw head popped off on each side. Oh well, guess I will have to use the screw extractors tomorrow. It was definetly worth a try and good practice. This is my first time trying to remove screws that are stuck and stripped out. :D

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I did the same but when I removed the cover, the screw stems were flush with the master cylinder. I stopped as soon as the screw head popped off on each side. Oh well, guess I will have to use the screw extractors tomorrow. It was definetly worth a try and good practice. This is my first time trying to remove screws that are stuck and stripped out. :D
Ouch... :(

I've never had that happen to me. Hope the screw extractors work...

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Good luck with that! I have been through about 4 screw extractors with Orleans - still looking for one that will do the trick. But they wouldn't keep selling the extractors if someone didn't have one that worked, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. Meantime, back at the eBay ranch, I think someone's selling a master cylinder. Just in case...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts